Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Weight loss

So, I’ve been thinking about going raw for a while now. After finding some great recipies online I am encouraged! I need to get a dehydrator, though. Is this type of diet really good for weight loss? I am 80 lbs overweight.

Comments

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

I’ve lost 10 pounds in one month of raw.

• rachel_akikorachel_akiko Raw Newbie

There are tons of recipes you can do without a dehydrator, until you get one. Like zucchini fettucini noodles made using a vegetable peeler, with a tomato dressing, or a spinach avocado dressing, and soups, salads, smoothies, and mango sherbert.

Anyways, this diet is great for losing weight… I lost 15 pounds in two weeks of raw, and my mom lost about 10 also.

• anaana

Hey guys, I’m new to raw also (just celebrating my first Month!) and I’ve lost about 5 pounds. Those of you who’ve lost more, what do you eat on a day to day basis? I want to clarify, too, that this journey is not just about weight loss for me, it’s about getting happy! I feel amazing, look better, and have 800x more energy. I do want to slim down a but, but tha is certainly not why I’m doing this (just trying to say that this is not a crazy crash diet, more a way to care about body, mind, and planet).

• southernloversouthernlover Raw Newbie

It’s great for everything…losing weight is just an added bonus! If you end up wanting a dehydrator, let me know because I’m trying to sell mine. I bought it with extra sheets for $250. I have only used it twice, but I’d sell it for $175.

southernlover, you’re selling your dehydrator? How many trays does it have?

It’s the 5 tray one…the bigger one is really loud.

It’s basically new. I’d send the warranty to whoever buys it. (10 year warranty)

aww, the bigger one is loud? that stinks, because that’s the one I’ve been wanting. I don’t really have 175 bucks right now, so I probably won’t be the one that buys it. I hope you find someone to buy it soon, though! :)

• My son lost 23 lbs. in 2 wks.

23 pounds! Wow, that’s awesome!

• Yes, but he started out at 340, so he is pretty excited about it! Not to mention all the added benefits! Energy, increased creativity, clarity of mind, endurance, ect!

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i honestly don’t have a scale, but I am sure i loss at least 10 pounds. i am down a whole pants size and they are loose. my belly is where i had my weight and it is much smaller. because of my back injury i can’t do much exercise other than walking and light yoga. so i am not burning calories like some people are. but my energy is much better. honestly, before i could barely even sit at my computer after work i was so tired.

i have gotten into a pretty good food routine but it is evolving as my appetite decreases. for breakfast i have a green smoothie (about a pint and a half) and a banana. for a snack at 10am i will have an apple. lunch is a medium salad, crackers with a dip or avocado or a wrap, and maybe a small green smoothie (this week at least). i have another piece of fruit and/or a raw treat as a snack. dinner varies between salad, wraps or crackers but often I am finding i just want a green smoothie or fruit for dinner instead of preparing something. are you noticing a trend? i just LOVE green smoothies! they cut my appetite. oh also when i come home I have like 1/3 bottle kombacha tea watered down. it has replaced wine for me and it cuts the appetite.

• I started raw 70lb overweight and have lost 36 lb in a week short of 3 months. Raw is the best way to lose weight!!! It is the only way I have been able to do it.

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

I lost 15 pounds in the first month, and now, even though I have 15 more to go, the weight loss has come to a sreeching halt. I even did only green smoothies for 5 days and not one ounce came off! I am getting a bit discouraged!! It’s not the main reason I am raw, but it would be nice to go down a little more!!!

• madbanana- That is awesome! I asume you are female? I think it takes longer for women to loose weight, especially ages 25 – 45. I want to start losing weight on it, too, but I have to stop sneaking cooked beans and cheese, and no bake cookies! LOL!

• Luna Blu~ I know what you mean…I’m slim and all, but I feel prettier about 10 pounds lighter…and I just can’t seem to lose it. Healthy eating seems to more mantain weight right now…I’m not eating totally raw, but I do eat lots of it.

I think what I need to do, in addition to healthy eating is way more excersise. I’m busy all day and I feel often, like I’m too tired to excersise by the time I’m actually off my feet. Should do it in the morning I guess.

When I first got into raw I would step on the scale, look at it, and then say “Oh, I just lost 7 pounds”. I wasn’t trying to lose weight, but nearly every time I stepped on the scale I lost. Now…nothing. Wierd how thing like that happen.

• hi jedichick, before eating raw my weight would never budge. i’ve been eating raw for about 6 weeks and i’ve lost 12 pounds.

luna blu- i haven’t been doing this for too long, but one thing that has really helped me is to stop eating by 5 or 6pm. i find that if i eat later, even if it’s salad and green juice, i don’t lose weight. just a thought…...

p.s i’m 45 with 2 kids

• I’ve found that the initial weight loss seems to be dislodging accumulated bowel sludge. It comes off quick – sloughing off with a little help from all those carrots and flax seed (sorry if too graphic). When your body starts actually burning fat reserves weight loss slows dramatically (watch out for detox symptoms too – fat stores toxins!) but if you don’t get disheartened and quit it will keep coming off (that is IF you are overweight – some people, myself included, have a false self-image and think they are overweight when they really are not.)

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I haven’t lost any weight (i’m 5’5”, 135 pounds, size 8 pants) after 11 weeks at 99% raw. I typically consume 1700 calories per day, bike 3 hours a week, walk 1.5 hours a week. Just an FYI for those who might not be experiencing weight loss. Perhaps weight loss will come after I’m raw for a longer period of time.

• SamiliciousSamilicious Raw Newbie

I gained weight. Still gaining. Not alot though, just a floppy tummy that I have to suck in so it won’t show that much. I’m not too worried about it because I know its because I stopped exercising.

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

greens are a fabulous edition for weight stabilization (or loss).

• I started at the very end of march, and I’ve lost 14 so far! I didn’t have much to lose, I was originally only aiming for 15 because usually it is so hard for me to lose. It came off pretty fast, I’ve never been able to lose more than 1lb a week, but even now I’m still doing like 2 a week. I only have 10 to go and I’m just praying it doesn’t come to a dead stop before then, haha.

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

Two inspiring raw weight loss stories can be found at the following: http://www.rawreform.com/ http://www.lovingraw.com/

• nycgrrlnycgrrl Raw Newbie

I am 5’4 and had done weight watchers before “finding raw”. I went down on WW from 133 to 120. Then about a month ago I found this site, and have been 90% raw since and have gone down to 118. I think that’s my body’s ideal weight, although I wouldn’t mind another 5 lbs, I think I am just battling an unrealistic body wish.

• suekosueko Raw Superstar

JediChick – Google Angela Stokes and you’ll find out how well raw works for weight loss! I didn’t lose weight at first until I tweaked my exercise and cut out the fruit but now I’m vegetable juice feasting so of course I’m losing weight. If that’s your goal you might take a look at juicefeasting.com, it’s a faster track, but you’ll feel better on raw no matter what.

Also, another thing to consider for those of you not losing weight, is that your body is cleansing all the years of cooked food, and it may be using its energy to heal and cleanse for now. Your weight should normalize after being raw consistently for a while. A friend of mine didn’t experience any weight loss for 5 months!! But now, after three years, her weight has gone down to normal just eating raw. So patience is the lesson here. (BTW, 5’5” at 135 pounds and muscular, I don’t think you need to lose any weight and it sounds as though your body has its own wisdom!)

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i lost 7 more pounds in 5 days. of course, i know depending on the time of day, etc the scale changes but i know i have fat that needs to come off! my problem has always been that i exercise to get fit but then get hungrier. raw has solved that problem for sure.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

I’ve lost 54 pounds on the raw so far(78 pounds lost altogether), but not nearly as fast as the more famous over weight raw fooders. It got faster once I adjusted but I don’t loose more than 8 pounds a month, give or take a bit.

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

I started eating raw back in September after i realized i was allergic to a lot of foods – cooked foods that are pasteurizes/preserved/sugared, etc…. So, i just decided to do the raw diet – i had done a few master cleanses and knew about it from the book… I lost about 15 pounds total now, but my metabolism was messed up by some meds and this has been the only thing to help. I need to lose about 20 more. So, i was having green juices for breakfast and lunch and having a regular dinner. I just changed that yesterday to having a regular breakfast of fruit and then green juices for lunch and dinner. I hope this helps! I’m going on vacation on July 5th and I’d like to be able to walk around and feel comfortable with myself and my body – i have a 3 year old and this is very important to me since all last year i sat on the local beach with either very long capri’s or pants on… not fun! I also started doing my weight training first before i do cardio. Today was my first day of that. Just trying to get past this “slump”... good luck!

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Juice feasting seems to be a great way to take off weight. I haven’t tried it – but Philip at lovingraw lost a lot of weight on it.