Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Severe GI Distress Question

I have a question for my brother who is having severe GI distress. I thought you might be able to offer a suggestion. He is 50 years old and has a long history of over-consumption of beer. He quit drinking about two months ago and developed a severe case of GI distress.

Comments

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

has he seen a doctor? it could be something serious so it is worth checking out.

since he has so many complicated symptoms and needs, I suggest he see a naturopathic doctor who can help guide him through a detoxification.

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Yes, go see a doctor. Is the blood in his poop at all? Rectal bleeding can mean bleeding in colon – maybe a bleeding polyp. I had this. I had a colonscopy to have them removed – the polyps were precancerous but I was lucky that I had it done. Sounds like he has a lot of digestion issues which is common for people who have colon problems. I have hemmaroids myself too. They are basically harmless unless they pop or something – but usually people get them from straining too hard to have a bowel movement.

I am sure the doctor will suggest a colonscopy.

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

I’ve been through this myself, bleeding and all. Mine landed me in the hospital for a few days without a diagnosis. They kept me drugged up from the pain so I didn’t eat and it went away. They never did tell me anything to do about it, even though at the time I was morbidly obese.

The last thing he needs to do is treat his symptoms. It sounds to me like his body is trying to purge and flush itself out. He should go with it instead of fighting it. The fast food is just shutting his system back down and prolonging his well needed clean out.

Since you are asking for him, my first assumption is that he is not open to all this healthy ‘who ha’ and that you were hoping to find him a quick natural fix. Sorry I can not offer you one if indeed that’s what you wanted.

My suggestion, if he will listen, is 1st go to a Doctor, but only to rule out something specific. If the Doc has no specific answer then most likely he is safe and not weeks from his own demise. As long as this is the case and he is safe, then he needs to encourage this flush out as soon as possible. Avoid any meds the doc suggests including antibiotics (again unless there is a specific diagnosis) Avoid any digestion, heart burn, antacid, anti diarrhea stuff as well. He needs to let his digestive system fix itself.

He needs to fast and let his system have a well needed break. No solid foods for as long as possible. Fresh made juice, not bottled. If he has to eat, make him a whole food meal like big Tomato chunks and Avocado chunks in a bowl with salt on top.

Show him my B&A pictures if he needs a convincer that I may know what I am talking about. Tell him to ask the Doc for his collection of B&A pictures of all his health success stories. Shouldn’t any Doc have a collection of these from all the patients that they have helped to turn their life around? Sorry, I had to work in a little dig on the medical profession.

Also order the DVD Eating from http://www.RaveDiet.com/whatsinfilm.htm . It is NOT a raw food film so it doesn’t seem that weird to a SAD eater. It’s a film about the effects of the SAD diet and all the people in the film are Doctors, even the patients in the film are Doctors. It’s a great convincer for those who still put all their health faith in the commonly held views of medicine and science.

Please check back with an update and feel free to give him my contact info. I would be more than willing to discuss this with you or him via email or telephone at anytime.

Lovebows, Chris

• Thank you all for your replies. I really value this forum and I have learned alot here. As you suggested my brother has an appointment with a doctor tomorrow to rule out any specific disese. Beyond that he is willing to go on a juice fast for as long it takes and as long as he can get off work (he travels extensively when working and cannot juice while travelling.)

My/his next question to you is: if this is a detox symtom from decades of SAD and excess beer how long is the detox likely to last? It has been two months already and he is in pain and great distress. How long can one live on a juice fast? Do you recommend a carrot/beet/celery juice fast and/or a watermelon fast? Also, what do you think about colonics (colon hydrotherapy?) How much is that likely to help? Thanks again for everybody’s feedback.

It’s only prolonged because it has yet to be able to finish. Once 100% raw, all juice or not, a complete detox will last between 6 weeks and 3 months. Don’t fret though, because his horrible present symptoms won’t be with him all that time. I have a hard time imagining his present symptoms lasting more than a week, once 100%, no matter how bad they are. Diabetics who go 100% usually can stop their medication in only four days.

It’s not which juice he drinks or how much of it he drinks that matters. It’s what he is NOT putting into himself, that allows his immune system to finally recover and heal him. I only suggested the juice because I figured he would want something to “eat”. I suggest he drink whatever fresh juice he likes, whenever he likes it. Being able to abstain from cooked food long enough to get past the detox and break his food addictions is all that really matters. Cooked oil addiction is a real serious monkey, not to be taken lightly.

If he eats cooked food in a moment of weakness, he can at least make sure that it is unprocessed and vegan. (unprocessed means no soya or fake meat/cheese crap either) This will do the least damage, allow him to recover the quickest and trigger the least bad cravings. Re-triggering cravings is one of the main things that keep us Yo-Yo-ing and convinces us that we can’t do it.

He will crave whatever is in his blood stream including whatever he is detoxing from his fat cells at any given moment. So warn him that the cravings will come. I had a good rule for myself when I first went raw. Any craving that lasted for more than six hours, I would satisfy. I almost never had to do so because most cravings last less than an hour, but knowing I could have things if I “needed” them made not having stuff so much easier. It worked well for me.

I’d suggest he read the following pages as well…

http://www.purelyraw.com/diseasefree.htm

http://www.purelyraw.com/cooking.htm

http://www.purelyraw.com/whyplantfoods.htm

Congrats on his willingness to take responsibility for his health and your wonderful efforts to aide him.

Lovebows, Chris

• Chris – I have a question about this statement – He will crave whatever is in his blood stream including whatever he is detoxing from his fat cells at any given moment.

It makes sense. This little tidbit of info may be very useful to me when I am trying to combat the cravings for things that are bad for me. This could even go beyond the physical into the emotional and mental aspects concerning bad habits and negative thinking?

gorawmom – Yes it is nice to know the cause of things sometimes. Cravings can cause you to think less of yourself, i.e. “what’s wrong with me, why do I want this crap?”. Food scientists are experts at creating addiction. That is basically the purpose of their job. The large food companies and fast food chains employ whole teams of them. Also the reason many foods are popular is from addiction. Cooked oils is a primary example of this. The smell of a deep fat frier should make us want to barf, not make us hungry, but it does. This is the cooked oil addiction showing up. I just added a great video on addiction to the videos page on our website, check it out. Until we get these residues out of our systems, the addiction will be there, nagging at us.

Get the Monkey off of your back, Go Raw!!!

Lovebows, Chris

• great video….presented in a great style….light enough to send to anyone without feeling that you’re hitting them over the head with health propaganda

thanks

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

Eating like a baby for a while is healing for bowel disorders. Everything pureed/blended.

• Do you think it could be Candida? After all he drank a good bit of beer (yeast) virtually every day for the last 35 years. The symtoms started about the same time he quit cold turkey two months ago. He says he gets severe gas pain and a strong urge to poop the instant any food touches his throut.

Sorry controltechnician, but I’m not into diagnosis. It doesn’t benefit the methods of healing that I use and in some cases, it probably makes things harder. His body does not need to know what WE call a set of specific symptoms in order to fix it.

Thinking is a large factor in our health. Deepak Chopra says in his book “Ageless Body, Timeless Mind” that our cells are all pretty much the same and there is really no difference between a brain cell and a toe skin cell. He goes on to say that our cells are completely under our control and constantly monitoring our thoughts. Our cells await instruction from us to carry out our beliefs. Thinking, “I have candida” is an instruction to his body, and to me it does more harm than good.

Here is a little experiment you can do to show yourself how much you are in control. Place a thermometer in your palm with the end bit touching the center of your palm. Now meditate and concentrate on the thought that you are holding a piece of hot molten metal on your palm. It will take a few minutes but most people will raise the temp of their palm by at least 2 degrees F. Now change your meditation and concentrate on the image of holding an ice cube there instead. After a few minutes you see the temp drop not only back to where it was at first but continue to drop to 2 degrees below your original temp. That’s a 4 degree change in your palm temperature from nothing other than your own will and intention.

I believe all health is input related. Eating, Breathing, and Thinking are the big 3 of input. If you get these 3 right then nothing can be wrong.

Lovebows, Chris

ps: You can heal your breathing with Breath therapy and I believe the best breath therapy is Rebirthing-Breathwork. Here is a link to the Wikipedia page on it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebirthing-Breathwork

• Go to http://www.herbdoc.com immediately, order from this company the Intestinal Formula #2

He will need to do a full bowel cleanse, but IF#2 works wonders for emergencies.