Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw Dining in SF/OAK

What is your favorite raw restaurant (and menu items!) in the Bay Area?

Comments

• At Cafe Gratitude in SF, I’ve fallen mad for the “Mahalo” pizza…the hawaiian pizza. It’s crazy with flavor…ughhhh that place is amazing I can’t stand it.

• Oh, STOP…I used to live six blocks from Cafe Gratitude and miss it constantly! I was obsessed with the “blue manna”—a cheese made with blue-green algae. And the margarita made with sole!

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Audrey – I don’t remember seeing the “blue manna” cheese – was that at a certain Cafe Gratitude loction? What did they serve it with? I normally get that cheese and cracker plate.

I just got the recipe book and I am making the PepperJack cheese and Almond toast – the first raw bread I ever had that I thought was actually good! The PepperJack Cheese has Irish Moss in it – is that maybe what you are thinking of?

Oh, Cafe Solestice is very good too – they have a cacao milkshakey thingy that is sooo good!

Has anyone been the that raw juice place in Berkeley?

• Queenfluff, they only have it sometimes…I may have had it at the one in the Mission, but definetly had it many times at the one in the inner Sunset. I think I had it with some appetizer sampler—with olive tapenade and pesto and crackers and some other things. The base is definitely the cashew cheese base—I have the recipe book too—I think it’s “farmer’s cheese,” but is not the pepperjack cheese. I actually tried many times to get the blue manna recipe, but they said they’d only give out what was in the cookbook. I also emailed them a month or two ago—they’d said they were scouting a location in Los Angeles—and they have picked a place in my neighborhood, so for all us LA folk, yay!

• Slosh-uhSlosh-uh Raw Newbie

I loooooooove Cafe Gratitude!!! As far as other raw restaurants, I’ve had some stuff from Alive!, and they’ve always been awesome. And I’ve never tried this place, but if you feel like going way way out into the sunset district then Judahlicious has raw food too.

• Slosh-uh, where’s Judahlicious?

Judah and 44th. Just take the N line out to 43rd. It takes forever to get out there if you live downtown, but it could be worth it. Plus its near the beach, so you could make a nice day out of it.

• I used to live on Lincoln x 16th, so it would have been a lovely bike ride…I’ll have to check it out next time I’m back in town. What do you like to eat there?

Never been so I wouldn’t know. They have a good looking burrito on their website though, you should look them up.

• Cool, thanks! I want their hemp soft serve.

• i’m always hearing about the hemp ice cream at judahlicious. i went there once and they didn’t have it. i got a smoothie, it was pretty good.

i love:

1) cafe gratitude everything 2) cafe gratitude especially, sampler plate, nachos, tiramisu 3) the farmer’s market alive! cart 4) alive! cheesecake

have not made it down to cafe soulstice. have been meaning to for a long time.

• noted: cafe gratitude & alive! ... everything listed sounds yum. can’t wait to indulge.

thank you

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Audrey – Ah, darn! That does sound good! I have had the Pepperjack and I think I have had the farmers cheese before. If it has cashew, I think I can figure out how to make it – what does it taste like? Blue cheese?:)

I heard they are considering building a Cafe Gratitude closer to my house here in the South Bay. That would be great!

I love Judahlicilous. I have been there several times. Yes, the hemp ice cream is to die for! Their smoothies are great too! Sometimes they have hemp milk for sale too in cute little bottles. Their raw food is ok – they do have a few cooked foods like bagels too. I can’t remember what I had for the raw food – some things I liked and some were so-so. They do change the food menu every once and while. But yes, get the hemp ice cream!

• Queenfluff, the base for the farmer’s cheese is soaked cashews, white miso, salt, and a little water. The blue manna doesn’t taste like blue cheese—I don’t know that it even has a particular taste; but it was literally bright blue (from the algae) and acted like an instant anti-depressant when I ate it (I should probably buy some algae!). If you figure out how to make it, let me know!

• Mandelicious, is Cafe Soulstice in San Mateo?

• I go to the Bay Area a lot, and eat at Cafe Gratitude and Alive. Cafe Gratitide is like my favorite restaurant evah! I am cheerful, enlightened, and bliss. I bought their cookbook last time I was there, just so I could learn to make I am Bliss. Just wait till my cleanse is over! Woo Hoo! I heard a crazy rumor that they were going to open one up in LA. (Crosses fingers)