Best Automatic Sprouter??

grassdudegrassdude Raw Newbie

I am looking into getting an automatic sprouter. I sprout a lot of different seeds so I need something with large growing chambers that will hold a lot of stuff and a lot of variety. From what I’ve seen on the internet, they all look kind of small except maybe that gogreen contraption which the company claims is better than all the others. Any input is greatly appreciated

Comments

• I don’t think that any currently available will do all sprouts effectively. Its like juicers that claim that they can juice, chop, blender, etc. Then simply can’t do everything. Different seeds for sprouting need different sprouting conditions. The main 2 automatic sprouters that I know are the freshlife and easygreen.

I consider the Easygreen very good for baby greens like broccoli, mustard, kale, wheatgrass etc. The misting cycle is great for growing the greens. You can do them in soil if you like or even add a kelp solution for extra nutrients. It has the advantage that you can add a new tray daily and have a continuous supply of sprouts. It has a water reservoir that you need to keep full and it has a drain tube for the rinse water. It sells for close to $200. 3 units can be stacked and conected to a continous water intake for larger production. Its quite large for a kitchen counter.

In my opinion the Freshlife is very good for mung bean sprouts because it is tall and weight can be place over the sprouts to help them grow fatter. Its also good for alfalfa, clover etc. It also has a water reservoir but it recycles its water (no drain tube) so its needs to have its water changed at least daily. Its sprinkles the seeds rather than misting them. It sells for about $99 and an extra barrel can be added for abot $25. Its smaller but is tall. Quite tall when an extra barrel is added.

Neither is perfect but both are good in my opinion. One just needs to assess his/her needs and chose the most appropriate based on that.

I don’t know about the gogreen?

• grassdudegrassdude Raw Newbie

Thanks for the reply, Sounds like you are into it. With all the latest and greatest “superfoods” being marketed, wheatgrass, sprouts and juices are still the best in my opinion. If you google “sprouters” you will get results for Gogreen. They sell the plans to make one yourself or you can buy it from them already built for $300. I will still grow my wheatgrass in soil. I a nice operation on the side of my porch with 5 tier shelf units from home depot. I can fit about 15 trays on it. I keep a garbage can filled with soil and I always start extra seeds and keep them in the refrigerator. This cuts down a lot on the rinsing and soaking. I have never had any luck with mung beans probably because I didn’t put weight on them. I would really like to automate all the other sprouting, I’m spending too much time on it. I sprout grains to make doughs for dehydrated breads, pizza crusts and other creations. Also alfalfa/broccoli/radish mix, sunflower greens and buckwheat greens. I am currently using the handy pantry sprouter and sprout bags. I have figured out ways to cut down a lot on the time spent, but would really like to go automatic on a lot of it. Thanks again, Rich aka grassdude

• I really prefer soil grown wheatgrss as you seem too also. Intensive sprouting can be time comsuming. I really appreciate it during the winter season. It beats store bought produce which is days if not weeks old.

I start to sprout less this time of the year as my garden starts to provide fresh lettuce and greens.

Thanks for Gogreen info. I’ll check it out.

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

Just buy the biggest strainers/sieves/colanders you can buy. You are right, the ‘sprouters’ are too small. Mesh bags are great as well, the more the merrier!