Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

need vit. D and B

Does anyone have a list of raw foods that are a good source of vit. D and/or B? Thanks.

Comments

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Klamath Lake Wild Blue Green Algae for Vit A and nutritional yeast for Vit B.

• suzyqsuzyq Raw Newbie

Hey gorawmom—here’s some info on vitamin D from http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamind.asp To summarize, we get vitamin D from the sun or from supplements, not really from food As far as B vitamins, there are a bunch of them—as long as you’re eating enough calories and a variety of foods, you’re almost certainly getting all the B vitamins you need except possibly B12…

Now the vit. D stuff:

Very few foods in nature contain vitamin D. The flesh of fish (such as salmon, tuna, and mackerel) and fish liver oils are among the best sources [5]. Small amounts of vitamin D are found in beef liver, cheese, and egg yolks. Vitamin D in these foods is primarily in the form of vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) and its metabolite 25(OH)D3 [19]. Some mushrooms provide vitamin D2 (ergocalciferol) in variable amounts [20-22].

Fortified foods provide most of the vitamin D in the American diet

Most people meet their vitamin D needs through exposure to sunlight [6,27]. Ultraviolet (UV) B radiation with a wavelength of 290-315 nanometers penetrates uncovered skin and converts cutaneous 7-dehydrocholesterol to previtamin D3, which in turn becomes vitamin D3 [11,27-28]. Season, geographic latitude, time of day, cloud cover, smog, skin melanin content, and sunscreen are among the factors that affect UV radiation exposure and vitamin D synthesis [28]. The UV energy above 42 degrees north latitude (a line approximately between the northern border of California and Boston) is insufficient for cutaneous vitamin D synthesis from November through February [6]; in far northern latitudes, this reduced intensity lasts for up to 6 months. Latitudes below 34 degrees north (a line between Los Angeles and Columbia, South Carolina) allow for cutaneous production of vitamin D throughout the year [14]

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

From my Nutrition Seminar workbook (CNHP): There is a section listing about 6 foods high in nutrients for each vitamin and mineral. Here are some:

Vitamin D from sunflower seeds. And, also in these herbs: alfalfa, bee pollen, fenugreek, red raspberry, papaya.

Vitamin B1 in sunflower seeds, whole grains, nuts, green leafy vegs

B2 in green leafy vegs

B3 in nuts and whole grains

B5 in broccoli, cabbage, corn, peas

B6 in seeds, beets, nuts, cabbage, green leafy vegs

B9 in avocados, fruits, sprouted grains, green leafy vegs

B12 in wheat germ

PABA (B complex) in whole grains, nuts, fruit

I say, just eat alfalfa sprouts. They have a variety of vitamins & minerals… it has no iron, though.

• Thank you! This has helped me to feel more at ease about these vitamins! germin8-I read that Alfalfa sprouts can cause joint pain. Do you know if this claim is founded?

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

I haven’t heard of it before… but I did google it and found what you said. The pain is caused by the amino acid 1-canavanine… which means nothing to me (i.e. don’t know what it is/does)

Well, like all greens and sprouts, you should not eat it continuously for 3 months because the minute toxins in those foods will build up in your body and cause a negative reaction… something I learned recently from a raw food lecture.

• worleyhimself2worleyhimself2 Raw Newbie

vtamin D- the sun. with as much skin exposed as possible with no sunscreen, make up. a hint of red in the skin means your good no more then a slight hint.

vitamin B- bee pollen, algae

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

suzyq – thanks for all the info.! I knew we didn’t get enough sun in the winter, but it’s good to know it’s only November through February. I do pretty well if I’m in the sun plenty during the summer & eat lots of sunflower seeds during the winter, but I have a vit. D supplement around, too, just for when I can’t don’t have enough of those opportunities, or if I’m tired of sunflower seeds, heehee :)

• We are above the line. We are in growing zone 5. This last winter was overcast most of the time, and cold. However, some winter days, are nice and sunny. I wonder if you can get a good dose of vit. D on those days. Any way, I know that vit. B is very calming to the nerves. We have some nerve problems in our family, and so I was looking for a good source that would be more of a normal/local food than say algea, or bee pollen. If bee pollen is a source of B, then I wonder if flowers would be a good source? I have been looking at nutritiondata.com and it does give data for raw food, however, it does not have nutrition info for flowers, macca, and mulberry leaves, or the like. I am glad to hear that cabbage has B6. In the olden days people would eat a lot of cabbage in the winter time. They would make sour kraut with vinegar, or some such thing, to make it keep through the winter. I suppose the kraut would be raw.

• SuzicalSuzical Raw Newbie

gorawmom – to soothe nerves and feel calm, connected and centered, there is nothing better than a daily dose of spirulina and/or chlorella. You can buy it in tablet form (if not fond of taste) or powdered form (to add to smoothies) – it is cost-effective and truly a gift from the Heavens and should be in every pantry. Best – Susie