Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Essential Fatty-Acids...

Okay, healthy fats…

Apparently certain fats are a necessity in the proper functioning of the body, in the right amounts. I have a little weight I’d like to lose and have been wondering how to consider fat-consumption. I’ve heard from some that eliminating fats entirely has helped with weight loss, and from others that adding some fats to the diet has helped with weight loss. I’m not sure which of these two categories I fall in to, since I haven’t really experimented with either, nor have I ever really paid attention to how many grams and the kind of fat I was eating. However, since Essential Fatty-Acids are… essential… I was thinking it would probably be healthier for me to consume adequate amounts of fats (and hope, hope, hope that it aids my weight loss rather than, gulp, inhibits it).

I found this webpage explaining fats: http://www.helpguide.org/life/healthy_diet_fats… It’s really informative.

So, I would like to add a little more healthy fat to my diet. I’ve cut out nuts (except for the occasional Larabar- I’m transitioning, and those things are delicious!). I rarely eat seeds, if ever. I don’t use olive oil that often, if ever. I do like avocado, but they’re kind of expensive and (here I go again, I’m gonna say it…) I’m tight on money. So, avocado is a “once in a while” indulgence.

I’ve heard things here and there about Coconut Oil. I’ve heard that it’s one of the healthiest oils to eat. And I’ve heard that some people have lost weight quite easily after adding some to their diets… which is obviously a plus in my opinion. So, what about Coconut Oil? Should I get some and use it in my attempt to eat more healthy fats? Any other healthy fat ideas?

Comments

• of all the fats, i’d say go with the avocado

all oils are fragmented foods, as opposed to the whole foods they are extracted from

always try to stay as close to mature as possible

all fruits and vegs contain fats….even lettuce….many long term raw fooders eat sufficient calories from fruit and veg that they don’t need to consume any ‘overt’ fats

if using avocado try no more than one a day….half a day would be even better….and easier on the wallet

• Thanks for the suggestion. But, like I said, I’m tight on money, so I eat avocadoes sparingly. For me to eat avocadoes on a daily basis would cost too much money, even half of one a day (it

• Hi,

Hemp seed are great and contain a perfect amount of omega 3 and 6 and are full of protein, iron, minerals e.t.c. I buy orgainic hemp seeds from -http://www.herbsgardenshealth.com/Alkalise_For_… And i soak these for about 12 hours and then sprout them, so there living food, alkaline and easy to digest.

Paulie.

• FLAX SEEDS, they are the most important source of omega3 fatty acid, which is the healthiest type of fat you can eat, and they are dirt cheap!!!

• if you have to choose only one, choose hemp seeds and/or hemp oil over flax. hemp is superior.

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

Pumpkin seeds are economical too, and they have a pretty nice combination of omega 3, 6 and 9 (oleic acid) fatty acids. Also, omega 9’s are very beautifying!

• Flax seeds are a good source of omega 3s , but chia seeds are actually the richest plant source of this essential fatty acid. Also, unlike flax, chia seeds do not have to be ground. Just soak in water or your preferred liquid (I love fresh grapefruit juice or sesame milk mixed with a few tablespoons of dry chia) and make chia gel. You can find the recipe here for chia gel: http://www.fountainofjuice.com/chia-seed-gel/

Seaweed, spriulina, and greens also contain healthy fats and are fairly inexpensive.