Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Nut-free people: can you handle seeds?

MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

I thought I was able to; got into pumpkin seeds for two days, but I’m having some unpleasant reactions in my gut as a result. :-p

Oy. I hope they pass soon. They were soaked and everything.

I’ve so freaking sensitive to everything I eat. I like eating seeds (and nuts) but they both seem to give me a reaction, every time.

Comments

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

MOTH we are so similar! I can’t tolerate nuts, seeds, whatever, you name it. I get so constipated that it is not worth it. I’d love to eat some banana-almond butter cream or some onion bread but the effects are so bad and uncomfortable that it’s not worth it. I don’t know why I can’t tolerate nuts or seeds, but I can’t. I am now mostly fruitarian, and I do eat a little salad every day. I’m so glad somebody shares something in common with me…..I though I was the only one! Seeds are just as bad as nuts for me.

I guess everybody’s different. Some people can tolerate those heavy things, and others have guts that are too sensitive. The thing is, I enjoy my salad and my avocado and my banana pancakes. I love eating fruit. I also take green food supplements, i.e lactobacillus, and algaes. They are a nice boost.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

YES, exactly: SEVERE constipation is what I am experiencing right now and OWIE, I just wanna go poo. heh… :-p All bloated and heavy feeling inside. Not to mention seeds seem to make me SEDATED. Where’s my energy?

I also prefer mostly fruit, but I’ve been eating a bit of romaine everyday. I love romaine. It’s a very light and yummy green that goes well with my mainly fruit diet. I like wrapping fruit up in it!

I was pretty careful with soaking the seeds (for hours and hours, until they seemed very soft) and I felt good about eating pumpkin seeds because they technically come from a fruit, but I don’t think I can eat them.

Yes! I know how you feel. Usually it passes before the next day, though. I know, I mean, who would have thought nuts or seeds could be so bad? Maybe not for all, but I’m not there man. One time I bought a bag of sprouted dehydrated pumpkin seeds that were raw from Go Raw and ate a few handfuls. WOW was the after effect BAD. I just got like you – bloated, constipated, it felt so BAD. Wow, I couldn’t believe it. Go Raw also sold some sprouted buckwheat cereal, well I thought it would be okay but that was really bad too. :/ That’s the last time I’m going to do that. You would think everybody experiences this. I wonder?

Romaine lettuce is very nice, I agree! I make my salads with that. My salads are light; a handful of romaine, a tad of olive oil and red wine vinegar, and some ripe tomatoes and avocado. I love it! I think it’s the lightest leafy green out there. That’s an idea, wrapping fruit in romaine! I should try that sometime! :)

• Does anyone experience the same problems with ground flaxseeds?

Yes. Flax is the WORST for me.

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

Lordy, me too. Flax is a nightmare. Chia won’t move through me. The only thing my gut seems to tolerate is hempseeds. I’m relieved to hear other people have these issues too. Serious bummer. Bananas wrapped in romaine! Yummy.

Marichiesa, I have never tried hemp seeds. That’s interessting.

• Hello. I am exactly like you guys. Nuts and seeds and buckwheat and all grains do the same thing to me as it does to you guys. I do like nuts though, and RawKidChef, I understand that you crave things like banana-almond cream (I invented that recipe) but I also agree that a simple fruit and greens diet is the best. I think we must just be intolerant to them or extremely sensitive. Oh well, at least it is comforting to know there are other people like me.

Yea, lol, that’s the banana almond cream recipe I’m talking about.(still going to try the crepes, though!) I wonder if everybody is intolerant to nuts, seeds, and grains and some people don’t even know it. I agree, Tiny1, that is is better as well as safer to just eat a simple diet of greens and fruits like our close cousins, apes and monkeys, etc. People were not meant to eat nuts, seeds, or grains. That job is for the squirrels. lol

• yeah when I stopped nuts I bought some sunflower seeds, just for those times when I’m needing a little extra fat. I’ve noticed I haven’t really touched them but when I do it’s the same result as nuts. I never did well with fats though…

I too do best on mainly fruit and a little greens (like spinach all blended up in a green smoothie, is easiest to digest). I’m trying to figure out how to make satisfying dinners out of fruits that my boyfriend won’t totally freak over – he doesn’t eat my dinners but he thinks I eat “rabbit food” as it is and worries.

LizK – I am going to post a variety of creative recipes that I make – mostly desserts, and some salads and dressings. I find that using young coconut is a GREAT substitute for nuts. These recipes may take some days to post since there are a lot of them, but there really good fillers!

• heartshapedskyheartshapedsky Raw Newbie

RawKidChef- yes please post some nut free recipes, i’d love to try them! thanks!

I will!

Also, MOTH, I have noticed that nut milks are digestible, versus nuts. I do almond milk, because you get the advantage of mostly straining out the nuts, so you get mostly water and a little creaminess of nuts.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

That’s good to know…I have never tried nut mylk before, believe it or not!

Yea, most likely you’ll do well with it.

• Speaking of nuts, my son, bj, ate 15 brazile nuts the other day! I did not know he was doing this, but he said that he had never tried them before, and he just couln’t stop until he had eaten all of them! He said that the oily mouth feel was just too cool! Oh, but the next day he felt so sick he thought he was not going to be able to go to school! I am pretty sure they were raw because they were still in the shell????

Now, just yesterday, we decided to make nut butter out of “raw” cashews (I know that those are not totally raw thanks to the link from Zoe), he ate a couple, and then his nose stuffed up immediately! He almost cried (exaggeration) because he loves those nuts so much! Will he be able to eat this stuff better after his body becomes stronger. I know he may not have as much of a desire to eat them in the future, but I am just kind of trying to figure out the detox/allergy thing and so forth. Thanks.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

The EXACT same symptoms occur to me as well. I have even gotten a terrible agonizing swollen and sore throat from eating nuts. They just are not good for my body. If they make him suffer, I recommend he avoids them. I’m the same way; I love the taste of nuts, but I cannot handle eating them. They just wreck havoc upon me.

I have only gotten more sensitive to nuts the longer I am 100% raw.

• Thanks MOTH, I was wondering if he would become more sensitive, or as he builds his body, will he be less sensitive to them. I had thought about telling him to just have one a day for innoculation. I have started to really monitor his nut consumption. I hate to do it because I used to have to harp on him about his food. There is such a difference, now. I am constantly telling him to eat, now! He is really enjoying all the new tastes, and access to nuts. I don’t want him to over do them and ruin his ability to eat them in the future. So we are going to try moderation for now. I am learning so much, and also starting to look to nature to teach me. Nature says nuts are easy to stash and keep, so they should be eaten in moderation compared to say for example strawberries, bananas, oranges or coconuts. Those foods ripen all at once in large quanities, and cannot be stored a long time, and so they are to be eaten in larger quanities. I don’t know, just a theory!?

• BeTheChangeBeTheChange Raw Newbie

dude, so I went to the grocery store today and munched on a handful of mixed nuts for the first time in a couple weeks, and IMMEDIATELY my nose started running! crazy! It’s amazing how our bodies react, just like gorawmom’s son to those cashews. I was having a fat craving and they were there in front of me… Oh well, now it’s confirmed that nuts are b-a-d for me. Seeds I can handle, but only if I eat them in conjunction with a BUNCH of greens! And i mean a lottttt.

MOTH, seeds make me tired, as well, especially pepitas, but I think that is because they are chock-full of iron and magnesium, natural sedatives…I wonder about other seeds?

I just bought two bunches of romaine, today! What shall I wrap in it??? :)

Nuts and seeds are SO not for me. I don’t really know about that iron magnesium thing. They make me tired because they are hard to digest. I can’t digest flax, sesame, chia, etc. Does’t matter what kind of seed or nut. I can eat a small bowl of light salad, but more than that and lots of bloating and constipation.

BeTheChange: I eat my salads with romaine. You could do that, drizzle some olive oil and red wine vinegar, avocado, and tomatoes together with salt and it’s a lovely salad that taste very good. You could wrap in some young coconut noodles or mangoes or something. That would taste great.