Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Anyone wanna give up nuts with me?

BeTheChangeBeTheChange Raw Newbie

My body has recently been going NUTS over NUTS, and not in a good way! Yes, I have been eating them raw, soaked, etc, but they just give me too many troubles recently. I think my body needs a break from them. I plan on going back to eating them, but in small moderations! I know that David Wolfe promotes giving the body a break from nuts and seeds once in a while for a couple of weeks, whenever he “feels he needs to” and let me tell you all, I feel I need to! Aside form the digestion woes they give me, I often overeat them and then they bog me down for way too long:( I just had wayyyyy too many almonds, and have decided that enough is enough!

So, is anyone with me? Anyone want to commit to no nuts for…say, 2 weeks? I’m starting tonight, but you can surely join in/start your own 2 weeks at any time!

Hope I have some joiners…cuz damn, I sure love my cashews and almonds… but my body doesn’t!

Also, random question, has anyone else felt a lack of taste for peanut butter since they went raw? I have, and I never ever ever ever ever thought that would happen! It used to be my downfall, like I would go a week raw and then crave PB and eat it with a spoon, but now I just…don’t want it. Wierd. I think because raw peanuts really aren’t that good, at least in my opinion, so maybe it was the roasted salty flavor I was addicted to…

Comments

• yeah I quit nuts cold turkey…I used to be a jar per week person with the PB…it was bad. Nuts in any form just don’t agree with me. I thought it would be really hard but honestly I haven’t looked back. It’s been like a month and I haven’t even thought about them!

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

i think i actually gave them up without realizing it until you posted this. no big deal. i use sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds and avocado now. i’ll join you if you want some support.

• Ooooo…funny you should post this just now. I’ve been going bonkers with trail mix and have been overdoing nuts by a loong shot. Sounds good to me, I’m in :p

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

yeah I haven’t eaten nuts in a while and I feel really good. I have been sticking with flax, hemp, and sesame seed lately.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i am switching to more seeds and less nuts, and I am looking to make a mylk. which do you all like? i was thinking of trying pumkin seed mylk.

• BeTheChangeBeTheChange Raw Newbie

awesome guys! thanks, looking forward to this!

Hm, pumpkin seed milk sounds really amazing… with fresh ginger and cinnamon and nutmeg mixed in perhaps?

Hm, pumpkin seed milk sounds really amazing… with fresh ginger and cinnamon and nutmeg mixed in perhaps?

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

No :)

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Sorry, had to be silly :P Anyway, I have found that the nuts that are really raw are great for me, especially soaked/sprouted, so I have stopped eating a lot of the nuts that I had, until I can afford to order the really raw ones. Best of luck :)

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

I just posted a tasty nutless, seedless recipe “Juan’s Tacos Flacos” you might try. I eat nuts, but try not to overdo them.

• rawjazzrawjazz Raw Newbie

I totally agree about peanut butter! I found that I don’t really like raw peanuts, so I agree that we were addicted to roasted salted peanut butter. I stopped eating nuts completely a few weeks ago and I feel so much better with improved digestion for sure. Fruit and veggies are the way!

I know! ever since the day I made this first post, I’ve had virtually no nuts at all, give or take a few almonds, and I feel sooooo much more balanced. And I haven’t been craving them at all! My big momemt was today at the store when I bought sunflower seeds instead of the huge bag of cashews I was going to buy :) It sounds minor, but at the store is when I always lose discipline, because as soon as I buy something I shouldn’t have, I have trouble limiting myself! But yayyyy seeds

I know! ever since the day I made this first post, I’ve had virtually no nuts at all, give or take a few almonds, and I feel sooooo much more balanced. And I haven’t been craving them at all! My big momemt was today at the store when I bought sunflower seeds instead of the huge bag of cashews I was going to buy :) It sounds minor, but at the store is when I always lose discipline, because as soon as I buy something I shouldn’t have, I have trouble limiting myself! But yayyyy seeds

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

I had to give up nuts due to surprising health issues which have popped up whenever I eat them. I used to eat walnuts like crazy, and pecans too, but I decided to go on a break, and I did, for several months. About a month ago , I tried to eat walnuts again, and my throat swelled and got tender and sore, I got a pounding headache and felt dizzy and weak; just SICK! It’s like my body forgot how to digest them after my long break, or something.

Weirdness…I just tried to eat some crackers with walnuts in them tonight left over from a couple of weeks ago, and WOW, total discomfort, almost immediately I had the swollen/sore throat, and flu-like symptoms!

Another reaction.

So yep, nuts are not for me, although sometimes I will eat pumpkin seeds. No danger of overeating them either and they don’t seem to cause a reaction.

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

Yea, nuts can be so addictive, I always use seeds now instead as they are less fattening and easier for many people to digest. good luck!

www.rawlifestyle.co.uk

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

I gave up nuts and seeds for a while. I agree that nuts are bad, but I’ve found myself eating little bits of walnut based recipes and a spoonful of cashew/almond butter occasionaly. The main thing about nuts is that they are SO addictive! They call Storm Talifero the “Nutman”. Probably eats lots of nuts. I will incorporate a little nut into my diet, but I strongly believe in the power of fruit. I eat a little bit of seed based stuff too (can’t leave my onion bread!). To get around the nut issue, I find myself eating more coconut stuff. Anybody else?

what kind of coconut stuff? How do you incorporate it into things?

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

if rawkid means coconut butter or pulp, you can pretty much use it like you would any fat. coconut pulp mixed with lemon juice and a little water, with some seasonings of your choice (i like thyme, basil) makes an awesome salad dressing. you can also add it to cracker/bread recipes instead of nuts… mix with some veggie pulp and some ground flax seeds and there you go… just dehyrdrate. shaped differently, they could be veggie patties.

• I gave them up mid way of being raw , but I have found now that I have been 100% raw 6-7 months that I can eat any nuts I want and they don’t bother me soaked or un-soaked. I also have stopped freaking out over the “truly raw” cashew thing, I mean I rather make sure that I don’t have my throat break out with some crazy poison oak rash. Plus you can’t beat my strawberry ICE cream I make with them.. Hmmmm I may have to make some tonight.

THANKS

No, not coconut butter. That is way too fatty for me. I mean young coconut meat, which isn’t dehydrated (not that I care, lol) and is less fatty than a fully grown coconut. I also do a little bit of dried coconut (I know it’s pretty much the same as coconut butter) because it makes nice cookies, etc.

I love to incorporate coconutinto frostings, ice creams, cakes, oh the possibilities are endless! Coconut rocks :)

• rachel_akikorachel_akiko Raw Newbie

I gave up nuts about a week ago, because they’re giving me lots of problems lately. especially sunflower seeds. I eventually want to start eating them again, though, but less.

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

No, I’m good.

The amount of nuts that i do eat is pretty insignificant. But I won’t give them up completely. If I am making something that calls for a nut cheese or somthing, I am not going to avoid it!! i eat more seeds than nuts usually though!

I really don’t find nuts addictive at all!

• Hey, I guess we’re not so “nutty” after all! Just kidding! I have also been having trouble with nuts and would love to give them up. Almond butter is definitely my weakness. Also, I use to love peanut butter, but now it makes me sick whenever I eat it. Strange! As for giving up nuts…count me in! Also, has anyone had trouble with eating dried fruit and nuts together? Bad combination? Well, I was just curious. If anyone has any info on this please let me know.

Count me in in terms of giving up nuts! The only recipe I will permit nuts in is your Strawberry Banana Crepes with Banana Almond Cream, Tiny1. Looks too good! And there’s not very much almond butter in it – just like a spoonful. Otherwise, totally count me in!

Tiny1—> one of the reasons I am giving up on nuts is because they make me crave other cooked foods, which I fill that craving with dried fruits. Because I am wanting that “full” feeling, I overeat them beyond belief whenever I combine dried fruit and nuts…Now, for trail mix on hand, I just include seeds instead and I don’t overeat it…maybe it’s mental, but either way, it works! Because yes, they do mess with your digestion just because they are both incredible dense foods. If nuts are not eaten with greens they are virtually impossible to eat once you get in the habit! Maybe you should try it.

Also, everyone, thanks for your support and feedback in this post! I never expected this turnout. I have not eaten nuts since I posted this and am not craving them or missing them or anything! I am going camping with a bunch of people this week who will be depending on peanut butter and salty roasted trail mixes, and I think that I can stay strong and resist. Wish me luck! I will keep this forum in mind when I might be fighting temptation, and also remember how nuts make me feel: sluggish, heavy, and tired! I’ll tell you how it goes in a week!

• Oh, BeTheChange, I wish you great luck in keeping nut free, I was PB dependent for my entire life, could eat it straight out of the jar with my bare hand if you let me. I support anyone in doing what they need to be happier and healthier. I have given up nuts on a daily basis but have allowed them in for some “Treats”. I love chocolate brownies when I’m hormonal :)

• I’m with you. I’ve wanted to do this before, but didn’t commit. This time I’m doing it, because it’s giving me problems too…robbing me of energy that I should be abundant in…making me wake up sleepy…heavy feeling in my stomach…diarrhea in the morning…etc etc lol sorry TMI.

BUT I’m joining you!!

• rachel_akikorachel_akiko Raw Newbie

LOL, harmonylia, I used to eat PB out of the jar too! Once I ate a whole jar just with a spoon for dinner, lol. wow.