Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

mulberries everywhere

so i’ve got a mulberry tree in my backyard. the fruit is kind of bland to me, slightly sweet. any ideas about what to do with them? i’d like to make a pie, what could i use to stiffen the blended fruits? is tapioca raw? i’ve seen it in a couple of recipes here. also i’ve heard of using psyllium husk as a thickener.

Comments

• suzyqsuzyq Raw Newbie

I’m so jealous! When I was little, my neighbors (and best friends) had practically a mulberry grove behind their house! We used to go build forts and eat mulberries all day…

I’ve only ever eaten mulberries plain…but if you wanted to make a pie, I bet it would be tasty. There’s a recipe on here for jelly/jell-o that is basically blended blueberries and blackberries and the pectin (I think it’s pectin) in the berries is enough to set them up in a gel. So you might not need any thickener at all. Or you could add chia seeds if you’ve got them. I think anything dried could work as a thickener, too—sometimes I throw in dried shredded coconut or dried fruit (unsoaked) to soak up extra liquid.

• RawVoiceRawVoice Raw Newbie

If you can’t decide, you can just dehydrate them. I think they are delicious that way.

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

agar agar? I don’t know if it is raw. You could use arrowroot. Or even flax.

• What about Irish moss (if your anything like me you’ll be surprised that it is actually seaweed not moss..)? It’s hard to find but I HAD to have it to make the Cafe Gratitude Tiramisu! (OMG! The super best! Better than the real thing!....really.)

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

chia might also work to thicken

• SueSue Raw Newbie

The only thing I ever used mulberries for was a trail mix. Mix almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds, goji berries, mulberries and raisins. I also throw in some cocoa nibs. Awesome stuff when you need a quick energy boost.

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

Someone made a Ti-raw-misu???~!! Oh my.