Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Is it raw..or dead?

Hi all.. I have a few questions about the “rawness” of some foods… If tea is brewed in cold water, is it considered raw? Why are soy products never discussed here? I guess tofu is not raw…can you sprout soy beans? I’m guessing soy milk is not raw…what about the almond milk you can buy in stores? Do you have to just make your own? ..I am sorry if I sound so naive, I have just been wondering these things for a long time! Also, I am using raw hemp “protein powder” (ground up hemp seeds) in my smoothies, but it tastes a bit like dirt. Does anyone have any recommendations for another raw protein powder? Thanks everyone!! Happy June!!

Comments

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

It seems as if the processing in these types of foods makes them non-raw. i personally go drink tea at times if i want it. as for soy, i feel much better off of it. almond milk in the stores is probably processed and heated so you are better off making your own. it’s not that hard. i think once you get used to what works for you, you will have new eating habits and not have to rely on those “convenience” foods. if you have any doubts if a food is raw or not, contact the manufacturer and ask!

i use the hemp powder as well but not too much of it. spirulina is high protein and you can just use chia or hemp seeds on their own and the taste is much better.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Check out our dead food list here: http://purelyraw.com/deadfoodlist.htm

All soya products are cooked. Tea is heated during its processing, so it is cooked. Maybe some herbal teas are sundried and not boiled, I doubt it though…You could dry your own fresh herbs and make tea with warm water.

Any shop bought nut milk is cooked. It is very easy to make your own. Basically anything that is not in the produce section is cooked.

A handful of spinach in your smoothie would be a better way to get your protein…but it really isn’t necessary to supplement for protein, there is plenty in the normal raw foods we eat. Check out the book The China Study which busts protein myths.

• Awesome!! Thank you Bitt and Zoe for your advice…I am on my way out the door to run some errands—the book store and the health food store! I will check out The China Study, and def. try out some spirulina and hemp seeds! Thanks again!!

• Awesome!! Thank you Bitt and Zoe for your advice…I am on my way out the door to run some errands—the book store and the health food store! I will check out The China Study, and def. try out some spirulina and hemp seeds! Thanks again!!

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

ejowett – glad you found the answers! ask us more questions anytime they come up. enjoy your raw snackies from the health food store.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

ejowett – wow you have such a great enthusiasm, I can almost feel your excitement and I’m all the way in England !! That is all you need to succeed with this you know. I’m So pleased to have been of help ;)