Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

avocado

How do you tell if an avocado is ripe. Once I waited 2 long and then I cut into another one to early:(

Comments

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

When you squeeze it lightly it should yield slightly. I have heard it should feel like your arm. However, I guess that would depend on the arm!

• emmie21 – split the difference and you’ve got a perfect avocado. heh heh. Yes, it should yield ever so slightly when you palm it. Often, at first, it’s trial and error and then you get to a point where you get it right every time once you get the feel of it.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

at first when i started buying them i had the guy in the produce department help me find a ripe one. it was a perfect pick. now i am better at it myself, but it takes practice. you have to get used to the feel. slightly soft but not too soft.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Also, you can go by color. When it starts to darken, it’s getting ripe. When mine start to darken, I give a gentle squeeze, but not hard enough to bruise. If it yields slightly it’s ready but if it’s still hard, I let them sit another day. Sometimes I get avos that are ready when only part of the skin is dark and I’ve had avos that were yuck until the entire skin was darkened, so go by both methods: darkening of the skin and squeezing.

Sometimes they are picked WAY, way too early(like imported avos) and need a bit of extra darkening time. Still, I don’t let them get really black on the outside before I store them in the fridge.