Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Young Coconuts

I’m new to the raw thing 3+ weeks. I keep seeing all these recipes for young coconuts but I have no idea where to find them. I know people say the Asian Market, but what if you live in a small town. I live in Colorado and the closest large town to me is Grand Junction. Any ideas?

Rockma

Comments

• Rockma – market street, fiesta, carnival, mexican markets usually sell young coconuts. do you have any of those stores? also talk to your local grocer and ask them to carry them – usually they will accomodate and work with the produce buyers.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

My grandparents lived in Grand Junction, and it’s where my parents both grew up :) I used to go there 3 or 4 times a year when I was a kid. How close are you? Do they have an Asian Market? I drive 30 minutes one way to buy young coconuts by the case from an Asian market, because they are a dollar cheaper per coconut than buying them at the health food store or grocery store close to me. I sometimes use them a lot, so I buy a case or two at a time – if they are fresh when I buy them, they usually last a week or so in the fridge. I hope you get access to some soon; they are like heaven to me – the water has lots of electrolytes and is fabulous if you’ve been out in the sun, or exercise a lot, or are recovering from the flu, etc. I love the meat all by itself or in drinks, puddings & pies – YUM! Maybe I’ll have some young coconuts today. :)

• The water of the young coconut is so good for you! Did you know?: during the Pacific War of 1941-45, both sides in the conflict regularly used coconut water – siphoned directly from the nut -to give emergency plasma trasfusions to wounded soldiers. This is due to the electrolytes in coconut water to be exactly the levels found in our blood. It’s sterile, yummy, and healthy. Forget those nasty sports drinks. If you can’t drink breastmilk, drink coconut water. heh heh.

• Thanks for the responses. I will try to find an Asian market in Grand Junction. BTW mamamilk, glad to see another mommie with a full quiver!!

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Young coconuts you buy at the store are dipped in formaldehydes and cyanide, which make them not organic. I order them from http://www.genefitnutrition.com. Rawguru.com sells them too, but they are twice as expensive. I know both websites seem expensive but the other option may not work for you depensing on whether you care. My mother can smell the pesticides, it’s strange but you can smell it. They smell a llittle different than adult coconuts, which are organic.

I know many of you think that this is not true, but it is. Trust me. Forgive me if I sound so negative, coconuts are jsut so good and I hate to eat them if they aren’t organic.

• Maybe you can get them shipped to you? I have a friend who has a raw catering business here, and he gets young thai coconuts shipped to him that are organic, and they are AMAZING! But they go so fast because they are organic. So if you do order a huge amount, make sure you can A) freeze some of the meat/juice…and/or share the wealth and share your coconuts with others!!

• Yes rawkidchef, this is an issue that people are divided on. matt amsden sent some supposedly dipped to a chemist friend and found no traces of toxins. I have heard that “best” brand is not soaked. but i have no confirmation on that. Also, finding U.S. growers is helpful. It would take several months of soaking in toxins to reach the flesh and water – not that thats a good excuse for buying things touched by pesticides and sprayed…. but when making organic vs. non-organic choices – as many have to – fruits and veggies that have tougher skin (avo’s, bananas, etc.) or those naturally repellant to insects and fungus are the choices that are made often when needed. As much as I love young coconuts, I don’t eat them often – wish I could more – my kids love the many delicious concoctions – but their favorite way is straight from the shell. : ) anyway, in my mind the jury is still out and the real issue is more the ecological footprint I’m making if I buy things that are shipped from outside the U.S. Then shipped again from local distributers. I think I’ll start a thread… this has been on my mind a lot and I wonder how others feel about it…

• rockma – glad to hear you’re here too! life is quite beautiful…