CDC: Tomatoes eyed in salmonella cases in 9 states

Peaceful Greetings!

I just thought I’d share this article I just came across.

Matanah

CDC: Tomatoes eyed in salmonella cases in 9 states http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080603/ap_on_he_me…

By MIKE STOBBE, AP Medical Writer 6 minutes ago

An outbreak of salmonella food poisoning first linked to uncooked tomatoes has now been reported in nine states, U.S. health officials said Tuesday.

Lab tests have confirmed 40 illnesses in Texas and New Mexico as the same type of salmonella, right down to the genetic fingerprint. An investigation by Texas and New Mexico health authorities and the Indian Health Service tied those cases to uncooked, raw, large tomatoes.

At least 17 people in Texas and New Mexico have been hospitalized. None have died, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Another 30 people have become sick with the same Salmonella Saintpaul infection in Arizona, Utah, Colorado, Kansas, Idaho, Illinois and Indiana. CDC investigators are looking into whether tomatoes were culprits there, too.

In Texas and New Mexico, raw large tomatoes

Comments

• Thanks for sharing the article.

It makes me think out loud….conventional tomatoes… not organic tomatoes.

Maybe…and then again, maybe not.

However, I have to remind myself that most people do go for the conventional, due to the cost of produce. So, most of these awful cases, were probably contracted from conventional.

I mean someone correct me if I am wrong, but Bill Clinton did give the “okay” to use poultry manure.

But then again, let’s take another look at things. Organically speaking….

Retail Notebook: Chemicals just bug your garden http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/276099_r…

A quote from the article….

Unlike the food industry, the gardening world’s “organic” means products that contain living or dead matter instead of synthetics. Most organic fertilizers, for example, contain manure from poultry and cows that aren’t raised organically according to USDA certification requirements, said Bruce Augustin, director of environmental agronomy for The Scotts Miracle-Gro Co.

Please do not misunderstand my point. We eat nothing but organic in our household. But I have to remember constantly to question everything. Question even the methods used to get the desired outcome. This article was a great beginning for me. It help me in my path, it was a conscious starting point to learn more about organic, how to grow organic, and how to tend to our organic safely.

We all need to make sure we know what we are eating. Be informed about the food you eat.

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

SIMPLYRAW - You are right about the gardening term “organic.” I am starting to grow my own vegetables and I found some compost I wanted to buy that was organic and it said, as though this was a statement of quality, that it contained discards from “school lunch programs and even gourmet ice creams.” I thought, I wouldn’t put that s**t in my dirt much less my stomach.

So now I’m thinking, how much contaminated crap am I going to have to have in my dirt? I wanted to start growing my own food so I could be assured of the quality but you can’t even get un adulterated dirt on this planet any more,