Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

fermentation in dehydrator

I made some kamut bread dough yesterday, using sprouted kamut, olive oil, salt, honey…and put it into the dehydrator overnight with intention to flip it in the morning. I just checked on it and some of the thicker, and even the thinner, pieces seem to smell and taste kind of sour. Not even bad, but just sour, as if its fermented. If its dehydrated well is it still safe to eat?

Comments

• You know, elizabethh, I had the same thing happen when I tried to make bagels, I tossed them cause I couldnt stand the sour taste. But as for safety Im not sure.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

I have noticed this with my L’Equip dehydrator when I used the mesh sheets. After a long time of using them the dehydrator kind of started to fall apart, so we threw out the useless mesh sheets and bought parchment paper instead. I just cut a piece of it and use it to dehydrate on. Since then, all my problems have been solved, no spoilage or anything. I figure it could be mesh sheets don’t work. The other cause I have noticed is that if your kamut sprouts may have collected a little mold and bacteria as they sprouted. To answer your question in short, no, I don’t think it will be a big problem to eat the kamut bread. Good luck!

• You could also try starting the bread out at a higher temp appx 150 to start for the first 2 hours to get the core temperature up. Have you tried this?

• kevin7197kevin7197 Raw Newbie

If it has a slightly sour/sweet smell it’s completely normal. It’s actually a form of sourdough.

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

i thought of the sourdough thing myself at first sniff but then i thought they cook the sourdough bread to kill the bacteria? i could be wrong…hmm

• SamiliciousSamilicious Raw Newbie

I’m about to order an excalibur dehydrator and hope I don’t come across the same issue!

elizabethh, what kind of dehydrator do you have? By RawKidChef’s theory, did you use mesh sheets for your dough?

Hey samilicious, my excalibur arrived today! I didn’t make anything with it yet, but it really looks top notch like there wouldn’t be a problem.

rawkidchef, lucky you!! congrats! did you order the teflex sheets too? they are free from the website i’m ordering from. hope you post super yummy recipes so I can try them when I get my dehydrator!

• Its best to do stuff like that on sheets (either parchment paper or paraflexx non-stick sheets) BUT its really important to turn over your breads or crackers as soon as possible otherwise they WILL ferment. When laying out your batches on the sheets arrange them to make it easy to flip over once dried on one side. Its probably not bad to eat the fermented experiences but its not very enjoyable or tasty. If the things we make have the slightest taste of ferment our children do not want to eat them but when they are well dried on both sides our dehydrator goodies disappear quickly.

Samilicious, I did get the teflex sheets. I got the dehydrator from rawguru, where they gave me 5 free teflex sheets. I expected them to be the Excalibut brand, but they were just still regular teflex sheets though. They are really good though and it doesn’t matter I don’t think! Tefelx sheets are teflex sheets! I got the other 4 too (only extra 15$!) Yeah! I will start making super yummy stuff and I have a whole bunch of recipes on paper to try. Hope you like yours too! :)

PS I got free shipping, did you?

• SueSue Raw Newbie

rawkid…when you say “mesh sheets” are you talking about the rigid plastic sheets with lots of holes that come with the dehydrator?? I have an excalibur and I use the mesh sheets all the time. I think they’re better than the teflex because there is more room for the food to breathe and dry faster. The only time I use teflex is when I’m making something mushy that would leak. But even then, I transfer it to the mesh sheet when it is more firm.

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

I have had the same problem. Make sure the dehydrator is a bit above the temperature it says because it takes it a while to heat up and actually get to that temperature. That solved my problem.

Rawkidchef, yes, I get free shipping too! And all 9 of those sheets for free! The website is http://www.rawveganbooks.com and it sounds like the best deal there is (unless anyone knows another source that can beat that..) However, since I live in Canada it might take a little extra time for me to recieve it because its an American website. What we are arranging to do is to have our family friends, who have a house down in Seattle and drive back and forth across the border all the time, to get it for us. This way we can avoid shipping charges!