Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

What Do Your Kids Eat for Dinner?

AziahAziah Raw Newbie
in Family

Dinner time always stumps me. I find I prepare something days in advance (like I am currently dehydrating a quiche…previously I made some pecan/carrot burgers) and my kids won’t eat them. frustrating! But I want them to have something a little more filling. I was wondering what your kids’ favorite meals were for dinner time…???

Comments

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Some heavy raw food delicacies will seem gross to kids. I know this because I am 12 years old, and went through this myself. What your kids may be experiencing is that they think the food is boring, and want more exciting foods. Kids also like sweets. I am a fruitarian who eats some greens. I love seeds (but dislike the effects of nuts, plus nuts don’t taste that good either, compared to seeds). but we cannot digest them (my mom and I). I find that I am constantly making something in the kitchen to suit my hunger. To be safe with the protein, I mix a few tablespoons of Twinlab’s brewer’s yeast with water and glug it down. It is filling, but, it doesn’t taste that good. I would have to say I could eat a millio pieces of Kandace’s Onion Bread, though I don’t eat them for digestive reasons. I like to prepare a lot of dishes useing young coconut, too. Like ice creams. My favorite is my big Garden Salad with Avocado Dressing…..I will post the recipe sometime. Kids claim they don’t like avocado, but as many say on this site, your kids eat what you give them. If you refuse the junk they expect from you, they’ll have to eat sometime. If all you give is healthy food, what are they going to report you to social security? No, I really doubt it. Kids eat what you give them period. I also love to make raw ice creams. I make them out of almond milk and young coconut meat. Cashew based ice creams seem gross to me…..yuck. Hope this helps a little.

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

Hey Aziah – I have a seven year old and her favorite dinners are: raw caesar salad – romaine with lemon juice and olive oil with a sprinkle of cashew parmesan – ground with garlic and salt Matt Amsden’s tabouli from Rawvolution walnut taco meat from this site guacamole with anything avocados with corn, tomatoes, lime and cilantro corn chowder – corn blended with water, cashews, garlic, a little onion, salt, then add more corn and chopped parsley zucchini pasta with the peanut sauce from this site (sauce was originally for vietnamese wraps) dehydrated broccoli with anything

These are all QUICK. I rarely have time for complicated cooking when we’re just home from a sports practice and everyone is hungry and tired. I re-run her and my husbands favorites and try something new once a week or so. Whenever they love something I add it to the favorites list. Good luck!

• Debbie5125Debbie5125 Raw Newbie

I am preparing vegan options for my twins. Tonight I made Amy’s dairy free mac and cheese, a raw waldorf salad, and a raw chocolate dessert. My son ate everything, my daughter didn’t want the salad. That’s my plan for now. As toddlers they ate a lot of raw, now they are pickier and being exposed to all foods. So, I have to be more patient and understanding.

ClaireT
  • Sabrina1979Sabrina1979 Raw Newbie

my sons snacks soo much during the day that a lot of times he just eats an apple and 2 bananas for dinner..or raw cerial with soymilk…he likes raw sweets but dislikes dense food like “burgers”...but mostly he eats fruits, carrots, plain green salad and the stuff his dad gives him..gold fish, crackers and all that other crap..lol…he loves to eat rice, so i like to prepare him whole grain rice with some veggies or couscous…but that would not be an option if your are 100% raw..i personally fin dit hard to find just raw food for my son so i stopped driving myself nuts about it and usw rice and couscous.

• AziahAziah Raw Newbie

I am hesitant to get into the rice and grains…I suspect they may be a problem (they already have a gluten intolerance, possibly celiac, I suspect rice may be another intolerance). I find it hard to “draw the line” with them. I don’t want to force them to be 100% raw if their bodies are craving chicken or eggs. So I have decided to allow that occationally. But the rest of the time I find it difficult to come up with tasty meals. Yes, dense foods seem to not appeal to them. But neither do salads…and they don’t always drink smoothies. That leaves nuts, seeds, and fruit. I do always offer them veggies but they don’t tend to like them too much. I won’t force my kids to choke down a celery stick if they don’t want it and I don’t feel guilty about that at all. My kids have had a very specific diet since birth (no gluten, soy, dairy) so they already have been used to eating cooked veggies, fruits, and grilled meats. I hope they come around to raw veggies but I am not going to starve them until they do, especially since they are underweight…if you kwim. But some of the suggestions sound pretty good and I will look into them.

I thought going soy, dairy, gluten free was difficult..this is 10x harder for me. I am just not clever enough to look in my fridge and see what I have and make a meal of it. If I don’t plan it a day in advance then I am lost. :0(

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

My granddaughter is 5 and she spends a lot of time with me… I have found that she eats more when I am preparing the salad, each vege one at a time but doesn’t really want it after it is all tossed in the bowl… She will also eat any fruit by itself but hates smoothies even though she enjoys all of the ingredients and helps me fill the blender… She is the same with the seeds and nuts…. Best thing is to just let her graze and not force the issue… Don’t give into providing un-healthy foods as they will all eat when they are hungry… Good Luck!!!

• Sabrina1979Sabrina1979 Raw Newbie

i do also let my son chicken, i buy ine at whole foods and prepare it and he loves it, i dotn force him either…i offer him the best i can and dont make him eat something just because its healthy. But like you said, he is used to eat different from birth on since everyone else arround him…i always offered fruit and veggies for snacks and the other day he even said to my husband..no dada no fries…banana..lol…my husband bouht a portion of fries and he ate 2 and that was it..he finished lunch with a banana….i do find my self stressing out and get frustradet if i try to stress what they eat…i only provide healthy food but its not always raw nor vegan..

• I made build-your-own taco salads last night. I put out all the stuff for them and let my 3 year old pick. She loved it. I had guacamole, salsa, walnut taco “meat”, cashew sour cream, sunflower seed “refried beans”, lettuce cut up, and some julianned veggies.

• AziahAziah Raw Newbie

Actually..grazing is what they do. I guess I am so used to a SAD diet that I don’t think of that as “eating properly” for them. I guess I have to change my way of thinking ;0)

But the tacos sound great!

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

This blog has great family dinner posts Rawdorable

This cereal night post is awesome

something sweet

time for tea!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Grazing may be more healthy than eating the meals, Aziah, you’re right! It seems a lot of experts are saying that eating smaller amounts more frequently is healthier than eating big meals 3 times a day. Especially for kids who are still growing & need to eat more often, grazing may just be the best thing – I have had to re-train my thinking, too. My son doesn’t eat a lot of raw food, but I definitely try to have plenty of healthy choices around, and I do like amysue – go through the things I know he likes and occasionally try something new, and he likes a couple of things pretty well now. He is afraid to try new things, so I don’t make a big deal out of it – usually I just make things for myself, and sometimes he gets curious enough to try. Every once in a while, I just tell him we’re having salad for dinner, and I have different greens, veggies, fruits, nuts/seeds, etc. to put on our salads. He usually complains at first, but then when that is his only choice, he usually likes making a salad when he’s tired of complaining, and he usually eats a pretty good amount. I also had to re-train my thinking of traditional eating patterns. I cought myself telling him he had to finish his spaghetti before he could have dessert, and then I realized that the raw chocolate pie I had in the freezer was much more nutritious than the plate of traditional spaghetti with sauce that I was trying to force him to eat first :D HAHAHA! So now, I offer him good things and he knows there are other choices, too, but I try to focus more on the things I know he likes. Another thing I do sometimes is to offer him only one or two options that he can eat if he doesn’t want what I made. After a week of only peanut butter sandwiches as his other option, he is usually more willing to try something new. I also have to let him choose to not eat if that is what he wants to do instead of whatever choice(s) I have given him for dinner. I try to call his attention to whether he is really hungry or just bored or just wants a certain taste or just thinks he needs to eat because someone else is eating, etc., and I tell him often that if he were really hungry, he would eat what I tell him is available. That said, we all laugh now because my little bro. finally admitted to shoving his green beans down inside the hollow table leg because my mom made us eat our veggies before we could leave the table – I wished I had been that smart; I always choked mine down!

• AziahAziah Raw Newbie

Winona – that blog is brilliant! I love the idea of make your own cereal, salad, sundaes, and fondue! PERFECT!

• Iryna1991Iryna1991 Raw Newbie

Hello!When i tried to find some fresh meals for the kids of my cousin, i stumbled at the blog http://bravocooking.com/healthy-breakfasts-for-kids/with many fresh and raw food.The recipes i found have been used by me until now.

ClaireT
  • kpsane148kpsane148 Raw Newbie

I think dinner should not be heavy and it should be done before 8 Pm in the night.

ClaireTbettyklee
  • bettykleebettyklee Raw Jr. Leader

Great blog Winona! Thanks for sharing

ClaireT