Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Discouraged :(

So I’ve (almost) seemlessly transitioned from vegetarian to vegan. And it just seemed to make sense to “go raw” after doing some research. And I have really felt great these past couple of weeks eating between 70 – 90% raw, depending on the day. However.. all of a sudden, yesterday I started feeling SUPER hungry and had to eat much more fruits and veggies through out the day, and ate a much bigger dinner. Then today again I was STARVING and noticed myself eating more fruits and nuts (and a Larabar). I guess I have two questions…is it normal to start feeling more hungry all of a sudden? And I am worried that I am consuming a lot of sugar as I try to add “new” raw foods to my diet i.e. carrots, corn, beets, jicama, fruits, goji berries, Larabars. I am worried that I might start to put on weight eating these things! I ate like a maniac this evening…all vegetarian foods, obvisouly, just not raw :( I am so discouraged! I don’t understand this new hunger and cravings!!! Does anyone have any recommendations? I don’t know what a “typical” day of eating should look like… keep in mind, I am trying to lose a little weight (about 15 pounds), although this is not the reason I have chosen to go raw. I appreciate all help! Thank you so, so much!!

Comments

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

i’ve been raw for 3 months. on some days, i eat tons. you should realize that veggies and fruit and greens are so low calorie, that it’s fine (and a great idea) to eat tons of these. you could eat a couple of watermelons, 5 bananas, 10 kiwi, 5 cups grapes, 6 heads lettuce, 2 cups corn, 4 carrots, 1 jicama, 4 pears, and still not meet your daily requirement for calories. it’s totally normal to feel more hungry on raw. i was the same as you… long time vegetarian to vegan, i’m a healthy weight, and i always tend to eat when hungry. so the answer to your question is yes… it’s totally normal to feel more hungry at first. especially during the first 6 weeks. It started to level off, but there are days when i eat tons and day when it’s more moderate intake. i include plenty of nuts and avocado and larabars when i need it, to help me fill up.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

you are probably craving nutrients. once your body gets them, it just can’t get enough. i have this same thing. i am not really satisfied unless i have a green smoothie or a raw juice. it is high in nutrients. otherwise, i am just hungry again. if you search the actual sugar content of these foods it is probably less than simple carbs and the SAD. i think if anything, add more greens.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Yes I went up and down with me appetite. Just relax and go with it. In my transition the best thing for me to do was to listen to my body and give it what it wanted. This meant weeks of eating everything in sight, and then weeks of eating very, very little. Your body has got a lot of work to do to reverse the damage that cooked food has done.

Go easy on yourself. Try to stuff yourself with raw foods. Really eat tons of them, prepare recipes that you LOVE. Things kike raw pizza, raw bread, raw cheese, raw pasta…making do with just fruit and vegetables is not normally enough. The recipes are so heavenly, they really are worth making and it is a sure fire way to make this change to being raw permanent, and long term. If you have no raw’replacement’ for your favourite cooked foods, just fruit and vegetables you may find yourself yo yoing rather too much than you would like.

But of you have a choice between a delicious raw pizza or your fave mashed potato, you are more likely to go for the raw pizza (maybe!!) than if it were a choice between mashed potato and a bowl of fruit.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

ejowett—personally i lost weight and i was eating “illogically.” lots of fats and desserts along with veggies and greens and fruits of course.

i was starting to get alarmed when i craved like 6 bananas. DON’T be alarmed. and don’t fear fat just because you are trying to lose weight. throw those ideas out the window.

larabars are not raw though, so i’d invest in some good RAW nuts and some dates and make your own…

wholesalealmonds.com has great prices on RAW almonds. you can only buy raw almonds directly from the farms in CA now because store ones are pasteurized as of last september.

• ZanzibarrrZanzibarrr Raw Newbie

Zoe-I guess you answered my question. I need gourmet raw food classes. Have the best day ever!

Pianissima- Invest in some good raw nuts you said, well, I am a bit puzzled with that. I feel I can not trust any brand for that. At the moment I just don t eat them ( well my dad sent me some from his garden in France to say the truth :), I eat avocados instead but I d be happy to find truly raw nuts.

• First of all, I just want to thank everyone for all your help. You are all so knowledgeable and supportive. I would not have made it through these past couple of weeks without you all! I really think that the hardest part of becoming raw is (to use pianissima’s words) “throwing ideas out the window”. I, and all the people around me, have always considered myself a “healthy” eater. But, looking back, I was overly concerned with fad diets. I mean, I own like every diet book ever written….seriously. However, many of these ideas are conflicting – eat less carbs, more protein, eat more whole grains, eat more fats, eat no fat – I realized I have been stressing myself with what NOT to eat since I was about 12 years old! And somewhere along the way I stopped listening to my body and what it needed. I think by eating raw I am starting to tune into my body and I will truly begin to give it the nourishment that it needs. I am looking forward to this new lifestyle. Thank you all again!!!

kevyn—seeds are definitely more reliable. as long as they are organic they are non-irradiated. pumpkin, sunflower, sesame etc…

since you can freeze nuts safely, i bought 10 lbs of almonds from a farm in california. it was only $5 a lb with free shipping. i got them in october and i’m STILL working on them! i gave the link above. click here

they are NOT pasteurized because they don’t have to be if you buy direct from the farm.

it’s nice in the beginning to have some heavier foods, but i did fine with just those almonds and lots of seeds (just used them in any recipe that calls for nuts).

hope that helps.

ejowett—YAY! :)

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

pianissima – thanks for the link for those raw almonds – $5 a pound, really?! Wow! I’m super excited about that!

Throw ideas out the window – so true! Before raw, when I was trying to lose weight, I had to stick to about 1,800 calories per day, and I was slooowly losing weight. When I started eating mostly raw three years ago, I ate what appealed to me with the intention of giving my body what it needed, and I lost 40 pounds in 3 months, without counting calories, and eating a lot of nuts, seeds, oils, etc. I started looking at how many calories I now eat in a day out of curiosity, and I eat an AVERAGE of 3,000 calories per day without any heavy exercise – yesterday I ate 3,709! And I am not gaining weight, except gaining back (within a week after getting out of the hospital!) the weight I had lost being sick recently :)

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

pianissima – the website is now jordanalmonds.com & they only sell candy – waaaaah!!!

I know that www.realrawfood.com sells all kinds of nuts they say are really raw, but I haven’t ordered from them yet, so I can’t say from experience.

thank you Pianissima, I ll see what I can do in London, or around.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i found some local hazelnuts around here. they guarenteed the raw ones are, well, raw.