Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

AH! BREAD!

BeTheChangeBeTheChange Raw Newbie

Ah!!! I totally had 2 bagels AND 2 slices of bread today. They were both vegan of course, but definately NOT raw!!! AH!!! Ok, that is all. I just had to get that out of my system.

What was fascinating was how it just didn’t fill me up. I could have kept eating it. It is just SO nutrient deficient that no WONDER we overeat when we eat processed foodstuffs…we are just subconsciously trying and trying to get some sort of nutrition from it, so we keep eating more and more! AND when I got home, i was so thrilled to have a salad. OH MAN that salad was SO GOOD!

Just a bump in the road, but I needed to throw this experience out there…has anyone else done something like this recently? Been tempted to? What did you eat and why? What did you find happened to you physically?

Comments

• Ha Ha. Last night, WHILE I was looking at some recipes on this website, I ate frozen store-bought key lime pie – right out of the container. I ain’t gonna lie, it was yummy. Not as good as the raw version though. I went to bed, and for about 2 hours, my stomach made bizarre and obnoxious noises digesting it – who knows what my husband was thinking. It sounded like something alive was going to come out of me. It didn’t hurt or anything, just funny and I didn’t fall asleep for hours. Bethechange: It wouldn’t have been so bad if the bagels were made from sprouted grains. hee hee.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I was so weak & tired when I got out of the hospital a week and a half ago, that I bought Manna bread because I didn’t feel up to making ANYTHING! I ate a little bit of it (along with salads, fruit, veggies, etc.) for a couple of days and then decided that maybe I could add in other cooked grain foods. So I ate a big bowl of air-popped popcorn with olive oil and sea salt. I got really bloated/stinky farts and didn’t feel good the rest of that day and into the next. So I waited a couple of days and ate some whole grain waffles with coconut oil & sea salt. Not bad like when I ate the popcorn, so I kept eating them for a couple of days. Then I decided I could eat some blue corn tortilla chips with black beans, fresh salsa, avocados & chunks of steak – started feeling heavier. That night for dinner, I had a whole steak, and then another batch of the chips & stuff the next morning, & I was sick of cooked food & went shopping for fresh fruit to cleanse! No more chips or beans or meat or waffles, and I didn’t eat any Manna bread for a couple of days. Now, I am back to Manna bread, but not all the time or every day, since I have made a few raw dishes that are filling and nutritious, and I have been eating a lot of fruit, still. I ate another steak last night, and baked potato, and I ate pineapple. Part of my problem right now is money. I have $22 and not much fresh produce left, to last 3 weeks – like I’m not going to eat a baked potato & good quality meat when it’s offered and cooked for me? Well, especially since I don’t have all my strength back yet… Anyway, the potato wasn’t bad, but the steak left me feeling heavy and wanting fruit again, of course! I have someone who owes me money, but no clue when/if that will show up cuz of who it is…

• Working in a kitchen and being hungry is the worst. I just recently statrted to eat raw, so for the first week i was so tempted to eat everything in our kitchen, but my self discipline was on point. I really miss korean bbq…..

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

I ate some scones :(. I couldn’t resist! George makes really good (wholemeal/whole grain) scones, and he invited me over for tea one afternoon. Oh my! Ah I loved it. I felt guilty, but I didn’t feel physically bad at all. He used Rye and Oatmeal, not wheat, though. I did end up pigging out, not because I couldn’t feel satisfied, but because I have been resisting so long and it just felt good to break down and have some. I just put raw honey on it, and he didn’t use butter or any of that in the making. SO I don’t feel guilty..I did, but looking back, I don’t. Especially if a vegan scone and black tea once in a great while is as bad as it gets. I do know that nothing is worth eating if it doesn’t contribute to your health, but I’m still in the deciding process on wether or not to have a scone with George every month or two. Things that make me that intensely happy (mainly for sentimental reasons), don’t seem like they could affect me all that badly. Whatever small harm it has done, I think my positivity undoes, along with an extra green drink. Maybe I am making excuses. I like it. :( lol

My other thing with this naughtiness is that I think people won’t take my rawness as seriously If I don’t. They might say “Oh but you ate a scone on this day”. I don’t want to have to say, “Yeah I compromise grain once every couple of months”. Should I compromise my health at all? Is it? I wish there was a scale of how good or bad this or that can be on your body. So far the things that people say about grain mainly apply to stripped white products, high gluten grains, or those including sugars etc. Someone give me more information! If this is bad I NEED to hear every good reason why. I may not end up having them again, but just incase I talk myself into it or try to, I need to remind myself. Not to mention like Angie said…Money. A week? (when was it???) or so ago, I was running REALLLLLY low on money and was tempted to just buy a bag of beans (78 cents a bag and 16 servings. That was tempting) and flour (3$ and I fogret how many servings), but I didn’t. I at least have yard greens, so there isn’t any excuse. Except if my roommates forget and decides to mow the part of the yard I keep telling them I eat off of! haha. Um anyway, yes AHHH!!! bread!

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

have_mersey – I use the alkaline/acid scale when decided how much to compromise when eating something cooked (fruit dried at high temps, for example). I try to have an alkaline/acid balance, but that for me means eating mostly alkaline food and only occasionally acidic food (like wine). See the Food Chart

EXTREMELY ACIDIC Artificial Sweeteners, Beef, Beer, Breads, Brown Sugar, Carbonated Soft Drinks, Cereals (refined), Chocolate, Cigarettes and Tobacco, Coffee, Cream of Wheat (unrefined), Custard (with white sugar), Deer, Drugs, Fish, Flour (white wheat), Fruit Juices with Sugar, Jams, Jellies, Lamb, Liquor, Maple Syrup (processed), Molasses (sulphured), Pasta (white), Pastries and Cakes from White Flour, Pickles (commercial), Pork, Poultry, Seafood, Sugar (white), Table Salt (refined and iodized), Tea (black), White Bread, White Vinegar (processed), Whole Wheat Foods, Wine, Yogurt (sweetened)

• I wouldn’t feel too awful, I fell so hard yesterday I’m surprised I didn’t hit china. I had a tummy bug and wasn’t up for anything for like 3 days, so three days of fasting, barfing and pooing later, I had some ezechial bread, it was yummy! Then, it was a date night for me and hubby, he bought scallops and filet mignon and I couldn’t resist. Then YESTERDAY, I ate shrimp and pasta salad, boston baked beans, coleslaw (I guess that was raw) and made double chocolate caramel brownies and ate 3 of those. Ok, so there wasn’t any fun that night due to horrible gas, and today, I have paid dearly. Oh well, back on my little raw wagon this morning. Had to take it easy so I went with a Kombucha, then a banana, then some watermelon. I’m feeling the fall lol.

have_mersey – That’s interesting about how you felt after eating the scones. I keep feeling that I really need grains, but I don’t know how to use them raw very much, which is why I bought the Manna bread. I got to go buy food, cuz my mom saw how yucky I felt after eating the meat, and she bought me a bunch of food. I was so happy I almost cried, and after a day of eating raw again, I am starting to feel better.

As for people taking your eating raw seriously, what people need to respect/ take seriously is each person’s right & responsibility to make choices. If someone says but you ate such & such, you can explain how you felt after eating it, if you want to, or you can just say Yes, I did, or whatever you want. It is none of their business, just like it is none of any raw food eater’s business if you choose to eat cooked food and not feel bad about it. :)

• KhaasLadkiKhaasLadki Raw Newbie

I was preparing my snack last night (apples and homemade peanut butter), and I saw the other peanut butter in the fridge next to mine (it’s still all natural, but it’s roasted/salted), and thought “mmm I haven’t had any of that in a while, I’m just going to take a little bite”, so I reached a spoon down in there expecting this wonderful, creamy, yumminess, but instead I was repulsed by the taste of… burnt peanuts? Haha – so apparently I don’t like roasted pb anymore! It really does taste burnt after having just fresh for so long! Pretty crazy.

• BeTheChangeBeTheChange Raw Newbie

I know what you mean, Khaas! FOr as long as I can remember, I’ve been going through a jar a week of peanut butter (especially when I was dirtpoor in the first two years of college and it was the basis of my diet…) But when I eat raw, I hardly crave it, and if I do, I realize it is that roasted flavor I want, not the fats or protein. HOWEVER, I was walking down the aisle of the grovery store and did not even want it, and when I tried a bit the other day, it just tasted so…DEAD! It’s so funny, peanut butter treats have actually always been a passion of mine while pursuing cooking and baking, so now I have to find alternatives…I will definately post them once I start experimenting!

Speaking of which, how are you making your own peanut butter? Any helpful hints? I wonder what it would taste like with a bit of cocoa and/or cinnamon and nutmeg and a hint of vanilla? hmm.

• RawKRawK Raw Newbie

Joshie—korean bbq (bulgogi) is the best! i also work in a kitchen with tons of cooked foods, so i hear you. btw, you don’t happen to have a nice kimchi recipe without fish sauce do you?

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I don’t “cheat” any more but I did lots during my transition. It really helped me realise the difference between cooked and raw. And work out what I used food for.

I just wanted to reassure people that even if you “cheat” a lot if you eat raw the rest of the time the cheating will eventually stop.

It has for me. I used to “cheat” to dampen my emotions, supress them,stuff them down, happy and sad emotions, just any old emotion. Now even when I have a huge issue in my life, or a huge success, I don’t get the urge to cheat…I do yoga and drink green juice instead haha! I can’t believe I am like this now but it is true :)

If I craved something cooked for longer than 6 hours I would have it. But ate 100% raw the rest of the time. I think that is a good strategy. Worked for me and Chris my husband.

• KhaasLadkiKhaasLadki Raw Newbie
    • sheepish grin * I don’t make mine at my house – lol. I go and have it freshly made – just ground up peanuts! I refer to it as ‘homemade’ because even natural peanut butters are roasted so when I say just “peanut butter” it doesn’t sound like it’s REAL pb.

BUT - A while back I used this recipe, but I haven’t tried it without roasting the nuts yet (although since as I stated I don’t like roasted pb, I’m sure it’ll be fine without!) Also, there’s a recipe for cashew butter here, but I haven’t made that one yet because I like to eat my cashews too much! Also that one has roasted nuts, too, but I just ignore that part of nut recipes. And I would probably make mine without the salt and honey, as well, since that’s how I like my nut butters now! lol. Ooh cinnamon in peanut butter! Wow – that’s brilliant! Haha I love cinnamon.

RawK! I just learned how to make kimchee last week! I don’t have the recipe with me on hand right now, but a fantastic book to invest in if you want to get into fermenting foods is this: http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Fermentation-Flavor-...=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212070555&sr=1-5 It’s called WILD FERMENTATION: THE FLAVOR, NUTRITION, AND CRAFT of LIVE-CULTURE FOOD It is splllllendid! It explains everything down to the littlest probiotic detail, and has endless recipes for the traditional kimchee and sauerkraut etc, but also for things like salted plums and other interesting fruit ideas I had never heard of. Lots of ginger is great in kimchee, btw. Tell me if you get it!

• Eat a lot more fruit and you won’t crave cooked carbs and grains as much. You probably were craving carbs.

Blessings,

Audrey www.rawhealing.com

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Khaas Ladki – Haha! Your PB story is so funny – that sounds like me. “Hmm, look at that sitting there and not being eaten by me for a long time – I think I will take a little tasty tasty” :)

Your story now reminds of what I just forgot to do at WF today – check the bulk area for raw peanuts and make my own – darn!. Instead I got some of the roasted organic at that PB grinding station. :) I haven’t bought any for a while too. Well, at leat I got the tiny container this time instead of the gigiantic one like I ususally do! :)

Maybe I can have WF put up a sign for just for me – “Kimberly don’t get this – go and check the bulk bin for raw peanuts!” ha ha!

I also got some of my sprouted healthy bread and it is right across from the fresh sourdough stuff I really like – I looked at that stuff that I normally would salivate over and I thought “That stuff doesn’t look that great to me right now” – which was good! I still hurried my butt out that section so I didn’t gloss over it – good thing they weren’t baking any bread – that smell would make me cave! :)

Zoe – I am noticing too that it is so much easier to avoid the “cheat” the more raw I eat – I am noticing that I even eat LESS too. I am getting raw products that will HELP with my emotions rather than eating cooked stuff to comfort them. Alot of time I will have a craving for cooked stuff for like “events” (if that makes since) – like its Friday night and a good movie I like is on and I am going to watch it – well, I want some nice healthy popcorn (or “poppy” corn as I call it). I guess that falls under the “emotional” eating too. Although, also think my body is becoming more sensitive to cooked things – like soy – I am becoming sensitive too and now I avoid it – I used to eat tons of it. So if being raw creates a body more sensitive to cooked foods than that alone is helping me stay away for the cooked stuff!

I agree with Angie too though – it is really up the the person. I don’t feel guilty if I eat cooked stuff – I guess I look at it as sort of a “break” in a way from my raw food- I mean, compared to most of the people in the world I eat super healthly the majority of the time so I eat so I am not going to feel guilty about a couple of cooked things. It’s not like I am sneaking to McDonalds at midnight!

I was refferring to non raw people not taking it seriously. I want everyone around me to be as happy and healthy as I am, so when they do ask I tell them, and it would definitely seem hypocritical to gnaw on a scone and say, “oh yes, cooked food is very bad because…”.

I have been considering having my beloved bread every now and then, but I feel silly letting sentiment rule me. I do like the taste, but it’s mainly the memories and feelings brought about by it and the texture, etc. I suppose I need to do my research and remind myself of the bad things about baked… I’ve never enjoyed change when it comes to things I have a deep attatchment to(I rarely throw things out, no matter how useless if I have good memories with it). 99% of this is that in the back of my mind, I don’t want to give them up. It feels like giving up the memories with it. In a way it is. Although I can pass the same things over in my mind, they aren’t as realistic and detailed without the props. I know I am ridiculous. You’d think principle alone would stop me. Maybe the feeling will pass, I think the stars are affecting me especially lately..

the social aspect is the hardest for me. i’ll be visiting family soon, and i don’t want my grandma to be offended that i don’t eat the food she makes (it’s actually a relief because i never liked her food anyway lol!!!)

i haven’t been cheating much, i do eat a few things from the dead food list but only a few bites – and it’s because i haven’t been able to buy organic grapes or cranberries to dry my own fruit, and because the store was out of truly raw cashews the other day (today i found some, yay!). salad dressings are another one i should avoid – i need to start bringing my own to restaurants. the more i plan ahead, the less likely these setbacks will be. HOWEVER - i’m staying raw only because i spend exorbitant amounts on food and eating at a raw restaurant. i wish i could bring expenses more under control! but on the other hand, i was really sick before i went raw… and i spent a lot on food then anyway, so i guess it’s not a huge difference… i bet the difference in price is partly cause i’m eating organic. but ITS WORTH IT. i feel SO much better! my poor tummy was in bad shape for years.

• RawKRawK Raw Newbie

Hey Change—Thanks for the tip…I’ve actually had that book in my possession before. A coworker had it and lent it to me. I used it to make some homemade sauerkraut. I also learned about Rejevelac and made a batch of that also. I still make that from time to time. Anyway, we have this great kimchi from a local vendor and I really want to try and replicate it. First, I will call them and see if they’d be nice enough to part with their recipe. If so, you’ll be the first to have it.

have_mersey – I guess I knew what you meant. I didn’t think of it that way because I never tell people that cooked food is bad, so we just have a different approach. Thanks for your post :) I have definitely “been there, done that” with not wanting to let go. Actually, I think I’ve been there again now! I have been eating high raw for 3 years next month, but I’ve never been vegan. Lately the feeling to let go of my occasional all-natural meat and raw goat cheese has been growing, and I’ve felt really good just loading up on fruit, greens, etc. & looking for cheese replacements. But today I went to the health food store, and when I walked past the shelf where they stock the raw goat cheese, I almost bought some out of habit, I guess, cuz I didn’t need the phosphorous from it any more like I did after being hospitalized a couple of weeks ago. (Thank goodness they were out!) Anyway, I loaded up on avocados, salad greens, dates, celery… When I got home, I ate a banana, and then later a massive salad and then avocado chocolate pudding after that! Yum! And I didn’t think about cheese all evening :)

yay, cheese free day! fantastic! perhaps some foods are a good replacement. i dont know what satisfies cheese cravings, but it sounds like you found it!

audrey thanks for mentioning fruit curing bread cravings. i’ve never liked breads/wheats/carbs but when i need something filling, and feel like something is missing, i know fruit will do the trick!

i’m romancing nuts right now. and flax crackers. i guess there are worse addictions. it’s funny cause i never eat nuts alone – i limit myself to using them in recipes in sm. amounts. but flax – man i could eat flax crackers all day!

in reflection… i went vegetarian at a young age, cut out most dairy at 15 as well, so i was mostly vegan for 8 years. i consumed very little wheat for the last 5 years. the past 3 years i’ve eaten whole foods and many raw meals. and all this time, i had NO IDEA what i was doing!!! my body just kept saying no to the bad food… all of this was instinctive. for years i kept wishing there were more and more veggies under the marinara when i was out at social events, so i started only eating at home so i could make steamed veggies with marinara and no pasta. when i found raw i sort of knew it was the answer… look at where i’ve been, that’s exactly what my body is begging for – raw food nutrient dense goodness!

I used to crave the cheese only when I needed what was in it nutritionally – I’m so glad to be aware of more foods now for that, but yesterday it was habit. My phosphorous levels were super-low from being sick, and the raw goat cheese has a lot of phosphorous. I really wanted nut things more, but when I was first out of the hospital I had no energy & I can’t eat nuts plain very often, so I was craving the cheese because of the phosphorous, I guess, and I got in the habit of eating some almost every day there for a week or two. I just found out that corn is a good source of phosphorous, too, so I’m going to make corn chips with fresh corn & flax, so that I won’t be left to eating cheese if I ever don’t feel good enough to make my own nutmilk, pies, etc. from nuts. I love being able to learn & plan ahead so I can be healthy & happy. I think my 3 year plus transition period could have been quicker if I had more information, money & kitchen equipment from the beginning, but I’m just grateful for how I’ve been able to learn so much through the whole process, and I’m loving it! I don’t know if I would have been able to embrace & appreciate everything any faster than I did, but I’m sure happy to be feeling myself moving toward better & better things now. Life is joyful & easy! :)

I suppose I didn’t realise my sentimentality towards food until I gave in with that. Maybe I did, but not to the full extent. So I’ve been thinking alot about that lately. Part of it is that I’m several thousand miles from one of the people I care about most, and tea was something we never missed no matter how busy, to talk or just BE. Even if we had to make it a quick brunch or at nearly midnight, we always made time for it. I guess I miss them more than I realise sometimes. I don’t like admitting that in my mind, and doubly outloud/in public. But maybe I needed to to get over this. I sound silly.

And It’s good to know about corn being a source of phosphorous. I have suspected I might be, or might have been low in it.

can you fill me in about phosphorous? I don’t know anything about it…

1.”WHY DO WE NEED PHOSPHOROUS?

Phosphorous, a mineral, helps build strong bones and teeth. Phosphorous is also involved in the release of energy from fat, protein, and carbohydrates during metabolism, and in the formation of genetic material, cell membranes, and many enzymes.

HOW TO PREPARE FOODS TO RETAIN PHOSPHOROUS

Phosphorous is lost in cooking some foods even under the best conditions. To retain phosphorous:

Cook foods in a minimal amount of water. Cook for the shortest possible time. Roast or broil lamb, veal, pork, and poultry. Beef keeps the same amount of phosphorous regardless of cooking method.) “

2.”Phosphorus is a nonmetallic chemical element essential to metabolize protein, calcium, and glucose (sugar). It is needed for bone and tooth formation (85% of phosphorus is found in the skeletal system), cell growth (and production of DNA/RNA), heart muscle contraction, and kidney function (waste filtration). Plus phosphorus helps the body to utilize vitamins, assists other body functions to convert food into energy, and maintains the blood’s pH (acidity).

Although phosphorus is found abundantly in food sources, deficiencies can occur. Symptoms of phosphorus deficiency include weight loss, anemia, bone pain, fatigue, irritability, skin sensitivity, irregular breathing, and abnormal growth. Caffeine, magnesium, iron, and antacids containing aluminum can contribute to a phosphorus deficiency.”

3.”. Phosphorous helps filter out waste in the kidneys and contributes to energy production in the body by participating in the breakdown of carbohydrates, protein, and fats. It also helps reduce muscle pain after a hard workout. Phosphorus is needed for the growth, maintenance, and repair of all tissues and cells, and for the production of the genetic building blocks, DNA and RNA. Phosphorus is also needed to balance and metabolize other vitamins and minerals, including vitamin D, calcium, iodine, magnesium, and zinc. “

And of course, as always, Everything in moderation. I happen to be low in it, but it can do damage and take away from the vitamins it helps if you get too much. But I think most of the problem is not really about getting over __ amount, but balancing it with other nutrients.

Nuts & seeds are good sources of phosphorous. Calcium & phosphorous have to be balanced. Too much of either one will cause the other to be leached from the bones & cause osteoporosis, so people who take lots of calcium supplements can sometimes be low in phosphorous, too. (from www.nutritiondata.com – not quoted, but the basic idea)