Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

CAROB

MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

I need to find some…this is really raw, right? I’d like to have something chocolaty without the buzz of cacao. Where can I get some, and is it raw?

Comments

• Sorry I have no answer, just another question. What exactly is the difference between cacao and carob? I have never had either but will probably order some cacao online. My health food store doesn’t have any but they said they might order it. lol

• For raw Carob, try alissacohen.com Alissa Cohen sells really raw, very good carob at a great price! You’ll have to click on food, then her store to find it. She sells 2 lbs for $10.00!

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Natural Zing sells it! That’s where I get mine from… they’re in MD near where I live. They sell for about $5.79 for 16 ounces. Or 5 lbs for $25.

Just a reminder… if you are substituting it for cacao… use 1/4-1/3 the cacao amount for carob.

mallorymoore707 – Cacao is what chocolate is made from… it is a ‘stimulant’ but has a lot of antioxidents.

Carob is a bean… used as a substitute for chocolate. It doesn’t taste similar… and there’s only so much one can eat of it (unlike chocolate/cacao, yum). Some recipes are great with carob instead of chocolate and vice versa.

Cacao is what chocolate is made from… it is a ‘stimulant’ but has a lot of antioxidents.

Carob is a bean… used as a substitute for chocolate. It doesn’t taste similar… and there’s only so much one can eat of it (unlike chocolate/cacao, yum). Some recipes are great with carob instead of chocolate and vice versa.

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

It only has a vague chocolate taste(more like vageuly milk chocolate). I have only tried heated carob admittedly. But if you want a less stimulating effect, combine part cacao and part carob. 3 parts carob and 1 part cacao. approximately. :) Sometimes carob tastes perfectly well in recipes, and other times It can be..I don’t know, but it isn’t what you want sometimes, and for those times, I add a little cacao to even the taste a bit. :)

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

I bought my raw carob from amazon and I found it very gritty. It did not help me get off the cacao. It’s a totally different product and I’m not having good results with it being a substitute for creamy raw chocolate. I’m thinking you’d have to add more coconut oil/butter to geta creamier consistency, but I don’t really want to go the more fat route.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

The carob you buy from normal outlets, health food shops etc is NOT raw. The only raw carob is when it is sold as specifically really raw carob. The difference is unbelievable. Normal carob tastes awful, really yukky, but the really raw stuff is truly delicious. I love eating whole carob pods which I buy from http://www.detoxyourworld.com they are a real treat, yum ;)

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

I had figured it might taste better raw(What doesn’t?).

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Zoe – I wonder why they don’t sell raw carob everywhere, if it tastes better raw.

I like carob – it’s different than chocolate. I find that it’s tasty in mousse (avocado, banana, sweetener blender – served w/ strawberries). It’s tasty in certain desserts that are designed for carob – you can’t necessarily use it any time chocolate is appropriate.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I know, I just couldn’t believe it when I tried raw carob for the first time. I had always hated it, now I love it!

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Well, my cacao addiction had to go; just too wearing on my body.

Sounds like raw carob is the way to do things; thanks for the link!

• What do some of you think about this article saying that Raw Carob is not good and hard to digest by Dr. Jameth Sheridan? http://www.blessingsaliveandradiantfoods.com/dr…

Please share any other info you may have.