Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Fat for weight loss/ and question about Larabars...

I’ve heard conflicting things about fat consumption and weight loss.

First, I’ve heard that one should limit the amount of fat they take in if their goal is to lose weight.

Then, I’ve heard that one should eat a certain amount of fat to help with weight loss/regulating body weight.

So, which is it?

And, I was wondering if Larabars are raw? Or are they considered a transitional food?

Comments

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

It could be both – or one for some types of people, and the other for others. That’s why there is conflicting information – everyone is not the same as everyone else :) The thing that is important is to set goals of being healthy, and giving the body what it needs to regulate and repair itself. As you do those things, you will find you can “listen to your body” or that you will naturally be drawn to those things that are best for you, and you won’t want the things that aren’t. If you only want to lose weight, you may miss a bigger goal of cleansing, nourishing, etc. that is more immediately important for your body to obtain great health.

• southernloversouthernlover Raw Newbie

No, larabars aren’t raw. It’s very sad, because they are DELISH! Yeah, transition food…along with Ezekiel Bread and such. (Which, by the way, makes me sick now.)

• nycgrrlnycgrrl Raw Newbie

I thought SOME larabars were raw and some weren’t?

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Larabars are raw, yes! Look at the label and you’ll see. I don’t eat nuts because all the fat is WAY more than what my digestive system can handle. Ezekiel bread is definately not raw, but larabars are.

• Yeah, the labels say they’re raw. I have one right here, and it reads:

“No added sugar. Unprocessed. RAW. Non-GMO. Gluten Free. Dairy Free. Soy Free. Vegan. Kosher.” And… “We at Larabar believe that a healthy body, mind, and spirit are derived from what you eat- and that food is healthiest and most satisfying in its simplest, most natural state. Made from 100% real food, Larabar is energy in its purest form. A magical harmony of fruits, nuts, and spices, Larabar harvests the best natural ingredients to lift your vitality and sustain energy with every bite. Simple. Pure. Delicious.”

So, the label says they’re raw, but I question this because I’ve heard otherwise from different sources. There’s even conflicting information here in this post! Not to mention, all the food products that will say “Raw” on the label, but aren’t actually authentically raw… How is it that these food companies can get a way with advertising their food as “Raw” if it isn’t so? I’m still confused about these Larabars…

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Larabars are raw. But, I called and they do NO germinate their nuts/seeds. Almost a perfect raw bar. But hey, if you don’t germinate the cashews… the Larabars with cashew would be okay – right?

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

rawbeginner, they can get away with it… because they use RAW ingredients… raw in the sense of unadulterated… not raw the way we would like, as in biogenic, bioactive, alive!

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

lara bars: i think some of the nuts in the bars might be blanched or something, but the bar itself is not cooked. i have been trying to make my own bars instead but i keep lara bars in my bag for “emergency hunger attacks” in which case eating a lara bar is better than the alternative. i am pretty cure smart monkey bars are 100% raw.

fat: well, i think if it is “good” fat from nuts and plants then it is better than animal fat. but for loosing weight one must be concerned with calories as well.

• suzyqsuzyq Raw Newbie

I think some of the confusion is that a lot of nuts get boiled or steamed or otherwise heated during processing (otherwise it’s really difficult to get them out of their shells!), so they may not be truly “raw.” But, for most consumers, raw nuts are just nuts that haven’t been roasted—most people don’t care about whether the nut has been heated past a certain point during processing. So I think that’s why some things are labeled “raw” when they aren’t exactly. And I think I’ve heard that this is why Lara bars might not be raw—if they source nuts that have been steamed/boiled/pasteurized… But I don’t know whether they do or not, sorry :(

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i saw on a label for a raw product that cashews are never truly raw. so i figured the lara bars with cashews were not raw and the others were?

• I have been thinking about this too. I have a salad dressing labeled raw, but the ingredient Nama Shoyu (sorry this is spelled wrong I know), anyway, it showed up on the ‘dead food list,’ as it has a base of cooked ingredients. Bummer. It seems there are many inaccurate uses of the label “raw” and it is not regulated as Organic eventually became. Maybe that will change in time. I just bought a bunch of nuts from Trader Joe’s all labeled “raw” but now after doing more research, I am sure they are not. Fortunately I am transitioning so I have leeway, but eventually I will have to buy the pricey ones if I am going to get what I want…

• rawjazzrawjazz Raw Newbie

I gained weight on a raw diet, and then I completely cut out nuts/fat from my diet and the weight came off effortlessly. But I know each person is different so what works for me might not work for everyone.

• rawjazz, was it hard to cut out all the fat because When I limit my fat too much I start to crave avocado or nuts and nut butter. I would like to lose a few pounds so I’ve been trying to watch my fat intake.