Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Green Smoothies!

angie207angie207 Raw Master

I tried a green smoothie last fall, and the taste was pretty good, but it hasn’t felt like what my body wants, and the thought of green smoothies has just made me almost gag when people talked about them after that. That was until the last 5 days, during which the thought of a green smoothie somehow kept growing and yesterday I saw a recipe for one that sounded so good that I immediately got up from the computer and made one! It felt sooooo good! So now, I want ideas for your favorite green smoothies, cuz I’m HOOKED and I don’t have any experience with them.

Comments

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

3 Apples juices + huge handful spinach

1 english cucumber (they’re about 1 foot long here) 2 sticks celery juiced loads and loads of wild nettles

Peach and spinach, mmmmmm

They’re not strictly smoothies coz I use juice but hey, they work for me especially the nettle and cucumber, woweee!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Zoe – I don’t have a clue what nettles look like or where to find them, but the peach one sounds YUMMMMMMY!!!! I love green juices, too, so no worries :)

• From my breakfast this morning:

Filled up the blender with half kale, half spinach. Added some raw almond milk and some water. One banana, three strawberries, 2 dates, sprinkle of hemp seeds. YUM

Kale makes the best green smoothies!!

• SueSue Raw Newbie

I know there’s been a ton of topics on green smoothies but here it goes…My favorite, and easiest smoothie (assuming you have a vita-mix or high speed blender) is a combination of kale, spinach and romaine, sometimes with a little dandelion thrown in, combined with water, pineapple, banana, and strawberry. I sometimes add 1 chopped carrot, and/or a celery stalk. Sometimes I put in some maca or super green food, or dates or soaked goji, depending on how much kick I need or how much sweetness I want. If you experiment you will find that almost any combination of organic greens with some fruit for sweetness will work. I always use at least 1 frozen fruit so the mixture doesn’t get too warm.

Yum! Thanks, guys :) I love kale, & yes, we have a vita-mix. The one I made the other day was kale, banana, oranges & pineapple. I just stocked my fridge with greens & I have several fruits, too, but I keep eating all the fruit! :)

I did a combo of your ideas: kale, banana, dates, strawberries, pineapple, hemp seeds – Yum!

More ideas are welcome (& requested) PLEEEEEASE?!

• I like to juice orange or apple for the base (1 cup), and then add 7 strawberries, a frozen banana, 2 T. hemp seeds, and a hand full of greens like spinich, or weeds from my yard. I usually add a bit of honey or agave to balance the hemp. Angie, I really felt the same way you did at first. I am still careful not to smell it before I drink it! LOL!

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

My favorite is by Sarma: http://www.welikeitraw.com/rawfood/2008/01/find… You can simplify it but I loved the idea of peeled lemons and limes and cucumber as a base and all of the lovely herbs.

• green girlgreen girl Raw Newbie

Today I had a good one: 3 Pears, 1/2 blender of romaine, 2 bananas and water. I normally don’t like pears because of a texture issue, but my vitamix took care of that and it was sweet and yummy!

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

the basic is this: 1/2 greens, 1/2 frozen fruit (either frozen by me or the local unblanched stuff i buy), chia or flax

add-ins: spirulina, hemp powder, almond milk, soaked cashews, oranges, or cacao powder. (not all at the same time but I vary it with these things)

types of greens I use are kale, chard, spinach.

enjoy! I have at least 2 per day.

• 1 mango, 1 banana, 2-3 handfuls of spinach, swirl of agave, little water (about 1/4 cup) and ice. Delicious! And even MORE delicious is when you substitute the water with COCONUT WATER!!!!!

• Girlfridae1Girlfridae1 Raw Newbie

Green Smoothies are the BEST! My every morning one is:

1/2 English cucumber 1/2 apple 2 tsp maca powder 1 to 2 tsp spirulina 1 TBS dried coconut Juice of 1 lemon and 1 lime 2 1/4 inch slices ginger 1 small bunch parsely

Blend and drink:)

• Doesn’t anyone else get lots of foam when making smoothies? I actually like the green drinks better because of the fact that I don’t get the foam….am I doing something wrong?

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

I had a delicious smoothie this morning using about a cup of pineapple, 1 banana, 1/2 tsp spirulina, 1 handful spinach, 1 handful parsley, a few nettles, pinch sea salt. One of the best I’ve had in a while.

• loriprude-I get a lot of foam also. Sometimes it is just too foamy. It seems that apples, pineapples and oranges are the biggest culprits, so sometimes I just juice those ingredients and only use the juice in the smoothie. However, if you want the whole fruit you can try using more water, which sometimes helps.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i just added mint to mine tonight and it was quite nice.

Wow! Thanks for all the wonderful ideas :)

bitt – I need to try one with mint (maybe chocolate mint?) We’ll see – my neighbor has mint plants she wants to give me; woohoo!!!!!

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

mango+spinach, banana+orange+swiss chard

• appleberry! 1c. juiced apple, 1c. water, 1/2c. frozen mullberry, 2 dates, 1/2c. frozen blueberry, 2 apples, 2 large handfulls of spinich, and 1 frozen banana. Beautiful deep dark color, and yummy in the tummy!