Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Dried Fruit

I was just wondering how much dried fruit everyone eats in a day. Is dried fruit ok to eat every day? I am just wondering if I should limit myself. Or is it an important part of the raw food diet. Please help me!!!

Comments

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

I find fresh fruit high in water content both easier to digest and more filling and satisfying then dried. I don’t eat dried anymore; just lost my taste for it.

If dried fruit helps keep you raw (it did with me, in the beginning) then go for it! However, I do know it’s best to dry your own fruit, vs purchasing it dried, so you know that it’s truly raw.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

definitely not part of my long term raw diet. i did find i needed it more in the beginning though. make sure you are getting actual RAW dried fruit (do it yourself or pay lots of $$$$ ordering it online i guess). dates are actually raw.

idea: since dried fruit it very difficult to digest, if you need something “concentrated” to stave off hunger i found dehydrated breads made with veggie pulp and flax and some spices were helpful. sometimes you just want something DENSE. =)

• rachel_akikorachel_akiko Raw Newbie

Same here, I ate TONS of dried fruit, especially Sun Maid raisins in the beginning, but now I don’t really want them anymore. Now I go for apples or oranges or a pear…

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

www.therawchoice.com has really raw dried fruit, & there may be some others, but generally, dried fruit is dried aroud 160 F or higher, because it’s faster 7 therefore more economical. So it’s natural that a person will lose the taste for those kinds of dried fruits when eating raw for a period of time. I have a dehydrator, so I dry my own, or sometimes I buy the raw stuff, but I mostly do that for winter or travelling when I don’t have as much access to fresh fruit.

• kevin7197kevin7197 Raw Newbie

The thing to remember about dried fruit is the concentrated sugars. Definitely better to go fresh on a regular basis and use dried occasionally!

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

when i have a super high sugar craving i go for the raisins. they are high in iron and help with digestion for me so i think it’s ok. i eat a few handfuls of apricots or pluots every couple weeks too. for the iron. but never too many at once. they make for a sore belly.

• BeTheChangeBeTheChange Raw Newbie

Ya, I agree with what everyone else is saying. Fresh fruits are definately better. Also, because dried fruits are so concentrated in size, I forget just how many grapes that, say, 2 handfulls of raisins actually is! Or that a handful of dried apricots is actually 5-6 WHOLE apricots! Therefore, I often overeat dried fruits, and the high sugar content makes me crave cooked foods, so I pretty much avoid them unless I’m out hiking or something.

But ohhhhhhhhhhhhh man, dried Turkish apricots are absolutely one of the best foods ever. Hands down. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh man!

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

When I got here for a visit in the winter I started eating TONNES of dried turkish figs. They’re sooo good… After a few weeks I noticed I cannot tolerate them at all, meaning I get abdominal upsets that you wouldn’t believe. Let’s not get into details… I don’t go near them anymore, and the last dried fruit I get is dates, and even those I prefer Khiani which is the ‘wet’ kind, like a fresh fruit. Sometimes I’ll eat a raw dessert which will contain dried fruit but it doesn’t happen more than once a week anymore and I don’t feel great afterwards. (At this moment I’m so very sensitive I doubt I’d be able to even tolerate that.)