Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw, is it for me??

I’ve been suffering from week digestion for about a year and I can’t take it anymore! I have a hard time absorbing nutrients in my food and I’m always constipated. I’m constantly bloated and I HAVE to get monthly colonics just to help my colon out!! I’m wondering if somebody could give me some advice. I’ve been raw for over two years and I’ve been sick more being raw than not raw! I have many allergies to fruit and try my best to avoid it. I also can’t eat nuts, seeds, or anything sprouted. Occasionally I can eat flax seeds, but I don’t push that too much. I have a horrible time eating onions, garlic, and even raw unsalted, sun-dried olives. I’m not left with too many options after this. I also try to stay away from green peppers and cabbage because they make me ill too…..I’m wondering if my body just isn’t designed for a raw life. I’m not saying hey lets go party and maugh out on some vegan patties and deep fried chick-uns with some boca burgers on the side. No, I’m going to stick to whole foods, not processed meat substitutes! lol I’m trying like crazy to fix my digestion and heal my colon, and it seems like raw foods are destroying me. I don’t want to give up this tradition I’ve become attached to, but I feel like there is an energy telling me to cook my carrots, tomatoes, and throw some rice in the mix. It’s not that I’m craving these foods, I just feel like something out there is telling me to do so….Any help? Advice? Hints?? Thanks.

Comments

• southernloversouthernlover Raw Newbie

Go with it. Some people’s bodies are just TOO adapted to cooked food because of previous behavior, and I think after many years of ancestors eating that way. It just affects some more than others. Eat some stinkin rice! :) Good luck.

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

Oh Chakra,

I feel your pain. I just finished reading the thread about people who poop 2 or 3 x a day and I thought CRAP! LOL I wish that was me. I’ve been 85-100% Raw for over a year now and still have a sluggish…NAY Stagnant intestinal tract. ARG. Cooked food was no good either btw. But my point and I do have one is that last night I tried the old standby Raw Apple Cider Vinegar. Don’t ask me why I never did it before. At midnight I mixed 1 T in warm water with some stevia and 10 minutes later BAMMO!. Did the same this morning and 10 minutes later BAMMO! The recommendation id to do this 3 x a day. Supposedly the ACV helps to balance the bodies Ph etc…. Then again. Forget everyone elses rules and Eat some Rice! ;o)

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Yeah, I agree – If you can’t do fruit, nuts, seeds or sprouted things, it sounds like you’re left with veggies & grains. It may be that you need the cooked stuff for now, and maybe someday more raw will be what you need, but unless/until that happens, listen to the “something out there” that is telling you what you need :)

• chakra essence & marichiesa, i am so glad i am not alone in this!! believe it or not, i only become constiputed whenever i go 80-100% raw. when i introduce cooked vegetarian or even throw in some meat, my bowels start moving normally again. i absolutely love raw veg & fruits. unfortunately, it seems the raw diet is not for me. strange but true.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Honeygal – that’s interesting. I’m glad people are willing to be honest about what’s going on. I’ve had people ask me if I’m a “raw foodist” and even though I love raw food and it makes me feel good, I feel hesitant in the term. That is because it seems that anyone who is a “raw foodist” seems to believe it is the only/best way for everyone, all the time, and I’m not convinced of that, although I believe that raw foods are good for everyone, I don’t believe that the same foods or amounts or percentages raw are good for everyone. We each have a journey in life, and each person has to take accountability for walking the road that is best for individual progress. This includes the journey to health and healing. I have studied nutrition and natural healing a lot, and I have had people ask if such & such is “good for you” or “bad for you” – I have told people “I don’t know what’s good for YOU, because I’m not you. I can tell you things I’ve read or experienced, but you have to decide and find out what’s right for you.” Same thing, when people tell me “That is so bad for you!” My response (whether I say it out loud or not), is, “How do you know what’s bad for ME? Who gave you the right to know/decide what’s good or bad for me?” I am all about reading, studying, getting all the information, science, experience & opinions of others, and weighing it against what the author’s motives are, what others have said on the same subject, etc. and finding what rings true for YOU! That is the only way I feel I can obtain success with so many conflicting sources of “information” or “scientific evidence” or whatever else out there – Wow! I love this world :)

• I like this thread…so many people are so into wanting to be labeled 100% raw (which is fine), that that is their ultimate goal. Our ultimate goal should be health and how we feel, changing what makes us feel bad, and what we know is bad for us. I’m a high raw girl (mmmm, I love raw food), but there are lots of whole foods that make me feel just as good as raw food…it’s like Angie said, “We’re all on our own journies to health” and we all have different bodies that react differently to all sorts of things. Health and feeling vibrant where we are should be the goal.

• Have you ever been tested for Candida? Food allergies are a big sign of Candida overgrowth. My entire system – top to bottom – is MUCH better since I kicked mine, and I can eat most foods now that made my throat and ear canals and nasal passages itch like crazy. You can Google ‘Candida Spit Test’ to find out how to start. Food allergies are NOT usually genetic, which was news to me. I think you should find out why you have so many food problems to start with.

The 100% raw thing is not for everyone. It isn’t for me. I do 70% or better and have no desire to be 100%. I feel spiritually high but physically terrible when I eat 100% raw, or low protein, or low fat or high fruit – the same diet won’t work for everyone, as angie said. The ratios that make you feel the best have to be discovered by YOU.

I’m with Sky Princess – the goal is health. Digestive enzymes from Healthforce Nutritionals seem to help me quite a bit on a daily basis. I have virtually no digestive issues when I take them with food – even some raw food that would be gas-producing for me otherwise. I know some people aren’t into supplementation, but my body was DAMAGED by incorrect treatment for many years and now I’m healing it the best way I can.

Follow YOUR body’s wisdom, and please do yourself a favor and check out that Candida thing!!!

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

I was going to say Candida too. It sounds like the effects from it dying off slightly(yay you’re obviously threatening it). It can constipate and make you feel TERRIBLE. Also you may need to add in ALOT of enzymes until your body can handle things on it’s own.

• I had some rice and I didn’t feel guilty! Phew! That was my biggest concern, I was really worried I would feel gross and guilty. As far as candida goes, I’ve definitely had my suspicions but my naturalpath told me he didn’t think I had it. He told me of a test I could do in the morning where I spit into a glass of water and the way the spit sinks/floats can tell me if I have candida. I can not remember how it works though. Has anybody heard of this method?