Are oats raw?

I love to make my chia and oatmeal breakfast with hemp mylk (yum). I buy organic oats but I’m not sure if they are raw. I know there have been a few threads on this topic with various bits of information. I was hoping someone could clear it up once and for all.

Thanks

Comments

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Oats, even organic, tend to not be raw. They are usually steamed to prevent gross things from growing on them. However, I do know sprouting oats are raw(if you want to roll them yourself or just soak them and put them in a processor), but sprouting oats tend to cost a lot.

Some folks here say they have bought from stores that claim to have unsteamed/raw oats, so if you can trust your source, there’s an option. I’m sure they’ll come and post. I love oats too!

Edit: oops, I just read another site that seems to say only the oats destined to be rolled are steamed. But last year I was on another grain site that said even the oats sold in bins at health stores have been either steamed or dried at high temperatures. Now I’m confused! >:(

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

All oats are streamed to prevent germination and to stop worms and bugs eating them. Bugs are clever they won’t touch cooked oats! Some raw food websites like Alissa Cohen and RawLiving have sources for oats which they claim are truly raw. I know Raw Living’s are because I bought some and they went off and were gross after a week or two. I have never, ever known oats to go off like that so they were definately raw. They were rolled and they were quite different to any other oats I have had too.

I didn’t know you could get sprouting oats. I wonder if they’re cheaper than the really raw oats?

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

I buy fresh unheated rolled oats from goldminenaturalfoods.com. They also sell regular rolled oats so I’m pretty sure these truly are unheated. They also are much firmer and chewier than regular organic rolled oats I bought at the health food store.