Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

FRUIT FLYS

Okay picture this.. I have fuits and veggies all over my kitchen, and in my refrigerator even if I wanted there to be room there isn’t because it is filled with greens. SO getting to the point I have grapefruit, lemons, oranges, cucumbers, mangoes, tomato’s on a shelf some in my root cellar, I come home today and there were 15 FRUIT flys chilling in my living room. Has anyone ever had this problem and what can I do to get rid of them. I of course only have women in the house and they are freaking out which in turn is making me completely nutty hearing them scream everytime a fly comes swooping down… HELP>

Comments

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Fruit flies are tiny little things that shouldn’t freakout anyone… I don’t know this as a fact, but have always been taught that they come from inside ripe banannas, the peel I think… Anyway, once you have them, it is difficult to rid yourself of them…. They live a short life, 24 hours or so but have sex and multiply even faster… LOL!!! So they are reproducing faster than you can chase them away and evolve from your produce… Good luck!!!

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

there are these little net things you can put on top of your fruit bowl. then they can’t touch the fruit. there are also some natural traps you can put out.

http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef621…

• if you put some fruit in a bowl and pour a little dish soap on it and then put suran wrap over the bowl with a few tiny holes poked in it, the fruit flys will go through the hole and not be able to get back out and the dish soap will kill them quicker. it sounds weird but it works also you can suck them up with a shop vac if you have one handy. put a few bowls around and they will be gone in a day or two. good luck!

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

ardesmond2~ Sounds like you are having a rough nite… :(

Here are a few websites that explain about fruit flies and how to rid yourself of them non-topically and a no kill option:

I have used this method but instead of the clear wrap on the top of the jar, I made a cone out of paper with a small hole at the bottom, inserted the pointy side down, and taped the cone to the jar so there was no way out around the edges.

There are tons of sites on the net about killing fruit flies. Simply enter “kill fruit fly” in a search engine. Include “non-toxic” to narrow search to those types of methods.

Have a fly free night. :)

• southernloversouthernlover Raw Newbie

I just got them too. (Fruit flies aren’t hardly noticable, though, they are the big regular ones, they’re tiny…still annoying!) Thanks for the post.

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

We tend to get them in the summer here. Be meticulous about not leaving out any overripe fruit or chopping boards that have juice from cut fruit on them. Keep all fruit covered and check for any fruit going off. Also, you can hang up a stick fruit fly catcher and they are drawn to it and stick to it. Not a nice sight but it works rather well. I also used to leave out apple cider vinegar in a glass of water and they used to like this and would end up drowning. Poor things, but we don’t like them hanging around our food!

• I was somehow able to at least slightly control the amount of fruit flys last summer. What I did was, first of all, I washed my bananas after I bought them, in case of fruit fly eggs or fruit flys hiding somewhere on the banana, getting ready to invade my kitchen. THen, I had my compost garbage in the freezer, so that the flies couldn’t get to it :-) It worked pretty well. THey are present here as well now, with the spring and summer and warmer climate. Would love to get rid of them, but don’t want to kill them.

• Okay maybe I have a different problem, maybe these are not fruit flys because they were huge, and they didn’t give the appearance that they were baby flys “AT ALL” ..... My house was built in the 30’s so maybe I have some little small area that is open to the outside that these flys are getting in. I don’t want to kill them, but we had over 7 flys and we couldn’t take it. Also I buy my fruit by the box so there is a lot produce out on the counters and shelves and putting these items in the refrigerator is not an option. Has anyone ever tried fly paper that you buy from the store.

• Okay maybe I have a different problem, maybe these are not fruit flies because they were huge, and they didn’t give the appearance that they were baby flies “AT ALL” ..... My house was built in the 30’s so maybe I have some little small area that is open to the outside that these flies are getting in. I don’t want to kill them, but we had over 7 flies and we couldn’t take it. Also I buy my fruit by the box so there is a lot produce out on the counters and shelves and putting these items in the refrigerator is not an option. Has anyone ever tried fly paper that you buy from the store.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

My bro’s house gets invaded with the regular flies that come in cuz he has no screen doors & 3 kids going in & out a lot to play, etc. He uses the sticky strips (flypaper) that comes in a roll. You just hang it up by one end & unroll it and it hangs down in a spiral. It works – they get dead flies stuck to it all the time.

• I tried the fruity-trap that someone tipsed about here, and it actually did catch (by now) some of the fruit flies.And I don’t have to kill them – yey! Doesn’t sound like frui flies, Desmond. Good luck with the flypaper – they used it in Jamaica and it seemd to work fine. But the flies will hang on there and be stuck until they die.. :-| (I hope not, but I think that’s how it works..they just get stuck, not killed at once).

• LOL turns out I had a dead squirrel in my fireplace the whole house smells like DURIAN .. TEE HEE>..

THanks for everyones suggestgions… I have thrown the carcass away “poor buddy” and now I have to say I am killing the flies no time for paper they are huge… about the size of a eraser…...

PEACE

• LOL turns out I had a dead squirrel in my fireplace the whole house smells like DURIAN .. TEE HEE>..

THanks for everyones suggestgions… I have thrown the carcass away “poor buddy” and now I have to say I am killing the flies no time for paper they are huge… about the size of a eraser…...

PEACE

PEACE

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Oh hey, this is a good post. I recently saw one fruit fly (I think that’s what it was). We hadn’t had them since we tried to plant some herbs inside, last year.

So, they come from bananas – eh? That explains it… that’s just about when I started having problems… and these bananas weren’t the best but they were ripening.

Thanks for the info… I maybe try what marjorie suggested with the fruit & saran wrap.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

That’s too funny :) BUT for fruit flies, this works for me, especially with bananas…when I bring them home, I put them in one of the “Everfresh” green bags, tie it closed, and leave bananas on the counter top. The bananas will be able to breath, won’t rot as quickly, and NO FRUIT FLIES!!! Woo HOO!!! :) I also do that with my pinapples in the Summer. Vegetables are no problem, but fruit seems to be in the warmer months, but those green bags work great for that! I guess you could always put your fruit in a bowl and drape one of the bags over the top of the bowl and fasten with a rubber band…I was amazed!

That’s too funny :) BUT for fruit flies, this works for me, especially with bananas…when I bring them home, I put them in one of the “Evertfresh” green bags, tie it closed, and leave bananas on the counter top. The bananas will be able to breath, won’t rot as quickly, and NO FRUIT FLIES!!! Woo HOO!!! :) I also do that with my pineapples in the Summer. Vegetables are no problem, but fruit seems to be in the warmer months, but those green bags work great for that! I guess you could always put your fruit in a bowl and drape one of the bags over the top of the bowl and fasten with a rubber band…I was amazed!

That’s too funny :) BUT for fruit flies, this works for me, especially with bananas…when I bring them home, I put them in one of the “Evertfresh” green bags, tie it closed, and leave bananas on the counter top. The bananas will be able to breath, won’t rot as quickly, and NO FRUIT FLIES!!! Woo HOO!!! :) I also do that with my pineapples in the Summer. Vegetables are no problem, but fruit seems to be in the warmer months, but those green bags work great for that! I guess you could always put your fruit in a bowl and drape one of the bags over the top of the bowl and fasten with a rubber band…I was amazed!

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

I don’t feel good about killing any living thing, but fruit flies can get pretty annoying!!! I just pour them an nice glass of red wine, and if they want to dive in there and drown, that’s there problem. This actaully works! Hey, it wasn’t ME who actaully killed them! ;) No bug guts on my hands!!

Hey, dead squirril? DURIAN? Durian does not smell like dead squirril! ardes….... sheesh!

• sugar water works 2 :)

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

*bump* I want some more ideas, as summer is coming around. What do you do to keep those buggers away?