Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Unusual dehydrator question

Hi guys! My family and I have just begun an all summer-long camping trip, and this is my first access to a computer for awhile, so it’s out with the question right off:

Anyone know if a dehydrator will be able to do its work and, well, deyhydrate things, if it is being used outdoors? Like say if it is plugged in and set on a picnic table? This is a weird question because air is naturally composed with moisture in it, exactly what we want to decrease, and is of itself a damp, humid element, but I’m still wondering if the fan in the dehydrator could keep up and focus the air circulation on the food inside? Or will it exhaust itself because of the endless source of outside moisture and burn out? I know I will just need to try it, as it is my only option being that we are squeezed into a campervan as it is, with no floor or counter space to spare. I really hope to have some input into whether this is do-able, though. THANKS bunches!! :-)

Comments

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

There’s only one way to find out! Maybe you’re the first to try. It may take longer, but if you’re there all summer there’s no hurry. Good luck!

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

is there something in particular you want to be making? could we help you find an alternative to dehydration?

• Thanks, amysue! I hope I’m not the first to try-I somehow always manage to try for the most offbeat ideas ever!! HA!

Pianissima- I’m looking to make all the dishes that keep me going, from simple daily things like flax crackers all the way to “gourmet” raw pizza/pizza crusts using sprouted buckwheat. I have heard of sun-drying loaves of raw bread, I could try this as well, but I’m a bit daunted by the possibility of insects or fermentation. I guess I will have to be brave and try, though.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I am sure it would work. Different places in the world have different air humidity. Like here in the UK it is very dry, but in Hawaii it is humid and dehydrators work every where. The heat in the dehydrator will dry the air out. Anyway I might be wrong but it is worth a go isn’t it? Big respect to you for travelling with it! Me and my husband have been known to travel with a suitcase with a champion juicer, blender and food processor in it lol!!

• sarawsaraw Raw Newbie

I don’t see why not. I’d put the dehydrator in the sun too. Maybe it will dehydrate it faster. Okay, so now I don’t feel like a freak. I pack my own food, and sometimes my own pans, due to the gluten contamination. Sometimes I get tired of being the odd one who carries food around with her all the time.