Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw Corn - any good for you?

MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

I’ve been eating the hell out of some raw corn lately. Nothing I like better lately then husking some corn and munching on it. It tastes SOOO GOOD when it’s raw.

It’s also technically a fruit, which appeals to me.

But is it any good for you? I’m really curious.

Comments

• KevlarKevlar Raw Newbie

I hope it is, because I love raw corn too. :P I didn’t even know you could eat corn raw until I became a raw vegan. Now it’s one of my favorite foods.

60% of corn crops in the US are genetically engineered though, so that’s the main thing I’d be concerned about.

http://www.seedsofdeception.com/Public/BuyingNo…

If you buy corn, buy organic.

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

I like to leave it in the husk and put it in the dehydrator for a few hours. It is better than cooked that way. I have read differing opinions on corn. There is a concern with fungal contamination and therefore mycotoxin issues.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

MMMM Corn ROCKS. I am just staring at the Corn Chowder recipe in Get Fresh. Mmmmm Can’t wait till fresh corn is in season. Also, Shazzie makes “Purple Corn and Apricot Crumbly Chocolate” for her 4 year old daughter who is raw vegan. It uses purple corn flour.

Even though corn is genetically modified, I don’t really care since I don’t eat it all day. Actually I haven’t eaten it in a while. I need to get some corn.

• KrystaleKrystale Raw Newbie

I love raw corn, and I’ve been known to fold and eat the grocery store corn, but I’m trying not to. Here in VT the corn crops are incredible and I’m looking forward to trying local organic corn raw. Unfortunatly even up here most corn is GM. I really don’t want to eat it, I don’t need to be roundup ready or exude my own pestacides. As for it’s nutrition: http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c20…

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

Raw corn is soooooo yum! It is juicy and sweet and flavourful. I hope it is healthy to eat it raw!!:} I can’t wait untill the little farms around here start selling corn on the sides or the rural roads!! YUM!!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

YUM!!!!!! Enough said :)

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

So I had to google your comment about “technically it is a fruit”, and the first thing it came up with was “corn… is a fruit… popularly known as a grain”. and then another saying it’s a “vegetable, fruit, and grain”. So, what is it botanically? A fruit! Cool. I like to know these kinds of things.