Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

New Again!

angie207angie207 Raw Master

Okay, I know I’ve been on the site for a while, and I know a lot about raw ingredients, nutrition, making food, etc. and I’ve been eating mostly raw for almost 3 years. BUT, I’ve never been without the option of occasionally eating natural meat and raw dairy (mostly raw goat’s milk cheddar cheese). I feel that it’s time to let those things go, so in a way I feel I’m new to raw, because I’m new to eating only eating plant foods! I know it’s probably just a mental thing, because I’ve learned a lot about nutrition, detox, transitioning, etc. – but I’m having a really hard time with it – I think I’m worried about not having the option for something easy & calorie-dense when I’m starving & don’t feel like cutting up a bunch of veggies.

Comments

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Have a look on my profile and look at the recipes I have posted and on my husband Chriscarlton’s profile and his recipes, we made lots of creamy meaty things! Including our cheese which is easy and quick to make and everyone loves.

You won’t miss them after a while. You just have to find some creamy meaty recipes you love. After I went vegan 13 years ago the thought of dairy made me feel sick, and after I went raw the thought and the sight of meat turned my stomach. Maybe the same will happen to you!!

If you want more motivation read this

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

So I decided that a lot of my problem is that I also feel the desire to eat only really raw foods, but I still have emotional attachments. I went to another health food store today, and as I walked past the miso, I was kind of sad that I wouldn’t be buying it any more. (Even though I haven’t used it in probably a year or more!) I hesitated, let the emotion & realization sink in, felt sad about it, and finally moved on to buy the olive oil I had come for. I also have used a lot of nuts for a long time that I didn’t know until recently weren’t really raw, and I am short on money for ordering the really raw ones right now. I love the taste of some of the things I have made with those other nuts (almonds, macadamias, cashews, Brazil nuts), so even though I don’t need them (I have raw hazelnuts, pine nuts, walnuts, pumpkin seeds,hemp seeds & sunflower seeds for similar nutrition), I am sort of greiving over missing them for a few months until I can afford to order the really raw versions. This is such a cool and interesting journey. I realized earlier today that I need to just listen to the things I have said to so many other people on here when they have had questions or needed encouragement – so to be kind to myself, I bought an organic lip balm which is so yummy you could almost eat it! (But I won’t, heeheehee) I just stocked up on more greens & I’m thinking of ideas of salads & dressings with fresh herbs, and I’m looking forward to the abundance our garden will provide. I think I just need to let myself be sad for now, because that’s usually the part I skip in any change – wow! I’m making progress…

Thanks, Zoe! We were typing at the same time. Actually, the Cheese with Spring Onions recipe is what got my attention to replace the raw goat cheese, so because I knew you both eat only really raw foods, I got recipes from both of you yesterday :) Yum! And like the miso, I don’t really want the taste; I think it’s just a transition to a new part of life. Finally, I feel like I can be free!

Okay, thanks for not responding (except for Zoe – and that was VERY helpful, thanks!) – No, really. I was waiting for some great advice, or for someone to send me the magical answer or a list of 20 perfect recipes, or something. The fact that no one did, gave me a chance to work on it myself & deal with the negative emotions & realize that I know what I need to do AND I CAN do it! That being said, it would be great if anyone has any magical answer, or any answer. This is just HARD!!!!! I am just having a hard time & want someone to hug me & kiss my boo-boos!

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

hey angie! this is indeed a change. i too went from “sort of raw” to “all raw” a few months ago. and it’s an adjustment.

BUT it is SO worth it.

one thing i had to realize is that i had to change my idea of how much produce was “too much.” it’s cool to eat two heads of romaine for dinner. when we think of “really” raw food, it’s weird that the raw food movement doesn’t look towards the obvious. when i stopped buying all the raw specialty items (which weren’t even raw to begin with… so sad) i was SAVING money. my grocery bags were bulking up, but were lighter. i guess what i’m saying is that you don’t need to look much further than the produce section of your grocery store. and it sounded like you had quite the abundance in your garden coming up… i’m not saying the nut cheeses and stuff aren’t a good idea, i just find it’s good to eat those AND a whole bunch of produce. and doing that, you’ll gradually need the less dense things.

also, dehydrated flatbreads really helped me. making them with veggie pulp and flax (maybe some zucchini) and any spices you like. it gives that “dense” feeling, without all the heavy (and expensive) raw nuts and such…

anyway, good luck! let us know how it goes.

it’s so great you are doing this before summer by the way… =)

pianissima – Thanks! And, I agree about the timing – it just feels so good and so right, to eat all the fresh fruits & veggies, and I’m hoping/ guessing/sort of expecting that by the time fall comes, I’ll be fine with not eating nearly as heavy as what I’ve been eating during the last 3 winters?

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I just remembered something that will fill you up for cheap ($2/lb for golden flax): crackers! eat flax any time, all the time. these crackers, for 5 ounces, will give you 600 calories. that’s 50 cents for 600 calories, and they are really tasty crackers.

Flax crackers

i’m hoping that i can eat more simple, light food eventually. right now, i can eat light at times, but not at other times. it does help to eat a salad or fruit before a meal, to help me eat less heavy foods.

angie i’m also trying to give up some things from the purely raw dead food list. we can struggle through this together!

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

winona—i really wish raw chefs did a little more research so we didn’t have to “go raw” and then “go, oh, yeah, oops, i mean REALLY raw.” it makes things wee bit confusing in my opinion. like, i never used miso paste BEFORE going raw! =)

• angie-I did not respond before because since I am so new, I feel like I do not have much to give in the way of helping. However, I do want to say that I am really stepping this thing up as of tomorrow. I decided to give myself the month of May to kind of fool around and figure some things out. I still don’t feel ready to jump in because I don’t have any of the typical equipment except for my vitamix and my cheap juicer. I am going to quit making excusses for myself, though. I mean how hard is it to eat some fruit, some veggies, and seeds? If bj can do it, so can I! Please keep posting about your progress. It is helping me. I just got done drinking my first glass of celery, cucumber, ginger juice. Wow! I cannot believe I got through it! Little sips was all I could handle. bj could not drink any of it! I love the smell of that juice. I cannot believe I am drinking stuff like that, though! I did not ever think that I would be able to stomach it!