Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

what's your go-to green smoothie recipe?

nycgrrlnycgrrl Raw Newbie

I LOVED my green smoothies in the beginning, but something’s gone amiss. They just have not been tasting good lately, and I don’t know why. Well, for today’s I DO know why—I put in the entire 4 kiwis, including skin, and the “fuzzies” burned my lips and throat for like 4 hours. Yuck. Just turned me off altogether. I want to feel the love again…I think mine are too “banana-y” and I want them to be not as thick. I also love them a bit savory, althugh if you have some great fruit ones to share (simple please!) I’d love to try. Thanks.

Comments

• 3 cups of kale (the equivalent of half a large bunch), one banana, and one cup of frozen mango.

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

2 cups fro. mango, HUGE handfull spinach, dash of indian chai spice, tbsp. tahini. Voila, a raw non dairy, green Indian mango lasse!! Never fails to please!!

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Luna blu – I agree… mango & spinach! Yumm. Wow, those other ingredients sound interesting. I may teach a juicing/fruit smoothie class at my church next month. We have several Indians at our church, and I am sure they would love that smoothie. I’m going to try it out. I didn’t see that as one of your recipes! But, I’ll remember it. What’s in the the chai spice (maybe I can make it myself… I have several Indian spices.)

Too bad about the “fuzzy” kiwis affecting your throat. I really like green smoothies with pineapple or mango. Yummm! Handful of mixed greens… with pineapple & pear… or pineapple and banana… love the pineapple.

• i try to stick to local ingredients whenever possible, which means mango and banana are out. Right now, the farmers markets have apples, strawberries, peaches, apricots, etc.

My go-to smoothie as of late is 3-4 organic apples, plenty of whatever organic greens were at the market this week (spinach or carrot tops are my faves!), and 1 organic lemon. simple, tasty, and local! this makes quite a bit of juice or smoothie.

• suryadayasuryadaya Raw Newbie

Half a cucumber, lots of parsley, lots of alfalfa sprouts. Yum Yum Yum.

• rachel_akikorachel_akiko Raw Newbie

I usually do two handfuls of spinach, a mango, and one or two orange, and sometimes three kiwis. YUM <3>

• rachel_akikorachel_akiko Raw Newbie

Oh yeah, sometimes I use peaches, strawberries, or grapes.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i don’t make any with banana since my husband is allergic.

we do kale, peaches, berries. or mango and kale. the mango or peaches are great for making it smooth if you don’t have a banana. actually I made one the other day with red chard and mixed berries. it was yummy!

we usually add an orange or lime.

• HMMMM, well, I’ve been trying to have at least one every morning, and my favorite so far is this green beast with a handful of kale, 2 or 3 handfuls of spinach, a handful of parsely, a pear, grapefruit juice or oj, and a tropical addtion of either pineapple or mago. I REALLLY love Sarma Melngalis’ cilantro smoothie http://gliving.tv/greenchefs/recipes/category/s… it is my all time didnt think I’d love it but did.

• geniusrawmodel23geniusrawmodel23 Raw Newbie

I usually do this: http://goneraw.com/recipes/3138-Yummy-Green-Drink I never quite measure or anything, but it turns out great almost every time. Sometimes I add more apple, though. All the ingredients are just as much of each as you want to put in, basically. I try to balance the parsley and dandelion, though.

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

1 small cup strawberries, 1 pear, 1 banana, 2 tsp cacao powder, pinch sea salt

I blend this so I can drink it out of a glass. I might also add a tsp of ground seeds to make it creamier.

• This was our first, and we liked it! 1c. fresh granny smith apple juice, 3 dates, 1 lg. kale leaf, 2 fuji apples, 6 med. frozen strawberries, pinch of cinnamon and tad of allspice optional.

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

gernin8 – Cardamon, ginger, cloves? I am not sure, I get it premixed from my local indian store!! i think the true mango lasse only has cardamon though. Powdererd.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

I don’t do many fruit smoothies, but I’ve found that honeydew melon(very very ripe) blended with fresh kale is pretty awesome and a yummy way to take a hit of protein, calcium and good carbs! When I make it, I just blend the contents of one honeydew melon(sans seeds) with about one quart of deveined kale.

• Banana, cacao, maca, black sesame seeds, loads of spinach, dates, water…from this site. Perfection.

Harmonylia, I’m liking the sound of the cilantro shake – and the reported benefits are new information to me – excellent. Thanks for the link, wow – there’s all kinds of recipes there.

• nycgrrlnycgrrl Raw Newbie

Thanks so much. This morning I made a mango-coconut-coconut butter-almond milk-kale-cilantro-lime shake (sort of a mixture of a couple of suggestions, since I didn’t have all the ingredients!) and it came out quite tasty!!!! this thread is just the kick in the pants I needed.

• That’s why I love this site, it’s inspirational, I was lost the entire time it was down! Anyway, I am just about to make my morning green and thought I would check in, think I’m going to try your throw together nycgrrl, sounds yummy!

• nycgrrlnycgrrl Raw Newbie

i totally agree! hope you like your shake!

• i’m one of those people who gets stuck on one thing and just keeps going with it, so i’ve had the same smoothie almost every day for about 2 months. 1 mango, about 2 inches of a pineapple, an inch of peeled ginger and 3-4 cups of spinach. i add about half a cup of ice to the top and maybe a cup of water and blend like crazy. keeps me all morning.