Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

the brand new, all glittering 80/10/10 - 30 day challenge

Comments

• nycgrrlnycgrrl Raw Newbie

Thanks for posting greg—i too am not a HUGE fan of bananas. I mean, I like them, but don’t see myself eating 10 a day. I like them in my smoothie, and love them with a bit of (non raw) maple syrup…yum.

I am trying to listen to my body today (well, every day, but particularly on this challenge) and right now I want a big romaine and tomato salad with a bit of olive oil…so that’s what I am having :)

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

Great day 1. I actually ate more calories than I wanted to because I have discovered FROZEN bananas! I really love those! LOL I tend to overeat on the weekends but I actually did way better than usual. I had a BD party with lots of my usual downfalls (cake and ice cream) and I didn’t even think twice about eating it. I’m usually like a heroine addict in DT’s with a syringe full in front of him…pitiful. I can’t even remember the last time I didn’t cave at a family event. So far my cravings have been nil and I have lots of energy. I ended up 15% fat yesterday due to a strawberry almond dressing. Day 2 is good so far. Blessings to all

• greg…good ta see ya…thought you weren’t gonna make it…

• So far today so good. It’s afternoon here, had my lunch, went out for a walk in the sun for a bit. And I’m feeling good. I think I can chalk today up to as “just coasting through”.

El-bo, thanks for posting about CRONoMeter!! I had been using a couple different online nutrition counters but having one actually as software for your computer is SO MUCH NICER! And much faster. I love all the graphs it gives you. I can print-out my menu for the day and show people all the nutrients I’m getting.

• yeah, CRONoMeter’s great…have a lot of ‘geeky’ fun fooling around with that

nycgrrl….there’s a guy over at ‘give it to me raw’ called cam….from his profile, i see he’s been doing this for 2 years…if you have questions, i’d be interested to hear his responses…keep us updated on any little bits of info/advice…if it’s not too much trouble…i guess, what with your blog etc, you may be spreading your ‘low-fat’ self too thinly :o)

peace

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Hey everyone! Thanks for the salad dressing recipes from the 80-10-10 book. I don’t do nuts, but I never would have thought to mix red pepper with strawberries! That sounds soo yummy and I can’t wait to go to the store. As it was, I got some ideas! I made a dressing out of mango, celery and lemon, and it was actually pretty good on my spinach.

Today I was OVERWHELMED by pure energy. It was so intense; I’ve been having trouble sleeping the past few nights (never more then 4-5 hours) and despite this I kept wanting to run around, bounding from one spot to the next, feeling incredibly exuberant and at peace. And not to mention I’ve been highly creative the past few days; the writing for my novel is just flowing out of me. It was pretty awesome and I know it’s because my diet is so clean right now.

One question: has anyone felt like their raw detox has increased since cutting out most fats?

Hey el-bo Nah, it’s not too much trouble. I will post here what I learn as I go….I will post about my day on my blog tonight, and an abbreviated version here.

Moth: mango, celery and lemon!? Sounds great. I need some ideas for dressings…i have strawberries, tomatoes, lemon, lime, rasperries, blueberries, oragnes….help!

• no detox symptoms except an overall body tiredness this morning….it actually felt nice, not aching..just tired…nothing that a little relaxing didn’t solve….felt pretty energetic for the rest of the day

went for a good walk today…actually, more of a quest for raw corn on the cob…a quest i was to fail…i’d really set myself up for something different, and for some reason i fancied buying spring onions….

what a mistake that was…..the aftertaste was, and is, disgusting…it’s still repeating on me

i also decided to put olive oil on my salad….ugh…the sensation of the oil on my lips combined with the onion nastiness was just ‘too much’....i can see what doug graham means by ‘empty’ calories….i know it’s only day 2, but the oil just felt like…...oil….yuck…..it makes far more sense to consume these fats when incorperated within the ‘whole’ food…...avocado is gonna have to be it, as far as fat goes

to be honest the onions and oil were added in some vain attempt to make my salad taste like it used to….it failed…what i was looking for was salt….......but i aint gonna go there

i did eat quite a few cherry tomatoes…this is a personal triumph…..35 years of disliking them and today i’m dropping them like grapes…almost….i’ve chosen tomatoes as the lesser of 2 evils as far as my sodium needs go….celery is the food of the devil…...even the smell makes me gag…. thing is, i really want to love it…..it would really help me for this lifestyle (if i continue)....i’m gonna wait till my taste buds are a little ‘cleaner’ before i start with celery again….don’t wanna ruin my chances so early in the game

here’s a link to todays consumption/nutrition…...luckily, i’m having no problems consuming enough calories…could do with less dates…but i had to deal with the onion aftermath somehow :o)

2571 calories consumed 83/4/13

peace

• nycgrrl…nice one…remember to post the link to your blog at the bottom of your post (or just one a day would be cool….

hope everyone’s having a good day

• Day 2! hii What a great day :) looks like everyone is doing a fine job with the challenge! I had 1/4 of honeydew melon and 4 bananas for breakfast, for lunch I had 2 grapefruits, 2 humongous granny smith apples and 1 small pink lady apple, and for dinner I had 2 grapefruits (i looove grapefruit!!) 2 tomatoes, 15 cherry tomatoes on 7 romaine leaves. I might snack on another apple if I feel so :) http://www.naturallyfruity.blogspot.com

• Day 2! hii What a great day :) looks like everyone is doing a fine job with the challenge! I had 1/4 of honeydew melon and 4 bananas for breakfast, for lunch I had 2 grapefruits, 2 humongous granny smith apples and 1 small pink lady apple, and for dinner I had 2 grapefruits (i looove grapefruit!!) 2 tomatoes, 15 cherry tomatoes on 7 romaine leaves. I might snack on another apple if I feel so :) http://www.naturallyfruity.blogspot.com

Funny thing, el-bo. I LOVE celery, but love to make celery soup..it’s different without olive oil, but not bad at all.

I hope to get to the point you are at with olive oil. DEFINITELY need alot less now to fulfill my craving, but still.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

nycgrrl: what is your recipe for celery soup?! (without olive oil)

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Oh and I’m DEFINITELY picking up some grape or cherry tomatoes tomorrow. Hearing everyone talk of them has got me craving!

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

Wow. I am humbled. I bought the book and it just clicked. I have been pretty effortlessly raw for over a year with minimal nuts.seeds, avo but way to much oil and coconut. In the lasy three months its been catching up to me and I’ve not felt great. Lethargic despite vigorous exercise, bloated blah blah. Two days eating this way and I already feel less foggy and no cravings for fatty raw treats. Hope it continues. It would be blissfully simple. Thx El-bo for the push. ;o)

Here’s the recipe: Its from Sergei and Valya Boutenko’s book Fresh:

1 bunch celery

3 cups water (i imagine you’d need more since you’ll omit the olive oil)

1/4 cup olive oil (i cut this back a bit)

1/4 cup lemon juice

1 tbs raw honey or some sweetener if desired

spicy pepper

celtic salt

1 small sweet red pepper chopped

Combine all the ingredients except the last in blendtec, then stir that one in. He also suggests 1 avo if you want it creamier, but you wouldn’t need that neccesarily. Yummy!

Here’s the recipe: Its from Sergei and Valya Boutenko’s book Fresh:

1 bunch celery 3 cups water (i imagine you’d need more since you’ll omit the olive oil) 1/4 cup olive oil (i cut this back a bit) 1/4 cup lemon juice 1 tbs raw honey or some sweetener if desired spicy pepper celtic salt 1 small sweet red pepper chopped

Combine all the ingredients except the last, then stir that one in. He also suggests 1 avo if you want it creamier, but you wouldn’t need that neccesarily. Yummy!

• El-bo thanks for all the great links and info. It’s all really helpful and inspiring. I just ordered the book and have been eating just fruit and veg. the last 2 days.

I too would love some ideas for dressings – i’ve love vinagar – any other ideas besides blended nuts and fruits? i tried small amount of avocado, lemon, carrots and orange in the vitamix and it was ok, but i would love more ideas.

also: what about flax seeds (If you are still at the 811 ratio)?

• Hey I am a new member, and I had decided to start the 811 diet on May 31st (permanently hopefully). I have stayed with it since then, and am still going strong. I would love to have the support of people here, as well as give support! Today I had tons of mangos and blueberries. Looks like everyone else is doing well, too! My blog is fruitchild.blogspot.com it is very new though. Anyways, I hope I can join this late?

Cheers!

Fruit Child

• wow that celery soup looks delish! will have to try that as well.

I had a good day—still having a headache—perhaps caffine withdrawal? Got my calories in with large quantaties nectarines (fresh from the farmers market!), apricots, cantalope, bananas, dates and a big bunch of spinach. Funny thing, DH came home and cooked a SAD meal, and I felt bad for him. All that work in the kitchen preparing dinner made me feel so grateful that my meals are so effortless now. Such a time saver!

• thanks for the celery recipe…though without oil, honey or salt (none of which i wanna eat), i might as well just eat it raw

good to see some new guys…..WELCOME :o)

fruitchild….i’ve posted you bloglink in the first post along with the others…..if you can remember, post a full link at the end of your posts

mimo22….flax is fine as long as you stick to the ratio

have a good day everyone

Just wanted to say HELLO for day 3 of the challenge. I am feeling good, just ate a big ol’ smoothie for breakfast and ready to face the day :)

• marichiesa…....wow….missed your post earlier, somehow….i’ve been feeling a lttle down today and reading your post just now really perked me up again….glad you’re enjoying the book

just another reminder to everyone to get the book….no i don’t get a ‘cut’.....great information….just ‘clicks’

onwards and upwards, folks

I am buying the book today over in the east village—there’s a great raw foods store that carries it.

Anyone have some ideas of what to do with raw brocolli-i have a bunch of it i need to use today. Thnaks.

• how ‘bout juicing it and adding to o.j (with fibre) or add to blended banana

• Today was my fourth day and I regretfully gave in to my avocado cravings and ate way too many. So, I bought thirty containers of blueberries (97 cents each!) and am jumping back on the 811 wagon right now. Glad everyone else is doing well! Thanks el-bo.

Cheers, Fruit Child

• so…day 3 almost done

felt a little detox this morning….good…i was starting to worry…..

anyway…took me a while before i felt like eating…of course, the minute i did, all of the symptoms vanished

i feel great

and i’m craving bananas…how convenient…..i can see myself spending a little while mono-mealing them for some complete days…..i have some oranges and salad stuff to finish and then i’ll see if i still want to

today

bananas orange juice dates persimmoms

2029 calories 94/4/3

link to day chart

http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/444/june3po0…

peace to one and all

• go to http://www.goingbananasblog.com/

a really great blog…todays post tues, 3rd especially

• some eye-opening info, here

http://www.vegsource.com/talk/raw/messages/9992…

you don’t have to memorize this stuff, but it does make things a little clearer

eating raw, on one hand is just about ensuring that your food never gets heated above a certain temperature….on the other hand you can really explore further just what the f**k is happening inside of us, and use even the smallest bit of this new learning to inform our choices….this will benefit us in whichever style of raw we are currently (or in future) eating

• Well, day 3 for me is just about over (2nd day fully fruity). Thanks for posting that chart of what you ate el-bo – it’s interesting seeing what other people are eating. I tend to eat lots of different things throughout the day rather than just a lot of a few things. I think it makes it a bit more complicated for me – but I have a hard time eating so much of one thing in one sitting. Orange juice seems like a good way to boost the calories.

Yesterday I ate 2065 calories at 6%p, 84%c, 9%f

Today (so far) I’m at 1794 cals, 5%p, 83%c, 11%f – plus I’ll be munching on some grapes a bit later

I tried some pineapple/macadamia salad dressing today, it was really good.

I’ve been starting to have thoughts about “not being able to eat xxxxx ever again” – but I’m able to keep telling myself “it’s just for 30 days”. The 30 day thing is a great way to do this kind of thing!

Greg