Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Making Raw Chocolate

Hi Everyone! :)

I’m quite new to Gone Raw, found you guys while searching for some recipes.. One of the recipes I found and tried was the one for Raw Chocolate. It was delicious, however I did have one problem. When making the mixture (coconut oil, raw carob powder, raw chocolate powder, agave nectar) the same problem happens every time. All the agave nectar does not dissolve into the mixture, but rather forms little balls which all sink to the bottom, no matter how much I try and mix them. When I put the mixture into the trays and in the fridge, the same thing happens, all the agave sinks and I end up with solid chocolates with syrup on top! This means one side is too sweet and the other not sweet enough.

I’m using the dark (rich) form of Agave, I wonder if the lighter version might mix better? Otherwise any suggestions very much appreciated! I think I might try it with raw honey instead.

Comments

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

I typically use honey when making raw chocolate, and have had the same problem with honey that was most likely heated and in liquid form. Strange, no? Well the best solution I came to so far was to not use the oil (coconut or cacao) liquidize completely but to use it in a soft buttery form when mixing up. It holds on to the sweetener better.

• Thanks Morning Theft, will give that a go.

Yeah, it is a bit strange. It almost acts like oil does it water, like it just won’t dissolve and remains in bubbles or clumps.. I noticed one time when I bought a bar of raw chocolate that was melting, the same thing happened, the nectar seemed to separate from the rest of the chocolate. Perhaps it’s not the best sweetener for making raw chocolate? I’m going to try others..

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I mix the powder and coconut oil (I agree; I don’t liquefy the coconut oil, either) together well first, and then add the agave or honey and stir it all up again. I mix it again before I use it if it has been sitting because the agave sometimes seperates to the bottom.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Raw honey works pretty well if it’s not runny, and maple syrup works well if you liquefy the coconut oil, mix it with the maple syrup and then add the chocolate powder, but maple syrup isn’t raw, so if you’re strictly 100% then that wouldn’t be the best option, but as far as mixing and setting up well, I like maple syrup the best. I use agave the most, though, and just deal with the seperation.

• Hi Nolanshmolan, Just had some raw chocolate sauce on my strawberries this morning….here’s how I do it. Equal parts agave and cacao in a bowl and stir together. It will form a pretty stiff ball of chocolate then slowly add in water to desired consistency. If you want something more like candy leave it and put it in the fridge. I sometimes add vanilla, cinnamon or hemp protein powder (kind of makes it taste like nutella!). Happy chocolate making!

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

I make raw cacao butter based chocolates. Many people say that maple syrup is alot better for making coconut oil chocolates than agave. Yes, maple syrup isn’t raw, but neither is agave, even if it says “Raw”

• Wow, thanks for all the replies everyone! I can see I am not alone in my quest for the perfect raw chocolate! :)

I will definitely give the raw (set) honey and the maple syrup a go. I am still transitioning so it’s the little treats like this and my choco-mesquite smoothies that are helping keep me on track, I’m not too concerned about being 100% yet. I can already feel the benefits and my body is naturally taking it step by step.

I was thinking of getting some raw sugar cane and using the juice from that. I think that might work well.

RawKidChef- I have heard about this while reading stuff here on Gone Raw. Interesting. Also I notice you are being a bit cryptic with your post. What do you use as a sweetener, may I ask? Do you not use any coconut oil at all, just cacao butter? Do you find sweeteners (specific ones or in general) dissolve better in cacao than coconut? I have yet to try it with cacao butter, it’s next on the list but having trouble finding an affordable raw version.

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

There is one more solution-Artisana’s Cacao Bliss! It is solid, but can be melted in warm water. It is smooth and delicious.

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

I used to have that problem. Now I use carob and lucuma for sweetening and just a touch of dark agave if needed.