Food Combining Debate

I need to get to the bottom of the food combining debate. I understand that there are rules when it comes to food combining. For example, melons should be eaten alone; protein should not be mixed with starch; acid fruits (pineapple, oranges) should not be mixed with sweet fruits (bananas, grapes).

So my question is regarding green smoothies. I’ve come across a variety of recipes online and in books that call for Kale greens and bananas as a sweetener. However, I’ve been told that mixing vegetables with fruit is a no-no.

Can you help me resolve this once and for all? If you have sources that’s even better.

Thanks in advance! Matanah

Comments

• Hi there,

It doesn’t have to be complicated. The only things that I concern myself with is not mixing fruit and fat too often and I always eat melons alone.

Greens mix well with fruit.

Blessings,

Audrey

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

In “Hooked on Raw” Rhio says that the fruit/veggie combo is OK if the veggies & fruits are blended together in a dish, but not to eat fruit just after a meal of other foods. I apparently do it all “wrong” – I love pineapple or oranges with banana, fruit & nuts together, etc. – I’ve healed my thyroid, lowered my cholesterol, stabilized my weight, and decreased my insulin needs by about 67%, regained my energy, beaten depression without medication & done away with chronic constipation eating this way – so I don’t know if there is really only one “right” way to combine – I try to listen to/read all the information & viewpoints and then use/do what feels right for my body. I may eventually come to all those “rules,” but if I do, it will happen naturally, like all my other steps have, without having to figure it all out at once & force something that doesn’t appeal to me now.

• I am aware of the food combining thing and just try to be a little mindful of it. I don

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

all the sources i’ve referred to (about this very same concern) say combining leafy greens with fruit is perfectly fine. if its any consolation, monkeys do it. (wrap banana or mango in leaves and eat!)