Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

aloe vera juice

I heard it’s good for digestion, so I bought a bottle and took a swig. Is it supposed to be nasty? Or did I just get a bad batch?

Comments

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

It is bitter and I have never tasted it alone, YOU are very brave!!!

Go ahead and use it as I’m sure it is ok… I put it into my smoothies for breakfast and lunch, but never have tried it alone…

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

It is supposed to have a strong taste – if it doesn’t you got a watered down one. It is high in MSM so it might be bitter which is normal. I have a bottle myself but I don’t drink it – I use for skin and hair.. Make sure you check the ingredients list to make sure it doesn’t have more preservatives than aloe vera juice. I was able to find one with just Aloe Juice in it. It is best to make your own though of course.

• It has citric acid and potassium sorbate too. Maybe I’ll add it to a thick smoothie. Or buy the dang plant.

• Lily of the Desert makes a preservative free aloe vera juice. I’ve seen it at Whole Foods. I personally use aloe leaves from our garden. I add 1-2 giant leaves into my smoothies. I’d say that smoothies or mixing it with some juice is the route to go. It totally masks the nastiness.

• SamiliciousSamilicious Raw Newbie

Oh great. Ive been eyeing the Lily of Desert brand for some time now. Does anyone have anything against this brand? Does getting store bought aloe vera juice matter like how it matters with fruit and veggie juice where fresh is best?

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

The Lily of the Desert I saw had some preservatives in it – maybe there are two versions of it?

I don’t think you can get freshly juiced aloe vera juice until your store has a juice bar that will “juice” it right there for you. Otherwise, it is in a bottle so therefore, not very fresh. I got the organic stuff. I would at least try to go for the organic stuff.

• JDJD

Dear Aloe Users:

I was thinking about getting into aloe juice. How big of a piece do you think I would need to juice to get the benefits (totally assuming I do not remove the skin, is that correct)? I have a juicer at home.

Also, if you put it in a smoothie, I’m assuming you do remove the skin, correct?

• I got lily of the desert this weekend…mine only has citric acid added to it. some others did have a couple preservatives in them, so i steered clear. I’ve been doing one tablespoon 3 times a day to start…the bottle says people take anywhere from 2-8oz a day though. it tastes a little gross, but it feels goooood in my stomach right after i take it. i like it

• southernloversouthernlover Raw Newbie

Fresh aloe vera is so disgusting. I can’t take the bitterness. It’s impossible to get out of my mouth!