Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

10 day master cleanse

Comments

• FruginiFrugini Raw Newbie

I have just heard of master cleanse and have so many questions! First off, someone told me that it is not as good a cleanse as a juice fast and hard on your body. Is this true?

• Hi lindsaylou,

Actually in my opinion the master cleanse is a juice fast as you are using lemons and limes. I really enjoy the cleanses and was really looking forward to starting this one as soon as the summer visitors and traveling was completed. I completed a ten day cleanse in May and did not feel like stopping. I knew it was my body telling me that there was more to be cleaned out. 10 days is the considered the minimum for a solid clean out. I did not find it hard on my body at all, however I did make sure that I consumed all of the required amounts of the concoction as well as the additional amounts of spring water.

Hope this helps.

• The only more beneficial fast for you body than a master cleanse is a water fast. If you are interested in doing a cleanse, check out Peter Glickman’s book, “Lose Weight, Have More Energy, and Be Happier in 10 Days.” It explains step by step how the cleanse works, all of the perks, plus answers to critics and skeptics. I completed a 10 day cleanse in July this year, and I plan on doing another one in mid-October. It’s a very spiritual experience and I came to a lot of realizations about my relationship with food. However, I have found that people who do it solely for weight loss do not last long at all. If you are in it to win it and clean out your body from all the ewwy toxins, then you should do great! It’s not easy by any means, but the outcome is more than worth it. Anyhow, if you are planning on doing it, or even just want to know more about it, read the book! It’s great!

• I just finished a 10 day Master Cleanse on Tuesday as a way to transition myself into a vegan lifestyle…I’ll probably do another one in a couple years as a way to transition into a raw lifestyle. If you’re truly doing it for the right reasons-to rid you body of toxins and improve your health then I think it is an amazing experience. Something that really helped me get through it was the support I found on www.43things.com. Many people add Master Cleanse as one of their goals and then blog about it each day. It’s a great way to record your experience and hear about others going through the same thing at the same time! Good luck everyone who is doing this, and congratulations for the start of your journey towards a new and healthier you!

• Hi, I’ve fallen off the raw wagon and really want to get back to healthy eating. I’m on day 6 of my second cleanse and am planning on going for 10 days, but I might go longer. Then it will be back to raw foods again, yeah!

KathyKath – I totally agree with you that this a very spiritual experience and that it really helps me to refoucus how I look at food. Once I’m done I have a renewed willpower to resist SAD food.

cavegal – 20 days, wow! good luck.

• iluvelife wrote: “Something that really helped me get through it was the support I found on www.43things.com. Many people add Master Cleanse as one of their goals and then blog about it each day. It’s a great way to record your experience and hear about others going through the same thing at the same time!”

There is also a bulletin board on The Master Cleanse Website that I found to be unbelievably helpful. I’m actually pretty sure I wouldn’t have made it through my cleanse without the support of that board. There are people there who are currently cleansing, plus people to just answer any questions that arise throughout the cleanse. Very very supportive! I’m definitely looking forward to starting my next cleanse, as I have had some trouble staying raw lately and I need to reset my system. There’s no better way to do this than a Master Cleanse, in my opinion!

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

Okay, reviving this thread for a while! I'm on day 1 of my 10 to 14 day cleanse(depending on how I'm feeling). I've never done a master cleanse but I've been researching alot and am taking the plunge!

So, right now, I'm drinking THE drink and tons of water. I drank my cup of tea already earlier this morning. I decided to do the tea in the morning and the salt water flush at night because I don't have time with work for the flush in the morning and the tea takes several hours and it much less explosive.....apparently.

Anyway, hopefully some of you will join me and we can get a support group going!

• wichtenwichten Raw Newbie

kudos to you troubles! How are you feeling so far?

Im on day 22 of my juice feast. Its not like the MC, but you do poop out some interesting things. I've lost 9 lbs so far, and i love sliding back into my skinny jeans with no problem. :)

I'm doing good so far! I didn't get the ratios of my drink quite right....heavy on the cayenne so it's burning my throat a bit but I'll fix that when I get home. Right now I'm feeling totally normal. From other fasts I've done (water, juice, liquid) I know that the third night will be a rough one! I'm prepared though and I'm really really glad I'm finally doing this. I hope I can get my digestive system on track. I'll be doing mostly liquids and smoothies after this fast and only solids for a small part of the day. I tend to do better without solids but my mouth wants them alot. ha

I did the saline flush and it didn't work at all. I even used the higher amount of salt like they said....I have a really bad digestive system.

I'm gonna stick with the tea for a big and maybe after it clears me out the salt water flush will do better.

• I just checked out an in depth Master Cleanse article the other day and it really helped me understand it. Here it is:

http://themastercleanse.org/

I also read that it is better to use agave rather than maple syrup. That is such good news because I am 100% Raw and didn't want to use the maple syrup. I bet that helps the digestion thing too. I am going to start around the 4th of July just so I can swish out my liver the rest of the way. Keep up with the updates so you can be the Master Cleanse guinea pig:)

Nicole

http://thefitnessfreak.blogspot.com/

I've used that website too!

I'm sticking to maple syrup because it's such a natural sugar....I don't use as much as recommended but nearly. I'm very high raw but agave is highly processed and I just don't feel comfortable eating it after all of that. Temperature isn't the only factor me.

• You go Troubles! :)

Regarding you SWF and tea situation- Have you checked out Glickman's forums of others' advice who've been through it? http://therawfoodsite.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135

Regarding agave syrup: I know some people use other things instead of the Grade B maple syrup (like agave, honey, molasses, etc) and say they had positive results from their MC, but the organic Grade B maple syrup is recommended because of it specific mineral content. Honey supposedly spikes blood glucose rapidly and then dives off quickly, along with it and other other sweetners do not have the same amount of minerals present that help keep the body functionoing at peak level during the cleanse. I am not familiar with the mineral content of agave syrup, but I would just be wary of using substitutes. I would just recommend researching very thoroughly before using other replacements. Maple syrup is not raw, but some raw foodists believe agave syrup is not really raw either, even when processed at the lower temps than some companies. But to each their own and good luck to all who take on the MC and take control of their own health! :)

• You're right Aspire, I didn't even think of that. Thanks for the mineral heads up:)

Nicole

I tried to do the SWF with a teaspoon of sea salt instead of tablespoon and I couldn't finish it. I am going to keep on trying the SWF because I know it's very beneficial. I hope that eventually It'll work.

I've been passing some very strange things and I think that's good. I haven't lost any weight but I'm much smaller. I'm not sure why that is but I think it has to do with all the water. My pants are loose and my waist is smaller. I'm not doing this for weight loss but when I did a water fast I lost to much weight to fast and so I'm monitoring that with this fast.

I can't for the life of me manage to get in two quarts of the lemonade. I don't know why. I've tried hard to but haven't been able to yet.

As far as detox....well I've had lower back pain, mild headaches and right now I'm tired after a really really hard long sleep. The third day is historically my detox day......or more specifically, the third night. I'm prepared!

Day 4......SOOOOOOOOOO much better! Yesterday when I got home from work I thought I was going to die! I was so sick to my stomach and faint and it was awful so I had a couple spoonfuls of the maple syrup and took it easy for a while and then drank more of the drink and by seven I felt soo much better and started craving avocados and mangoes instead of ice cream and jello.

Yesterday's weird cravings were freaking me out because all I wanted were sweets of all kinds and it's been a really long time since I've had sweets so I was a little scared I'd give in....that's how bad they were. But I didn't and now I feel amazing.

Day 5-I'm slightly worried. I'm no longer passing anything solid. Does this mean that my digestive system is clean? It's kind of scary to poo out a TON of liquid all the time. Any thoughts?

• Hey TJAB :)

This is known as "butt pee". I mentioned it on the Master Cleanse Question thread...

http://goneraw.com/forum/master-cleanse-question?page=1

It is completely normal and is considered a BM. I just recommend stocking up on baby wipes. You can read more about butt pee at Peter Glickman's site... http://therawfoodsite.com/mastercleanse.htm Go to the bulletin board to read the forums.

I did 30 days about 2 months ago and went through a lot of "butt pee". I thought it meant I must really be cleaning myself out. But during the last 10 days I started to realize this was not the case. From my experience, I came to realize over the course of my life I have eaten a lot of things and it takes time for you body to release some of those things. Physically and Emotionally.

Congrats on Day 5!!!!

You should be through the hard part now (cravings). Yippee!!! Do a little Happy Dance!!! :)

yeah, trust me I know ALL about butt pee. ha

I guess my question is, when it's only butt pee then when do you know you're cleaned out? It's not entirely clear but it's just a yellowish color. What does it look like when your digestive system si cleaned out? I'm only twenty two and have always eaten well my whole life(my mom was a health food freak) and have done many juice, water and liquid fasts. How do I know when my system is clean? I've been raw for just over a year.

• In my experience from doing 2 MCs, at the end you just start pooing out lemon pulp. I think that's a pretty good sign that there's not much else left. I'm thinking about doing another MC, but with 2 modifications, and I'd like to get y'alls feedback:

1. I think it might be a good idea to add like a teaspoon of spirulina to the drink, for the greens, protein, energy etc.

2. I'd also like to incorporate kombucha for probiotics. I always felt really "empty" at the end of the cleanse, and I remembered hearing somewhere that all that lemon juice can really wipe out your flora. I've also checked out other cleanses that call for probiotic supplementation, so it seems like it might be a good idea.

My previous two cleanses I did totally by the book, but what do you guys think of these modifications? Thanks!

• At the end of my 30 days I was still experiencing "BM/BP". It was interesting, because towards the end I started to pass actual stuff with BP. I do not know when you could say your body/system is actually clean if at all. With all the stuff we are surrounded by in our environments. (Not by just what we eat.) I know this is why Tom Woloshyn, Peter Glickman, and others continue to do a MC regularly from time to time.

I will be starting another 30 days in about three weeks. (After my dd swim lessons are over). My goal is to do a couple of MC's totaling 100 days altogether by the end of the year. When I finished the 30 days my BM's were the best I have ever experienced. You might enjoy reading Tom Woloshyn. He touches on the topic of parasites within his book "The Complete Master Cleanse". I think I saw you mention on another thread you were interested in more info. involving this topic. Ignore me, if I have you confused with someone else. You could try drinking the salt water with a straw to bypass your taste buds. It has help me in the past.

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Oooh . . . the straw idea is ingenious. I have never been able to do the SWF because I gag so badly with it. Next time I'll use a straw . . . maybe a new glass straw at that. Thanks SimplyRaw.

• Hey Maryssa,

I actually found this comment from Peter Glickman on his site. He brought up the probiotic issue:

"I also strongly recommend you take probiotics AFTER you finish breaking your cleanse to replace the good bacteria you lose when you clean your colon thoroughly. These good bacteria manufacture vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, B12, and K and help control bad bacteria, such as Candida. By the way, don't waste your money taking probiotics during the cleanse. They'll just get washed out. Do it after the cleanse."

Nicole

• Thanks SimplyRaw for the straw suggestion!

Nicole

I would never want to do a cleanse longer than a couple weeks. I'm young enough that my body isn't terribly damaged and also I think that moderation is a good thing in all areas of my life.

I'm still passing just liquid. no solids at all. I've already passed mucus(lots of it) and seen alot of weird things come out but now I'm just wondering what the point is.

• Thanks for your input Nicole! Yes, Troubles - I think if you're in good health then a 10 day cleanse is adequate once or twice a year for "maintenance." What day are you on?

• I am starting a MC fast tomorrow and would really love the support of a fasting buddy/ buddies. I did a MC/Juice fast in January for 30 days and it was one of the best things I have ever done but the last 2 months my eating has really been out of control and I feel like I need a fast to eliminate the cravings and get a sense of well being back again. I could really use some support as the first few days are so hard to get though. Anyone else just starting or want a buddy?

Robin

• Hi Robin,

I just started a Master Cleanse today and I'm really nervous about it. I have quite a demanding family life, so this will be a challenge for me, but I've run several marathons before so I just need to draw upon that part of my self to make it through, I think. Also, I'm a real coffee addict (my only non-raw item) so waking up this morning without of cup of Joe has been...interesting:)

How's your first day going?

Melanie

• I'm considering starting a 10-ish day MC July 10th if anyone wants to start with me then (it takes some planning/mental preparation so it's good to plan ahead)

:)

• iluvlife,

I'm starting the phas-in part of the cleanse on the 4th. I'm 100% Raw so my family used to me eating my own thing anyway even if it is the 4th of July:) I'll be knee deep in the cleanse come Monday the 6th. I'll post any interesting tidbits about my MC experience so you'll know whats coming:) Can't wait to see your updates!

Nicole