Maca, Red Maca, Maca Extreme - what is the difference?

queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

I want to get some Maca but what is really the difference between the different kinds being sold on the raw sites.

I see Maca (white colored), Red Maca and Maca Extreme. I read there are other types too.

Anyone try the different types and know what the differences are? (esp. interested in hearing from the girls)

I want to take for depression and stress-related issues mostly.

Comments

• heartshapedskyheartshapedsky Raw Newbie

queenfluff~ maybe this link will help: http://www.sunfood.com/b2c/ecom/ecomEnduser/ite… david wolfe’s site gives a lot of product info.

xoxo

okay, my link didn’t work- just go to sunfood, then supplements and then you’ll find Maca!

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

I started taking maca in capsule form because I had heard it’s good to balance out your hormones but I haven’t noticed any real difference

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

thanks guys!

I looked over the different ones on sunfood but found better info on Natural Zing.

“Phytochemical screening showed that extract of Red Maca has alkaloids, steroids, tannins, saponins, and cardiotonic glycosides. Examination of three ecotypes of Maca showed the highest peak values were observed for Red Maca, intermediate values for Yellow Maca and low values for Black Maca.”

It seems that Red Maca has the highest concentration of these things. The Maca Extreme seems to be a more concentrated version of regular (white colored) maca.

Natural Zing also sells something called MacaPunch which is from Black Maca.

It seems like they all do the same things basically but Red Maca is the highest concentration. Being Red/purple is always good too. Red Maca is supposed to be very good for prostate cancer.

It is still confusing but Natural Zing also said that Red Maca has a more milder taste than the regular.

I will be ordering from them since I will getting free shipping!

I think I am going to try the Red Maca but not completley decided yet.

• This if from “Pub Med Central”

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1534053”;

It seems that all the forms of Maca are good for depression. The Red Maca also reduces the size of the prostate.

Background

Lepidium meyenii Walp. (Brassicaceae), known as Maca, is a Peruvian hypocotyl growing exclusively between 4000 and 4500 m altitude in the central Peruvian Andes, particularly in Junin plateau and is used traditionally to enhance fertility. Maca is a cultivated plant and different cultivars are described according to the color of the hypocotyls.

Methods

The study aimed to elucidate the effect of Yellow, Red and Black Maca on cognitive function and depression in ovariectomized (OVX) mice. In all experiments OVX mice were treated during 21 days and divided in four groups: control group, Yellow Maca, Red Maca and Black Maca. Latent learning was assessed using the water finding task and the antidepressant activity of the three varieties of Maca was evaluated using the forced swimming test. Animals were sacrificed at the end of each treatment and the uterus were excised and weighed.

Results

Black Maca was the variety that showed the best response in the water finding task, particularly in the trained mice. The three varieties were effective to reduce finding latency in non trained and trained mice (P < 0.05). In the force swimming test, all varieties assessed reduced the time of immobility and increased uterine weight in OVX mice.

Conclusion

Black Maca appeared to have more beneficial effects on latent learning in OVX mice; meanwhile, all varieties of Maca showed antidepressant activity.

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

All – I ended up buying the Red Maca from Natural Zing.com.

I do notice I feel happy and sort of “giddy” while I drink my Red Maca smoothie and I feel pretty content and happy for many hours after which is good! I feel a bit of an energy increase too. I am quite pleased with it.:)

I plan to do a comparsion though – next time I will buy the white and see if I feel any different on that.

naivegeye – thanks for posting that. But now I am bit depressed to learn Maca was tested on mice! Poor micies! :( I hope the stuff I bought wasn’t!

I am not sure what the water finding is though? But the Black Maca has more effect on the mices’ uterus – it that positive for increase sexual funciton? Well, it doesn’t matter anyhow as I don’t believe that animal tests are really applicable to humans anyhow – mice are very different from us.