Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Braggs Liquid Aminos..

I was researching this (mostly because I saw it in a recipe and did not know much about it) and came across this article: http://www.welikeitraw.com/rawfood/2005/06/brag… Does anyone know of the validity of this and is the ingredient absolutely necessary? I’d love to know more, thanks!

Comments

• Whoa! Weird. I’m going to have to digest that one. Pun intended.

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

I always had a feeling there something up with that stuff. One time I tried that it it made me feel queezy. YUCK!

• I guess I know now not to use it! Doesn’t sound very healthy at all.

nah.. if you want something salty get some dulse and mix it with your recipe. Dulse is a reddish seaweed that has natural salt from the ocean. If you cant get your hands on that, make some celery salt. Get some celery and process in the a food processor, then place the mush on a teflex sheet and put it in the dehydrator. Let it dry until you are left with dried up pieces of celery. Celery contains a lot of natural sodium.

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

I hadn’t heard any of this about Braggs previously, but the theories brought up are pretty disturbing. It doesn’t seem quite right that an unhealthy production process can be shielded from the public as a trade secret.

I was really happy with Braggs namely because I try to stay away from wheat, which is present in Nama Shoyu. Wonder which is worse for you (Braggs or Nama Shoyu)? And, if neither is really all that healthy, why do so many raw food recipes contain them?

There is a recipe on welikeitraw.com that looks a lot like the dulse/celery suggestion for adding salt to dishes:

Dehydrate celery and lemon. As the celery dries out it hardens and becomes thin like floss. Place both in a coffee grinder and pulverize into powder. The powder is very salty, with a slight celery flavor, making it a great addition to guacamole, salsa, raw soups, crackers, etc.

These are great ideas for adding a dry salt flavor, but what about a recipe that calls for a half cup of Nama Shoy/Braggs? What would be a good substitution?

Hmm if you want salt flavor, then add some apple cider vinegar. I don’t know why but anything thats mixed with vinegar tastes salty and is full of flavor. But if you really must go with anything else go with sea salt. Just don’t overdo it. Salt in large amounts can be very harmful, not to mention dehydrating..

• braggs liquid aminoes are really just a soy sauce it does taste yummy on some things and is great to season raw veggie burgers