Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Oats

can any one tell me why oat kernels (seeds) (groats) are not raw? I have a flaker and use organic raw oat kernels for all sorts of things. I am learning about Raw eating so perhaps I am not quite on track here.

Comments

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

Hi there, I think it’s to do with how they are processed, there is some heating involved with makes them not raw. However, I live in Scotland where oats are a traditional food and occasionally I enjoy putting a little ground oat groats into a recipe just for the flavour.

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

As far as i had been told, the groats ARE raw. It’s rolled oats that are not. I don’t use the groats, they tend to be a bit much on my digestive system!! I tend to steer clear of grains totally.

• Wait rolled oats aren’t raw??

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

Rolled oats are heated to around 250 or 270 to kill critters. I buy some from gold mine natural foods as raw. They are labeled as fresh and not heated and are from canada. I talked to the farm that supplies my local health food store and the person who answered said they had to be heat treated for human consumption. The (hopefully) raw ones I buy have a completely different texture from the rolled oats in the stores, much chewier and firmer.

• so if i was could roll them between stainless rollers without heat that would be raw? Great i have a roller so no heat is used for these lovely little organic oat berries – yummy, but i cant cook them though, so a bircher meusli could be ok – where you soak the oats in (nut) milk and add dried fruits, fresh fruits and nuts to the flaked oats – believe me it is yummy especially if served warmed in the dehydrator.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

No, oat groats are not raw, and neither are most rolled oats, but you can get raw rolled oats from www.alissacohen.com and sproutable (raw) oats from www.sunorganic.com – just look for the oats for sprouting, not the oat groats.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Here are some other naughty foods which pretend they are raw but they’re not:

The Dead Food List