Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Anyone wanna give up nuts with me?

2»

Comments

• HEEHEE rachel_akiko I once caught my daughter in the pantry with her little hand in the PB jar all the way up to her elbow, a girl after my own heart.

• The past couple days I have been way over doing it on the almonds and almond butter. Way too much fat for me and I feel yucky afterwards. Peanut butter is still my weakness. I actually ate about three spoonfulls last night after my first whole week of being 100% raw.:( but I think if I just stop eating nuts and nut butters for a while then I will feel better and add a few almonds back into my salads and what not. I’m glad I saw this post!!

• BeTheChangeBeTheChange Raw Newbie

still going strong on no nuts! I feel fantastic! this is so the answer for all of my previous digestive woes!

• definitely will give up nuts with you. I had a sudden bout of the stomach flu, and i can tell you, they are much better going down than up. I think they may have aided my problems with my stomach.

I definitely need to give em up, at least mostly.

• KhaasLadkiKhaasLadki Raw Newbie

I’ve also been considering taking a “nut fast” as I’ve decided to call it, although technically it’s the opposite. I eat nuts all day (a get a LOT of other fruits and veggies, too though), and I go through about a pound of homemade PB in a week (I know it’s sad but continue on lol)! The only reason I am doing this is right now I’m trying to gain weight, and I don’t know what else I should eat that is high in calories/healthy fats?

When I was still on a SAD diet, I was drinking Ensure Plus every day and that seemed to help, but there’s no way I’m even considering one of those cr*ppy things now! Unfortunately when I stopped those I started on PB and nuts.

I was wondering, though: I’ve noticed a lot of people mentioning eating more seeds and less nuts? What is the difference? Nuts don’t necessarily make me feel bad (but neither did cake and ice-cream, before!), but they make my mouth break out in sores if I don’t take a 1-2 day break from them every few weeks. Do you think seeds would be a bit more gentle?

Sorry to blabber on… :D

I’ve also been considering taking a “nut fast” as I’ve decided to call it, although technically it’s the opposite. I eat nuts all day (a get a LOT of other fruits and veggies, too though), and I go through about a pound of homemade PB in a week (I know it’s sad but continue on lol)! The only reason I am doing this is right now I’m trying to gain weight, and I don’t know what else I should eat that is high in calories/healthy fats?

When I was still on a SAD diet, I was drinking Ensure Plus every day and that seemed to help, but there’s no way I’m even considering one of those cr*ppy things now! Unfortunately when I stopped those I started on PB and nuts.

I was wondering, though: I’ve noticed a lot of people mentioning eating more seeds and less nuts? What is the difference? Nuts don’t necessarily make me feel bad (but neither did cake and ice-cream, before!), but they make my mouth break out in sores if I don’t take a 1-2 day break from them every few weeks. Do you think seeds would be a bit more gentle?

Sorry to blabber on… :D

Seeds ARE more gentle, at least in my experience thus far, but are still very dense, easy to overeat, and fat-heavy. A couple of types of seeds make me very tired and drowsy, too, unless I eat them on a leafy green salad.

If you are trying to gain weight, try eating avocados, although they are expensive. They are dense in calories and fats, but also give you great energy and really lubricate your whole system! I know it’s what everyone says—that avocados are the secret to life—but sometimes they really are!

Can I ask why you are trying to gain weight, Khaas?

Yeah… but it’s a long story! lol… Well last year I got TMJ, and I didn’t want to blend my sandwiches/burgers (this was back in the SAD days… it’s been a year last week), so I resorted to fruit smoothies. Well, I had never eaten healthy before in my LIFE - so I knew nothing about nutrition or anything; my smoothies consisted of a few strawberries (the only fruit I liked), some milk, and some ice. 3 times a day. That was it. So… within 6-8 months I had lost 40 lbs… from 160 to 120! I admit I DID need to lose weight, and it had ALWAYS bothered me that I couldn’t (well who can when you eat like I did… sigh), but being 120 has given me some health issues.

Anyway, as I realized that the weight wasn’t going to stop dropping, and I was getting dangerously thin (I’ve never seen so many people worried about me at once!) I did MAJOR research on nutrition and now my family calls me the nutritionist lol, which is how I found out about raw foods. Now that I’m not LOSING weight (eating about 6x a day and lots of green smoothies since my jaw is STILL locked… thus the pound of PB per week – benefits of nuts without the chewing), I’d like to get back up to about 130 lbs, and hopefully that will help with the other health problems the weight loss/lack of nutrition gave me. [haven’t had a ‘cycle’ since August, hair is dry and falls out easily, dry skin].

BUT this is combined with another illness I was born with, called Hypo-hydratic-ecto-dermal-displasia (sp) aka HED, which is a disease where my body does not produce moisture at all. I do not produce sweat, therefore I get overheated EXTREMELY easily, my mouth is constantly dry, I’ve never had a cold (no mucus), when I was little I didn’t even cry tears! Some of its intensity has lessened, I will sweat a little under my bottom lip now, and I do cry tears, but I still don’t get colds – which is nice… i guess. lol. But that’s what they think caused my TMJ - because something about the lack of fluids going to my joints/discs made them swell and move out of place… they THINK. Really they have no clue what made BOTH SIDES of my jaw lock closed. Anyway all that to say… I am trying to gain weight! lol.

I may have to come back and correct some of this but I’m in a hurry right now so I think this should give an ‘overview’ of why.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Seeds are just as bad as nuts, in my opinion. I don’t know why people think they are better. I made the onion bread and endless stomach troubles. But why do you think that eating a pound of peanut butter each week is going to solve your problems? I am a fruitarian, and a child, and am not losing weight. Eating peanut butter is just going to throw you out of balance even more. 120 pounds isn’t that bad, I think it’s a normal weight. (I think????)

RawKidit does depend on Khaas’s heighth and level of activity etc…

Khaas—I applaud you for staying true to a raw lifestyle as much as possible, as I’m sure your doctors want to give you whey protein and ensure and all that junk. Keep going. I used to be extremely underweight as par an eating disorder and gained weight by eating more than I burned off, by a lot, and consciously, and eating lots of fats from nuts, avocados, and whole grains (before I was raw). I know how wierd it is to not have your period and have dry skin etc, as I went through the same thing. As soon as I started having my period regularly, I felt whole again, it was very spiritual and I am actually cery grateful every time I get my period! You will reach this point too, it only takes time and patience, for our bodies are meant to menstruate! Is there a holistic doctor that you could access for some advice by any chance? Perhaps they could give you some insight into gaining weight and such. It sounds like super dense smoothies will be your best bet?

OH! look at what I just found from The Sunfood Diet Success System, Khaas! “The inability to gain weight when eating raw plant foods may also be due to an encrusted intenial tract, which hinders food absorption and causes emaciation. Encrusted mucus on the intestinal wall may eventually be dislodged over time if one eats raw foods, small green salads, juices, blended soups, as well as supplemental enzymes and yoga to strengthen the core. And, the process may be accelerated by a series of 6-10 colonics with an incorporation of probiotics and an herbal cleanse system…the inability to gain weight may also be due to a parasitic infection. If you suspect you have one, try burning them out with daily garlic, onions, hot peppers, ginger, wild mustard greens, and papaya seeds. Once the intestinal tract is totally detoxified, then the body will establish its real weight”—>is is possible that you have dried up stuff in your intestine that is preventing food absorption because of your HED? I wonder…!

Additionally, he mentions that one cannot gain weight on fats without eating an equal amount of greens to assist the body in assimilation of minerals and amino acids (both necessary for fat absorption). David Wolfe’s personal salad for weight gain contains tomatoes (for their high water content), macadamia nuts (high fat content) and kale leaves (for their mineral and protein density).

I hope this helps…

duuuude. I walked past the peanut butter aisle today and didn’t even pause to THINK about it. Crazy. And I mean CRAZY!

RawKid: I guess my high metabolism and somewhat active lifestyle just don’t work for the weight that I’m at! I’m 5’7” – 5’8”, and I can feel that I am too thin. I don’t know how to describe it, but I’m almost embarrassed at how skinny I am! Eating the peanut butter is just one way that I’m trying to healthily boost my fat/calorie content with a raw food instead of resorting to the protein drinks/unraw foods. I am doing this not only to gain weight but, like I mentioned, to get my period back.

Wow, BeTheChange, thanks for the info! Yeah, that is probably possible that I have a bunch of junk in there from my HED… never thought about that! I will try to get more greens with my fats, also. I do eat a lot but some days I know I don’t get as much as I should be.

Had a spoonful of raw almond butter today just to SEE, and EW, my body, mouth, and in turn my mind, did not like it one bit.

• thecavsmanthecavsman Raw Newbie

How about avocados? Does anyone know if that counts as a “green fat”? I, like Khaas, am also feeling way too skinny right now. Even my mom and my sister, when I visited them, thought I looked funny. I’m 5’4 (male) and now only 120 or so pounds. I was 140-145 when I started raw and I have been 155 in the past – never appearing overweight at all.

But I don’t want to stock up on nuts all day – not that they are bad – they are just really boring to eat and I’m not a soaker so I’d prefer something more alkaline and interesting. I love the groovy guacamole recipe – Can I just eat a lot of that instead of nuts? A lot of this is brought on by the fact that I’m going on a beach vacation soon.

• KevlarKevlar Raw Newbie

I think you people are nuts. :P

You’re going to end up skin and bones if you eliminate the fats from your diet. If you’re trying to lose weight, I’d say fine, give up nuts for a while, but other than that, nuts/avocados/oils are probably the only things that keep you from looking like the stereotypical vegan stick-figure.

Try taking enzyme pills when you eat nuts. Most of the nuts found in the market aren’t actually raw: http://chetday.com/nutprocessing.html

All almonds sold in stores are now required by law to be pasteurized, even if they say “raw” on the package, but you can still buy unpasteurized almonds directly from the grower: http://www.almonds-from-california.com/cgi-bin/...

• For those with nut problems, maybe varying the type of nuts you eat will help. Not only can it get boring to only eat almonds all day, but it’s doubtless not as good for your tummy to only feed it a monoculture of nuts. I pack myself a lunch for work everyday that has at least five types of nuts in it. Almond, walnut, brazil, peanut and pistachio are my favs, but I’ve gone pecan, hazelnut and cashew. Nut butters seem like it would be very easy to overeat, because the act of chewing sends fullness messages to your body. For milk, I’ve just discovered the joys of hemp milk, and I don’t think I’ll ever go back. Tastier than almond, less pulp, and healthier too! Get my EFAs! I get the almonds, walnuts, and pistachios from local sellers, the rest from my local health food store, except the raw peanuts, which I get online.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

nope nope nope nope nope kevlar, i am 12 and at my top-shape weight without nuts or seeds. it doesn’t have any impact to vary the nuts at all, i was eating almonds, cashews, walnuts and pecans and nothing but constipation. by the way ALL almonds from california are pasteurized, it doesn’ matter if it says raw or not. check out zoe’s site www.purelyraw.com i tae SO many enzymes with my nuts, it doesn’ matter. maybe other people aren’t doing well without nuts,mbut i have to tell ya i can’t eat nuts. i do eat a little bit of olive oil and avocado though, but not too much. i thick that’s helping a little.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

The law about almonds says that almonds have to be pasteurized if they go through a “handler” – like whoever buys them from the farm and then sells them to stores, or the stores thamselves maybe. But, you can buy them from the farm and they don’t have to be pasteurized.

Other nuts that aren’t really raw unless you buy them in the shell or buy them specially online ( www.realrawfood.com or other sources that have really raw nuts) include: pecans, cashews, macadamias, Brazil nuts…

Since my last post (previous page), I have slowed wayyyy down on my nuts – I spent 1 whole day without them and then cut back a lot! I seem to feel much better – I’m eating more sunflower/pumpkin seeds whereas before it was mostly cashews. I even cut the peanut butter back a bit!

Oh, I should mention, the fat I cut out with nuts, I replaced with avocados and balanced them with a LOT of green veg. And guess what? I gained a pound already! Apparently nuts do not do for me what I thought they would’ve been… things are so much different when you’re not eating SADly!

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i didn’t eat nuts for like 2 days, only seeds and then today i had some almond milk. yuck! i couldn’t finish it. my stomach didn’t feel so good afterwards, either. once you stop eating them it is hard to go back.

• ummmm so yaa pretty much just ate way to much cashews!!! urgh. well i guess i’m in… plus,, they really make my stomach hurt after i eat them, so wat’s the point? well, besides the fact that they taste so good!! ;) o well i got some discipline in me!!!

and good luck to everybody else who’s trying to give em up!

• I can not digest nuts!! So why does my mouth water when I see a bag lying on my boyfriends desk? Ugh. Someone please help me get over it.