Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

the brand new, all glittering 80/10/10 - 30 day challenge

Comments

• nycgrrl….if you keep in mind to get close, i’m sure everything will be fine…remember, we’re taking an average over a week for 10% fat….so, yes…maybe some days you’ll have more…maybe somedays – less…..what we’re trying to avoid is eating huge amounts from fat…it’s one of the major parts of this style….i’m sure you ( and all of the rest of us) will be fine

glad thst you agreed to join in

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

EL-BO You have even convinced me the eternal 811 skeptic to take another look at this eating plan. I think the only thing that has me nervous is the ‘all things in balance’ dillema. I tend towards extremes in all things and eating exclusively fruits with the exclusion of other healthy abundant foods makes me cautious that I may be repeating the same old pathology over again.

• nycgrrlnycgrrl Raw Newbie

marichiesa i don’t think he advocates eating “all fruit”. My understanding is that greens play a major role, as do other vegetables. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

• Marichiesa…..hi….the 811 always seems to be about the fruit…though it’s true that the diet consists mainly of fruit, dr d actually recommends eating a large amount of greens (probably more than other raw food authors)...he normally says to aim for 1 head of romaine per day (500g)...that’s a lot of lettuce…the non-sweet fuits/vegs like cucumber. bell peppers, tomatoes are also recommended…celery too (ugh, i hate celery )

you can also use other vegs, remembering though, that often the more starchy and cruciferous vegs can present digestion difficulties….the cellulose is hard for us to break down….blending helps here if you wish to consume these type of things…...if you do blend, be careful to chew your smoothie well…digestion starts in the mouth and it’s very tempting when something is liquid to just knock it back

i love raw cabbage…so peppery…no need for other condiments….since i don’t have a blender, i have to pay extra attention to chew thoroughly….really looking forward to lettuce, cabbage and mango salad…mmmmm

“all things in balance”...just a personal thing, but i hate sayings like that (no offence intended)...especially in food…it always brings to mind the (erroneous) food pyramid…and ’ a liitle of what you love won’t kill ya’....if i had a choice , my life would be unbalanced in favour of good, with just a sprinkle of bad, lest i forget how good the ‘good’ actually is

in terms of balance, the amount of fruit imbalances the greens and nuts, but maybe concentrate on whether these foods are providing balanced nutrition

just a thought…...hope you join us

and check out the first post for some great links…the audio interview with doug is nice, and steve pavlinas 30 day trial is an interesting read….

question: how are you getting your protein? every time i try to add protein, i find that my fat percentage jumps WAY up. Thanks.

• nycgrrl….the beuty of raw, in general, and a very big reason for controversy surrounding raw diets is the protein issue….actually, more of a myth than an issue…’lie’ would probably be more accurate….a lie that keeps us buying into the idea of meat and dairy as a necessity for our diet

actually it brings about another myth…nuts and seeds are high protein….that’s as maybe, but as you are discovering, nuts and seeds are mainly fat

try this for starters

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2005/09/the-gr…

if you eat sufficient calories on any raw diet that includes fruit and veg, you will not have to worry about protein….811 helps to keep levels low….too much protein, as with too much fat can have negative consequences for health…the state of the famed ‘atkins’ health when he died is no advertisement for his high protein diet

• nycgrrl….the beuty of raw, in general, and a very big reason for controversy surrounding raw diets is the protein issue….actually, more of a myth than an issue…’lie’ would probably be more accurate….a lie that keeps us buying into the idea of meat and dairy as a necessity for our diet

actually it brings about another myth…nuts and seeds are high protein….that’s as maybe, but as you are discovering, nuts and seeds are mainly fat

try this for starters

if you eat sufficient calories on any raw diet that includes fruit and veg, you will not have to worry about protein….811 helps to keep levels low….too much protein, as with too much fat can have negative consequences for health…the state of the famed ‘atkins’ health when he died is no advertisement for his high protein diet

try this for starters

try this for starters

• beyond a joke

Thanks El-bo. I knew that—I’ve studied nutrition and veganism for many years—it just seemed even to get my 10% that it would be tough. We shall see.

I added a sub-blog to my main blog, where I will document my experience with 811 this month. visit if you like! http://hillaryheidelberg.typepad.com/doing_the_…

• if you eat the amount of calories that 811 asks of you, i don’t think you need worry…we’ll keep a close eye over the trial

can i link to your blog ????

sure thing, el-bo. I will be one of those people who pledge to “do their best”....as you can see from my first entry, I already plan on “cheating” LOL….

• you’re gonna find me really annoying, but i’m pretty sure there is no such thing as ‘raw’ cacao….it took 2 years for those in the raw food circle who sell it to admit to this…if you’ve found a ‘TRULY’ raw source, let chris carlton and zoe know…they are looking for a true raw cacao source so as to wipe it from their dead foods list

and don’t think i’m nagging , but the stuff is way toxic

you are your own master….cacao is probably gonna be the thing that quits you before you have a chance to give it up…after you clean out on 100% good stuff, your body will become more sensitive to stuff like this…..

maybe it’s worth including it as the litmus test for how you’re progressing

anyways, no pressure….

if you want some anti cacao propaganda, i’m sure i saw some the other day on some site or other

I know that it’s not raw…but 1 tsp of that every day is WAY better than the 5 cups of coffee I was drinking….it’s all a journey for me :) DH is using it to quit coffee, and I occasionally have a bit when I need a boost.

• cool :o)

is your hubby joining us also ????

HA! Actually, he will eat whatever I make, so for breakfast and dinner, my guess is he’s on board (I just won’t tell him, he’d hates to think he’s following a “diet” even one as healthful as raw.)

• it does make me laugh when i see david wolfe ‘bouncing off the walls’ on the stuff

reminds me of my ‘class A’ drug days….lol

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

I got hooked on cacao for two weeks because I had a crush on David Wolfe and thought what was good for him would be good for me. Nope! Cacao makes me feel pretty uncomfortable in my body and it is totally addicting for me. I quit a few days ago, cold turkey, and have a lot more energy now.

I got about 7 bunches of bananas for FREE today at work (Whole Foods) just because they were a little overripe to sell. But perfect for me! :-) I’ve been eating bananas all day, but I think I gotta have something different for dinner, because I’m starting to feel a tad bit constipated. Maybe apples for dinner…yummy!

I got all my groceries for the next few days…oranges, apples, bananas, watermelon, kiwi, celery and spinach.

cool moth! so today i thought i would try and be more ‘aware’ of the ratios i was eating, and even with trying I am at 25% fat. I did have 1/2 an avo and a 1/4 cup walnuts, and that put me over.

This is going to be a challenge for sure!!

• A few questions about foods I am not clear about. Are root vegetables considered to not be a part of the 811 diet? I love my carrots, but I could shelve it for a month to adhere more closely to this diet. The other question is nutmilks. They are lower in fat, but perhaps the rawness is questionable unless they come from nuts that are from reputable sources? My last question is raw corn. MOTH—you said the other day you never knew it could be eaten raw (me neither.) So, I take it it can be done? One last food—what is the stance on young coconut? Maybe I will find all these answers in the book, but not there yet.

Also, I am reading the 811 book and find it very interesting. While I find a lot of logic makes sense, I feel there are areas I am questioning about. I don’t want to start controversy on this thread, or any for that matter, but I wonder the best source to process some of this information I am getting?

Thanks! I am ready for tomorrow too. I have a big bunch of apriocots, cantelope, papaya, grapefruit, apples and tons of spinich. Tomorrow I will buy some romaine and butter lettuce that looks so good to me these days!

• root veggies aren’t considered ‘optimal’...carrots, i think, are very starchy…i’ll check…i’m sure after a while these things will become clearer…i’d say, eat the carrots, see how you go

try to avoid the nutmilks as much as possible…we’re trying to just get as close to the whole food as possible, so that the foods are complete in a way that will aid digestion….

remember after the 30 days you must decide based on your experience

young coconuts…are ok, i think…there is always the question of the treatments that they go through, and their fat levels put them in the ‘not so often’ category

good that you have the book…good that you are questioning it…i can’t answer your doubts…i don’t have enough experience, but you should use the link to the vegsource forum (in my first post)...i’m not avoiding it, but you’ll get a more qualified response there…direct the question (in the title) to dr.d , and he should answer your questions and doubts….from all of my forum interactions with him, he seems like a really nice guy….go ask

• and also….chicagomama…let us know the response…there is really nothing to hide….we seem to have a good little gang here ready to try it anyway….

if others here (who don’t have the book) wish to know what you are talking about, then by all means, share it

your doubts may be silenced by your own experience, or even confirmed….30 days may not be long enough to tell..who knows ??? ....we’ll see

I just found out that highvibe in the east village carries this book, so I don’t have to wait from Amazon. I will pick it up next week. DH went to the green market and got tons of greens and some apples and pears, I need to pick up more oranges, bananas and berries tomorrow.

• nycgrrl—just fyi, amazon delivered my book in 2 days…

el-bo, I will f/u. My question regards the foundation of his theory being based upon what we find in the wild and investigating eating habits of prior civilizations. This brings to mind the Inuit of the Arctic where there is virtually no fresh fruits/veggis and historically were one of the only cultures who thrived on an essentially 100% raw meat diet. So it makes me think—can I eat Sashimi? lol :) Just interested in this approach, I think his point goes back to when most humans lived in the tropics, obviously as humans moved away from there the abundance of fresh fruits and veggies diminished and other tactics had to be employed—thus animal meats and eventually cooked and stored food.

chicagomama—wow! really? I’ve waited over a week for things from them…hmm…I am surprised it’s not discounted at amazon, kwim? It seems all their books are usually discounted! THanks for the info!

• chicagomama….it would definately be worth putting that question to the folks at vegsource….i’s the kind of question that i’m sure is often raised…...

i’ve been having problems accessing the vegsource forum in the last few hours….give it a try tomorrow, maybe….i’d like to know the answer….remember you don’t need to register, just start a new topic…your email address is also optional and unnecessary

easy

let us know what is said

are you enjoying the book, aside from these mis-givings ????

• yes, and I don’t really have misgivings, per say. My DH is trying to encourage me to be more of a skeptic, so that is behind some of my questioning. Otherwise, I feel there is a lot of truth and logic to his points. Some chapters are almost too logical for me—heh—b/c my eyes start to glaze over with all of the scientific analysis of the proteins and glycemic (sp?) index, etc. But I skipped ahead to the recipes and they look yummy! I am not sure I am ready for mono-mealing. I will try it out though. I am having kinda a raw splurge tonight—bought some take out raw dinners and dessert from whole foods. However, reading the 811 book is really enlightening concerning the fat breakdowns! The Raw pie analysis to the SAD pie is really surprising! (the SRD yielded far more fat and calories than a SAD pie)

• Soooo who’s ready/excited for tomorrow?? I know I am :) Chicagomama (Im also from chicago..well suburbs) I had a little “feast” myself haha went kinda crazy on nuts-which I dedicated my whole blog post on. Anyway..GOOD LUCK! I’m definitely planning on doing this for more than 30 days but lets just take it day by day.

• I am very excited! And agree, NaturallyFruity, that it is best to take it day to day. I will be looking forwarding to getting feedback to what I sense will be challenges—social eating; visiting family, etc. How to explain something you know is the right thing for you when they all look at you as crazy eating “rabbit food” as all my co-workers tell me now…anyway, I am looking forward to scarfing some cantalope tomorrow :)