Looking to purchase Dehydrator?

KhaasLadkiKhaasLadki Raw Newbie

I’m wanting to purchase a dehydrator, not only for making raw-desserts/etc, but because I want to be able to dry my own fruit so that it doesn’t have junk on it (plus it will be way cheaper). I don’t need anything fancy, so I don’t want to spend lots on it and I don’t need one that has like a bajillion trays or anything (;D), but something that’s fairly quiet and lasts. I’ve noticed a lot of people seem to use the Excalibur brand… is it a better brand I guess? (worth paying more for? I’m not a ‘cheap’ person – I just don’t like to spend more than I have to! :D) Also, I’m not sure how much a ‘good price’ is for a dehydrator, so any tips would be great!

I found a few on Amazon, but I’m going to keep looking while ya’ll are answering.

Here are some that I’m looking at (they are links): Back to Basics Dehydrator Nesco Snackmaster Excalibur 4 Tray

Comments

• i’ve had the 9-tray excalibur dehydrator for about a year now and am very happy with it. was in the same position as you last year deciding on brands and trays. very glad with the 9 tray. seems like a lot of trays, but it’s not that many apples. they are generally in the $200 range. well worth it.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

I have the excaliber 4-tray. I have dried sweet potatoes in it for a treat for me dogs. They love it. Keep in mind the fruit shrinks so you can put lots on the trays.

I think the main benefit to the excaliber is that you do not have to stack the trays and you can take one tray in and out while the others are still dehydrating. it is about a quiet as a small fan on medium.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

http://www.canningpantry.com/

this is where we got ours from.

• KhaasLadkiKhaasLadki Raw Newbie

Cool, thanks! The Excalibur 4-tray looks like what I need… that’s probably what I’ll end up with. :)

Thanks!!

• KhaasLadkiKhaasLadki Raw Newbie

Oh, one more thing, I saw that at the canningpantry.com site the one I was looking at was $179, but it doesn’t have a timer on it, and it comes with a 1 year warranty, free UPS shipping, trays, guidebook, poly-screens, and three ParaFlexx sheets. Right now on the Excalibur website they have a sale for one that I want for $209, but it has a timer, and it comes with a free 10 Year Extended Warranty, a free Polyscreen Pack, a guidebook, 2 free ParaFlexx sheets, and free FedEx shipping.

Now, I know I am able to actually calculate the actual cost here, but I don’t know what you need/don’t need with a dehydrator. Is it worth it to pay the extra to get the 10 yr warranty? Do these things really NEED a warranty, or are they like Kitchenaid mixers (lol)? And how helpful is the timer? I do have to work during the day so I won’t be there to watch it or turn it off if something is done, but canningpantry.com said you can purchase timers at HomeDepot? Anyone tried these?

Thanks for any input.

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

stRAWberry, I’m not sure about the watts but IMHO higher means it can do a more effecient job… So it should be less costly to operate…

Khaas Ladki, seems like the 9 tray is a much better deal, all things considered… I have an old 1970’s model convection oven that has 3 large trays and I wish it had more, 9 would be wonderfull…

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

Khaas Ladki: The timer is extremely helpful – I’d put it at the very top of my list for a dehydrator. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve put something in the dehydrator and set it to switch off in the middle of the night or before I get home after a day of work. Honestly, I couldn’t imagine having to remember to stop the dehydrator each time. Of course, I’ve also been known to let boiling water completely evaporate and burn a pan.

• Excaliber, definately. Don’t buy a cheap one that has the heat source coming from the bottom. Food drops down and forms mold. The excaliber 5 tray with timer is about £199 and the 9 tray about £219, so I went for the 9 tray for the extra £20. And Kandace is right about the timer, it’s a must have. Cheers from Healthy-Woman