Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Storm and Jinjee documentary 'Breakthrough'

southernloversouthernlover Raw Newbie

Has anyone watched this film? If so, was it good…and how long was it? I’m debating whether or not to buy it.

Comments

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

I haven’t bought the video but I am skeptical about those two people.

• southernloversouthernlover Raw Newbie

How come?

• i got it last year…. it’s magic! at the time i was new to the idea of eating raw vegan and lapped up all the information i could find..my only criticism would be that there are lots of parts i would edit differently (it’s a loooong film) but thats only my opinion. i’m giving all the negtivity the bodyswerve…but if they’ve put themselves on film, giving their own experience of how raw vegan living works in their lives, they can’t be trying to hide anything or decieve anyone….now, really, and this maybe naieve…but why are we all scared of each others motives???

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

I have no opinion about this couple. However, being skeptical is not the same as being afraid. People do terrible things, the least of which is lie outright, especially when involved in a profit-making venture. Most of us automatically assume that if we identify someone as like us or sharing our values that person can be trusted because we see ourselves as trustworthy. (A fine example, in my opinion, is how soy products are sold as health food. Millions of people looking for healthier lifestyle assume someone touting a healthier lifestyle is like them – interested in healthy products.) Personally, I think we should carefully examine the motives of those we agree with more than those we don’t agree with in order to guard against these inclinations.

I believe there is truth to the position that attitude and perceptions change reality. However, in situations like this I think it is to a lesser degree. If it were mostly true in these situations, then confidence artists could not exist and betrayal would be a thing of the past. They do and it isn’t. It seems people have become more accepting of doing whatever is required to make a profit, gain an advantage, get what they want, etc. Being careful and mindful doesn’t have to be the same thing as being suspicious and jaded.

There is a vendor that I have seen mentioned on this site who sells a product I wanted to buy. I was directed to a YouTube video the vendor did on the product. The vendor looked the part and made a presentation I am sure led many people to purchase the product, partly because someone looking for that type of product could probably identify with the way these people presented their lifestyle. This vendor presented an example of how the product worked and I felt their presentation was at best misleading and possibly intentional fraud. I purchased the products, but not from them. I don’t think I would buy anything else from them either. Sometimes, perhaps justified or not, people just get a bad vibe on someone else because there is something in their presentation that seems off and they follow their intuition. Sometimes they are right and sometimes they are wrong.

alisonwonderful I am not at all afraid of them, I said I was skeptical, not afraid

southernlover I am skeptical of them because i don’t really understand them.

• apologies..my using the word afraid was something that i had held onto from many posts i’d read previously where people were overly worried. i guess i’m just getting used to the fact that everyone is experiencing this raw life differently and not everyone is feeling the love. and also maybe i’ve been keeping the company of someone who is negative when it comes to trusting good intentions….sometimes paranoia shouts all over the top of intuition and…well…i just don’t like cynicism. i was massively cynical as a child, but it wasn’t mine, i adopted it from my dad… wow stuff is being vented that i need look at and move on from…sorry, and thanks it couldnt have happened without you ;) it’s all completely relative to whatever your thoughts are on isn’t it? confidence artists wouldn’t exist without people who expected to be tricked…otherwise they’d go out of business waiting :)

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

In my previous post, I tried to make a point that I may not have worded that well. What I intended to say was that it positive thoughts about others could control what happened, there would be no confidence men because your confidence in them would prevent them from betraying you.

ALLISONWONDERFUL (nice name) – In case you may have thought otherwise, your post didn’t offend me in any way. I thought you were asking a question I have asked myself on many occasions. I agree with what you were saying. It does suck to not be able to assume that others are honest and have good intentions. I would love to do that but doing so has caused me pain and I would prefer to avoid the potential for more pain.

When I first realized I was doing that so much, I thought I was really paranoid, cynical, and negative. It hurt me to feel I had to always stop and examine someone’s motives. It made me think of the world as a terrible place where you could trust no one. The negativity hurt me inside. Also, I believe my thoughts have energy that survive their moments and become part of the collective consciousness. As if hurting myself wasn’t enough, I thought I was contributing to making the world an untrusting place, essentially fulfilling my own prophecies. It was a viscious cycle and I didn’t want to feel that way.

I don’t think of myself as negative, paranoid or cynical anymore when I am skeptical. If I think someone is being less than honest with me, I tell myself they are not doing this because I am me but because it is something they do. I am getting better at not taking things personally although I have my hot buttons and still fall short of this goal sometimes. Now, I think of my skepticism as an act of personal responsibility and I don’t feel negative about my actions. If someone were preparing to physically assault, I would take action to protect myself if I could. If someone might be preparing to take advantage of me, mislead me, or hurt me emotionally in anyway, I have a right to protect myself from that too. I believe my skepticism is the best, preventive medicine available. In the end, I am less likely to suffer negative emotions and I don’t pass that energy on to anyone else. Looking at it this way has helped me cope.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

i watched it and it has some really great insights. it’s also just really inspirational to see a family living like they do.

if you are debating, why not get your library to order it?

what exactly don’t you understand about them rawkidchef? the only thing that makes me go “huh” is the fact that jinjee has been having children almost non-stop… i’m curious if they plan to repopulate the earth. though, seeing as their children are absolutely charming additions to the planet (and SO FOCUSED!), we could do worse =)

• I agree with pianissima.

I just watched the DVD today (received it yesterday). Overall, I found it quite inspirational. I too wondered about the nonstop childbearing, but the kids are beautiful and look happy and healthy. They certainly seem to be thriving. Storm and Jinjee appear to be in excellent condition.

I’m not sure what rawkidchef is skeptical about … is it that you do not believe that Storm is in his 50s? Or do you not believe his statement that he has been raw vegan since 1972?

I got their Garden Diet book and found the recipes very much to my taste, without the need for a dehydrator and expensive superfoods and supplements. That appeals to me, because I do not like the elitism that I sense in some people in the raw community (the perceived need for expensive equipment and supplements really bothers me because I think it is quite unnecessary.) I am almost 52 and no one thinks I am that old—this might be partly genetic but mostly because I have been careful about my diet since the late 1970s, and I get lots of exercise. Given my personal experience, I am prepared to believe that someone who has been active, has eaten organic foods for over 30 years, and has lived in a healthy outdoor environment could look quite a bit younger than the age on his drivers’ license.

I am leary of those people…......I don’t know why. The children are beautiful, and the whole family is great. I just don’t know about Storm…...he is a little bit conceited. You asked me, I am not pushing my opinion. No, I don’t disbelieve his age at all, just his personality. I don’t know. I don’t feel that I have a right to say this because I don’t know him, but he just seems a little in his own head.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

”...he just seems a little in his own head.”

Aren’t we all?

Yea, that’s true. lol

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

raw kid chef, you are aware that the raw village you aspire to go live in is the brain child of storm and located in storm and jingees neighborhood in Ojai california…maybe once you meet them you’ll feel differently;)

Yes, I’m aware. We are still debating whether to go there because of the distance to LA (in terms of convenience, etc, easy access to mom’s jon, etc.). Yea, that’s a good point. I don’t feel so negative about him anymore. Strange.

• lol, your mum has to use the bathroom in LA? :P

lol that’s a typing error. I meant my mom’s job, not jon. hehe

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

He’s very much what I remember from the 1960’s and 1970s and I guess I’m very comfortable with his turning away from materialism and his much more honest veganism.

What I don’t trust is this upcropping of raw food stores I’m seeing online from other people. Too much greed and deceit in the products, which is very sad.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Storm has written in his blog that he is against supplements so adamantly that he does not permit supplement advertising on his blog – it could bring potentially bring in 100,000 a month!! but he will not advertise it. I really respect that. I also respect the down to earth approach to raw veganism. I plan to purchase the video, it sounds inspiring.

• I enjoyed the documentary!