Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Need Help with Green Smoothies

I just bought this great new Blentec fancy-schmancy blender and was all excited about having green smoothies. I bought some kale at the grocery store (at least Kroger said it was kale) and threw it in the blender with some strawberries, pineapple and water. I used the stems and all because this blender will liquefy anything.

The smoothie tasted like someone had spiked it with hot mustard. I like spicy foods. So, for the first few sips I thought this was going to be OK. But, it was so spicy my kids and my wife wouldn’t drink it. What did I do wrong? I did put quite a bit of kale in there. But, I’ve always had cooked kale and it didn’t taste spicy.

Comments

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

It couldn’t of been kale. Kale isn’t spicy. It might of been rocket? Do a google image search and find out. I’ve never heard of spicy kale and I am a kale conisseur!!!

Try doing a green smoothie with spinach, it is so mild and creamy everyone will like it.

• Thanks Zoe. (love that name BTW).

I’m thinking maybe Kroger mislabeled the kale. But, it looks like the kale I”ve had before. I just tried some of the raw leaves and it’s definitely spicy! And, I love spice- I’m no wimp when it comes to hot foods. It tastes almost like spicy mustard. There is no way everybody’s putting this into their smoothies.

I’ll try again (sigh). The first time we tried my wife bought bagged kale. It had gone bad before we bought it. The second time I bought fresh bundled at Kroger.

• We tried dandelion and plantain from our yard. A little bit of the dandelion goes a long way, but the plantain is pretty mild. If you like spicy greens, we like the onion mustard growing around everywhere here.

I was wondering if any one uses collard greens, or any other type of greens in thier smoothies?

• brianwestchest – sounds like you were given mustard greens. They are very good but very spicy, especially raw. My bf and I had that happen as well about a month ago. The local store labeled it as kale too. It was quite a surprise, and unpalatable. btw mustard greens are good marinaded with garam masala, red onion and raisins.

Blessings :)

• SuzicalSuzical Raw Newbie

It does sound like you got some Mustard greens. So, you basically got a wasabi nasal cleaning thing going on there…ouch!

Mustard goes well if you are making it more a veggie than a fruit smoothie. I would add avocado, as the fat goes well with the mustard (tones it down and makes it more palatable).

Gorawmom – I love collards and incorporate them into almost everything. Rhio has a fabulous greens recipe on her website (http://www.rawfoodinfo.com/home/home_a.html) and ever since I found this recipe, it is how I make my collards. Collards are amazing (I don’t think they have ever been hybridized) and are truly a soul food in every sense of the word. I live in SoFlo and am planning on growing some in my garden.

I just completed a 6 week raw juice fast and have been chowing down on green smoothies. Victoria Boutenko’s GREEN FOR LIFE is a great book to have – lots of good recipes. Into every smoothie I make I always add cuke, zuchinni and a few romaine leaves. They are all bland and cooling and go well with veggies or fruit of choice.

• SuzicalSuzical Raw Newbie

One more thing – Brian – I was thinking of getting a Blentec. How do you like it so far?

• Is is possible that you were given arugula? It looks different but is quite peppery. Maybe not. I would recommend starting with the milder, sweeter greens (spinach, romaine, leaf lettuce) and then working up to the stronger flavors. You will probably find a mixture that works for you and then you are off to the races. Also, I find that couple of dates in a smoothie adds a nice sweetness. Good luck.

• nycgrrlnycgrrl Raw Newbie

i bet it was mustard greens—yowza! that happened to me once.

Suzical-i love my blendtec—just got it!

• RawVoiceRawVoice Raw Newbie

I agree with all of those who think it was mustard greens. Sounds like the store mislabeled the greens! Maybe you should tell them what happened.

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

The stalks can be very bitter, I usually don’t put them in a blend as it can spoil the flavour.

• Yeah, I’m 99% certain they were mustard greens. After doing some research and tasting the leaves again (by themselves), they tasted just like hot mustard. I would never want those in a fruit smoothie.

Suzical, I love the Blendtec so far. We’ve had many blenders over the years and keep burning them out because they just don’t handle ice well. I have no doubt it’s a good blender and I got it at Costco- giving me a 7 year hassle-free warranty. The question is “Does it warrant the cost?” If it lasts for 7 plus years, the answer is yes. At the demo, the guy put whole strawberries (greens and all) and grapes with seeds in with ice and made a juice where you couldn’t even detect the greens or the seeds were in it. It’ll allow us to get a lot more whole fruits into our diet.

p.s.- I tried to subscribe to this topic. But, I don’t get emails updating me. Is there something else I need to do?

• Thank you Suzical! I had never seen that site. Also thanks for the info on the romain, cuke, celery, ect. I will try that. I heard that cuke an celery are good for skin problems. That is great news for a mom with teenagers!