Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

A newbie seeks help!

Hi! I am new here! Im 21 and desperately in need of detox. my young body. For 20 years or so I ate a lot of meat. Now I want to change that – I feel sorry for the poor animals. I have been poisoning my body with gluten, casein, lactose, salt and sugar. I want to change that too! A friend of mine recommended me a book for raw foodism: The author proposes avoiding any kind of meat (including fish) and concentrating on raw vegetarian/vegan food. The only clue I know about this book is that the author is a male, American with Polish origin. First, I thought of Udo Erasmus. But his book about fats is not stressing on raw foodism? Can you help me find it? Thanks in advance!

If you can suggest me any book that will introduce me to the world of raw foods – I will appreciate that! I am also in need of some recipes to get me started. I am not a good cook, :(

Comments

• anngoingrawanngoingraw Raw Newbie

hi and welcome! Don’t know about the book, sorry.

you can search recipes in this site, by ingredients, type of dish…

since you don’t have to go 100% raw overnight (you can do it if you want but it is not a must), you can start adding raw dishes to your diet:

salads (greens, tomatos, carrot, cabbage, avocado, sprouts…) smothies (green – greens + fruit, or just fruit) raw and soaked nuts and seeds for for quick snacks

So you can try for example, a big raw salad and then you can add a cooked vegan option and see how do you feel. Then try to replace the cooked dishes with raw ones.

hope this helps!

• anngoingrawanngoingraw Raw Newbie

i didn’t know udo erasmus, thans for that information.

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

khalderon – hmmmm…the Boutenko family are of Russian descent and they have lots of books. That’s the closest I can get to Polish. I have Green for Life by Victoria Boutenko and it’s great and very accessible. Other well-known authors that I’ve read are David Wolfe, Dr. Gabriel Cousens, Matt Amsden, Alissa Cohen but there are many many others. You can probably find some of these at your library and they all have recipes in their books. The recipes here tend to be more realistic and easy to prepare from my experience, some of the ones in the books are daunting.

• Thanks for the quick responses! Now, it is appropriate to tell you my story: At the beginning of May I quit diary products – simply because I don’t gain a single gram from the casein. I also suspect having a lactose intolerance. 2 weeks later I stumbled upon D’Adamo’s book “Eat right for your type” which takes the blood group into account. Since I am 0+, I am supposed to be a blood-thirsty beast and to intake large amounts of proteins and little to no carbohydrates. I took some time thinking it over. Diary products are forbidden for my blood group – so far I did a step in the right direction! But then I had to immediately stop all gluten foods – wheat, corns etc. Actually gluten seemed to be the culprit of all evil in my body! Since 12 of Mai I don’t eat any wheat-containing products (breads, noodles, pasta etc.). Another good step in the right direction. But what about the high protein intake I am supposed to achieve? Being 175 cm in height, I weight only 55 kg. Maybe even less. After a few weeks without wheat/diary I might even reach 50 or even 45 kg. This is close to the edge. I can hardly do any physical work and I am afraid of collapsing :( It is obvious that my body needs a change. A change in the lifestyle, food habits and psychic. This is how I stumbled upon the “Raw foodism diet”. It resembles the “paleolithic” food, meaning that it might be suitable for my blood group. It has been a week since the last time I ate fish. I have more fish in the refrigerator and I am unsure what to do with it – throw it away or eat it? If I am going to heal my body what should I do? This was my “not so short” story. As you see, I am at an important stage in my life. I feel courageous because of abandoning diary and wheat without any regret. But, now I feel somehow different. Maybe I should pick up another forum for “testimonials” or better – for “personal experiences” where I can describe the changes? Thanks again for trying to help me! I just hope that this place will teach me a whole lot of new things about raw foods!

Best regards

P.S. About the books – eventually, I might give Udo Erasmus a try. I will start with his “Fats that heal, fats that kill”. Then I will come back here and torture you with more questions :) I heard Gabriel Cousens has nice books, so he is the next candidate.

• rachel_akikorachel_akiko Raw Newbie

Wow, that’s awesome that you’re giving up wheat and dairy. It’s hard to give that stuff up if you’re used to eating it every day…

Well, I wouldn’t suggest eating the leftover fish in your fridge, but if you don’t want to waste money, maybe you could feed it to your dog or cat if you have one! Raw meat is good for pets :D

• rachel_akikorachel_akiko Raw Newbie

Wow, that’s awesome that you’re giving up wheat and dairy. It’s hard to give that stuff up if you’re used to eating it every day…

Well, I wouldn’t suggest eating the leftover fish in your fridge, but if you don’t want to waste money, maybe you could feed it to your dog or cat if you have one! Raw meat is good for pets :D

• if that fish has been in your fridge for more then a week I don’t think it is even safe for you to eat

• if that fish has been in your fridge for more then a week I don’t think it is even safe for you to eat

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Gabriel Cousens talks about the blood type differences and says that type O people need more protein, but that they can successfully eat a raw vegan diet. He is type O, and there are many others who have been successful on a raw vegan diet regardless of blood type. His approach is extreme, even more so than just raw and vegan, but he does give some good information, and he helps people heal all the time from all kinds of illnesses. What is your height in feet and your weight in pounds? Do you know? Sorry, I don’t know the conversions.

• I think it’s wonderful you want to make this change, for yourself and for animals! But I suggest you take it slow, too much too fast often overwhelms people, causing them to get frustrated and give up. Only take on as much as you feel you can handle at a time. I suggest learning about veganism as well as rawism. Instead of thinking of removing things from your diet, think about REPLACING them. If replacing meat with nuts and seeds is too weird at first, tofu and beans might help your transition. The main point is to focus on health and be conscious of what you’re eating. Read ingredients, or better yet, go to your local farmer’s market and do most of your grocery shopping there. About non-raw, non-vegan things in your kitchen, just remember this: you aren’t helping anyone by eating them. If you are ready to replace them, the best thing you can do is throw them away. Be strong and keep with it. Keep posting to the forums and you’ll get great advice and support. Good luck and good health!