Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Where to buy Young Coconuts in bulk?

saratksaratk Raw Newbie

Hi – I live in NYC so can always jaunt down to Chinatown to pick up some young coconuts but does anyone know of a website/company that sells them wholesale and delivers?

natasham

Comments

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Yes! Gene Fit Nutrition sells organic, pesticide-free ones, though they are expensive. Raw Guru sells young coconuts of the same quality that are dehusked, so you can open them the way you would an adult coconut, by opening the 3 “eyes”. I’m not quite sure what wholesale means but these two websites sell the best quality. There are probably more I just only know of these two.

• grassdudegrassdude Raw Newbie

Hi all coconut affectionados, I love them too, but recently I found out that some are dipped in formaldehyde to bleach them white. When you cut them open they will have a blue tinge from the formaldehyde. Be careful where you get them and if they are not organic, they may be dipped.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

grassdude, in other forum someone posted a link that this was an urban legend. i have never seen anything blue on my young coconuts and matt amsden has actually sent the “best” variety into the lab to test for formaldehyde and they came back negative.

I love Matt Amsden! His book and restaurant are so cool.

• saratksaratk Raw Newbie

Yay! Thank you everyone for the feedback. RawKidChef, I’m going to check out those 2 sites right now!

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

Hi grassdude, Very young coconuts have a purplish tinge to them. The coconut meat also will be almost liquidy/jelly-like and not white in color. The white color developes as the meat darkens, and if it’s bad it will be grayish and the water will taste bad. Always taste the water first to see if it’s good or not. From what I’ve read, formaldehyde would not get thru the shell even if they did do it, and the dipping/spraying would be a short period of time for external elimination of buggers from foreign countries…HOWEVER, I like what pianissima wrote, and read that also. Thank you Matt Amsden!

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

We also get cases of coconuts from an Asian store or an Amish store that sells health foods…also have to call ahead on it and pick up.

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

It is my understanding that conventional young coconuts are dipped in formaldehyde as a perservative and doing so does not change the physical appearance of the coconut in anyway. Without dipping the coconuts in formaldehyde, they would need to be refridgerated and still require expedited shipping to arrive without spoliation. The formaldehyde allows them to shipped at room temperature on a boat that may travel for weeks before reaching their final destination. Formaldehyde does the same thing to a young coconut that it did to those samples you used to see in biology lab, except you get to eat these.

RawGuru.com is the only place I have seen that sells and ships organic young coconuts. The price is outrageous. It would cost me $15+ per coconut to have them shipped to the East Coast.

• grassdudegrassdude Raw Newbie

I hope you guys are right and the coconuts are ok. I have heard a lot of conflicting information, don’t know what to believe. I read an article saying that the workers wear glove and handle the coconuts with sticks because they use so many toxic chemicals on them that they don’t even want to get near them.

grassdude, coconuts bought in stores are dipped in formaldehydes. Buy them online. Matt Amsden did test them, but the ones we buy aren’t always the “best” ones. I can smell the toxins on the coconut meat.

Meditating http://www.genefitnutrition.com sells coconuts for half the price as Raw Guru. I am on the East Coast too! I order them from this website and store them in the freezer.

grassdude, coconuts bought in stores are dipped in formaldehydes. Buy them online. Matt Amsden did test them, but the ones we buy aren’t always the “best” ones. I can smell the toxins on the coconut meat.

Meditating http://www.genefitnutrition.com sells coconuts for half the price as Raw Guru. I am on the East Coast too! I order them from this website and store them in the freezer.

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

RAWKIDCHEF - Thanks for the link. That price is closer to being palatable, although the world is out of control when you have to spend $7-8 for an uncontaminated coconut.

ClaireT
  • natashamnatasham Raw Newbie

Hello All,  I tried the website Gene Fit Nutrition ... It says the ebsite does not exists. I even tried calling them the number is disconnected....IS this company out of business???

• ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

The Way Back Machine hasn't logged Gene Fit since 2014. It might be down for good. undecided

http://web.archive.org/web/20140531070430/http://www.genefitnutrition.com/