Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

I totally fell off the raw wagon

NuttgirlNuttgirl Raw Newbie

Ugh!! To make a very long story short for the the last month I have been eating a lot of crap…processed foods, chocolate, pizza, cheeses, etc.. I am now paying the price. Besides gaining some weight I have been getting terrible stomach pains and have even had some rectal bleeding. I just feel like a huge mess. Starting tomorrow I am going back to my normal high raw vegan diet. I never had any of the problems when I ate raw. Any tips on how to maintain a raw diet long term?

One of the problems I have been having is that when I get really stressed out I eat a lot of comfort foods that are unhealthy. The other problem is that my boyfriend is your typical SAD eater and with him being home more often his bad eating habits have really rubbed off on me.

Comments

• What keeps me on a long term raw diet?

THIS SITE.

All of the helpful recipes and questions. It’s my saving grace. Coming from a SAD diet, I can’t help but crave comfort food myself sometimes. Before finding this site, I never knew the amazing things you could do with raw food!! You CAN have chocolate! It’s not going to be Heryshey’s though, that’s for sure. And you CAN have pizza. Only you can have energy from it. It’s going to be different, it’s going to take some planning, but the flavor is going to be there!!! I swear, I don’t even crave those foods anymore, and I’ve just finished my 3rd month doing 100% raw.

Once I realized how creative I could get with food, and make things taste WAY better than when they were cooked…that got me hooked. It makes all that other stuff out there…Pizza Hut, Taco Bell…imitation. Bland, lifeless imitation.

Your bout this month is over. It’s the best time to look up your favorite recipes on here and choose ATLEAST ONE and try it out…Make sure it’s something you get completely excited over!!!

Best wishes :)

• Nuttgirl, the same thing happened to me. I’ve been eating, well, uh…LOTS of junk.

I’ve had several “OK, starting tomorrow…” moments, but they haven’t stuck yet.

I’m gonna start again tomorrow, though. While I’m not living with anyone, there will be snacks at work this week, which should make it tough.

Good luck to you.

• I had the same problem in April, I fell completly off the wagon and felt just miserable. For me, I’ve had to back track some because I came from eating SAD in January, I was not even vegetarian, though I didn’t eat red meat or pork, and I switched completly to RAW. So, I made a commitment to myself that I would ease myself into it in May, which I’ve been doing, and I’m going to take it a little slower. I’m now trying to make the switch to vegan, which I have been in the past but not recently. Then once I’ve got that down I’m going to shoot for two raw meals a day and one cooked vegan meal, and then just see how I feel from there.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Oh, I don’t feel alone :) I have lacked energy & money to make some of the things I love, but I realized I do better when I have a big variety of fruit, salad ingredients, & dressings around, and at least one dessert or main dish that is filling & yummy so I don’t go crazy only eating salads & fruit :)

meganthevegan – I know what you mean about the taste! I can’t believe the cardboard taste I used to think of as food!

• I know how you feel, my boyfriend ordered pizza tonight and I thought, it’s been so long, I think I’d like one too! BAD IDEA!!! I actually became physically ill and the pizza tasted horrible, just awful…the crst wasn’t even fully cooked, I felt really guilty afterwards, for not only giving into my craving but the fact that I wasted a whole pizza(by boyfriend won’t eat it, too many veggies, hehhe) and money, that is the last time I do that.

• Hey, nuttgirl.

You could try starting your day with a big green smoothie or a green juice. I always prefer green juices but its personal preference. A green drink is a great way to start your day and also very satisfying, and hopefully will make you crave more heally alkaline foods, fruits and greens e.t.c, over the unhealthy acid forming junk foods.

Paulie.

• TzefiraTzefira Raw Newbie

yea i fell too… i ate a baked potato and some cereal yesterday and today! i have noticed that when i eat cooked food… i get very moody. Gotta be something there. Im in a bad mmon right now and my tummy is aching….... :(

JoyceH – Cool experience! Thanks for sharing! I agree that the attitude and “real” versus processed foods make a huge difference. I have a friend who ate a frosted sugar cookie at a church get-together after eating at least high raw for a long time, and when someone questioned her because they were shocked that she was eating a cookie, she just said that the cookie was probably made with a lot of love.

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

I still eat some cooked grain as per the Thrive Diet by Brendan Brazier (I’m a recreational marathon and find I need some grains). I find that I can eat amarath, brown rice pretty easily with no issues. I cannot eat anything with soy.. that’s the worst. I also stay away from gluten although last night, for the first time, I ate some homemade vegan pizza with a nice flour based crust and I actually enjoyed it and didn’t feel bad at all ( I ran a marathon the day before and felt if there was ever a time to indulge it was last night)

• i too have feel off the raw wagon a few times (although still vegan). when i’m craving comfort foods, I search this site for a good alternative… or I’ll google the food i’m wanting and just add ‘raw’ to the keywords. it’s been so helpful.

although i’m only high raw, i try to eat as much raw as possible, and when i do allow myself some cooked foods, i usually try for some steamed veggies or something really healthy. it’s easier to get back on track when you haven’t strayed too far (like pizza or mexican).

• thecavsmanthecavsman Raw Newbie

I too am starting to not see a little bit of cooked grain as bad, I just genuinely like raw more. I’m just starting to lose my animosity towards maybe straying from raw a tiny bit very occasionally. It’s just hard to not want to keep the streak going once I am on it. Once you get a week under your belt (for some people I’ve talked to at least) of all raw, you wanna keep on running like Forest Gump did when he jogged down the street and ended up going cross country.

I think this attitude of not craving too much cooked comes from the fact that I never really liked food before I went raw. I just didn’t like being hungry and I’d eat whatever would fill me up. Pizza and beef nachos were the only foods I genuinely liked and therefore are the only cooked foods I sometimes think about now – but I will NEVER indulge in meat!

The problem for me is I don’t wanna just indulge one day in oat cereal with soy milk or rice cakes. I’m thinking, What fun is that? I only had two comfort foods (pizza and nachos). I actually like green smoothies and No Crust Key Lime Pie (my new comfort food) more than healthy cooked foods. When I indulge, it’s gonna be on vacation with a slice of pizza – and it’ll probably make me sick, too.

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

I treat myself once a week for a meal at a raw restaurant to keep myself motivated. Do you have any in your area?

Going to raw potlucks are a lot of fun, too. Do you have a local raw community you can turn to for support? LOL. :)

achin70 – That’s a good idea. I have been thinking the last few days that it would be fun to have a raw potluck in my neighborhood, but I guess I don’t want one bad enough yet to organize it :) heehee As for the restaurant, budget limitations! But I did used to volunteer and work there and get a free meal. Problem is that it’s 40 minutes away, so with the price of gas, I may as well not bother. I can work on making my own food for the amount of time I would spend to drive & work there, and get a lot more to eat, for not a whole lot more than I would have to spend on gas… If I had the money, though, I’d go there and buy the food anyway, just to do something nice for myself. I like to order extra when I do eat there, just so I can have something to take home for the next day – makes it like going twice for half the cost in gas ;) heeheehee

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i am wondering what is causing your eating non-raw. is it time/energy to cook? or is it cravings? you mentioned stress. i too have this. i have some raw “comfort foods” around like flax crackers, lemon cookies, etc. lots of recipies on this site. relax and drink some kombacha tea.

My ultimate “comfort food” has to be fresh, ripe mangoes – Mmmmm! :)