Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Fewest foods, adequate nutrition

Does anyone consciously try to eat the fewest foods (in terms of variety) while getting adequate nutrition (protein, vitamins, etc)?

I’d like to simplify my eating as much as possible, so I’m looking for a small combination of ready-to-eat raw foods that would provide adequate nutrients. I’m thinking buckwheat groats and kale.

Any input or suggestions? Thanks

Comments

• I often do like simple. I personally wouldn’t do a grain, I would do a leafy green (like kale) and a fruit (berries are super nutritious. Higher-sugar fruits are better for calories). And if a third food, hemp seed or avocado for some fattiness. Grains don’t tend to have any unique nutrients. Maybe sprouted buckwheat, then it’s almost like a green!

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Just my own feelings, I think buckwheat sprouts, along with alfalfa sprouts, are highly over rated for nutrition. Buckwheat is not a grain, it’s an herb, and so I would treat it as such, i.e., carefully. I agree with cannibalwarrior and avoid real grains. I find that lettuces, some greens(like kale), apples, avocados, berries, some bananas and a few truly raw nuts(just a couple times a week on nuts) help me to function quite well.

I used to do a lot more lettuce and greens but decided I really couldn’t handle the nonstop runs(!), so have cut back. I am always adjusting my diet and learning. Keep in mind that now you are on a raw foods diet, there is no reason to eat copious amounts of protein. You would require less than half of what is recommended for protein. Probably less than that, even. Basically, don’t fret about it and listen carefully to your body, and don’t confuse a physical adjustment for your new foods for weakness or malnutrition. There is a difference. Have fun!:D

• anngoingrawanngoingraw Raw Newbie

I’m starting to follow (or try to follow) hyppocrates intitute diet where sprouts and greens are basic ingredients. I think those two make a good cuople in order to achieve a good nutrition, only a source of fat is needed (avocado for example). Just my opinion.

EDIT: i’m very new to raw, just started two months ago.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

hey cal_gundert—totally unrelated, but i read your profile. how does archive work? i’m a musician, so i’d like to put my music up… is it streaming, or would i have to make it free for download (not that keen… maybe for some live recordings)?

in terms of foods, if you are just starting out, your body will be letting you know what you need. “consciously” is actually an intuitive thing, not a mind thing. i’d just go to the farmer’s market and see what pulls you in. make sure you get a lot more produce than you “think” you’ll need. =)

• pianissima—the Archive material I listen to/download is from their Live Music Archive of trade-friendly artists (most is streamable, all is downloadable). Members of the Archive (I’m not one) record those shows and post them. If you’re interested in submitting a live recording (or trying to find someone to record a show), I’d read the Live Music Archive FAQ

They also have music from various netlabels, often under some form of CC license. That, it seems, is not what you’re interested in, though.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for everyone’s suggestions. However, I’d really like a STRICT diet (I struggle with moderation, and being “loose” with raw foods can make me turn to junk food). Of course, I don’t think that I should neglect my health, either.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

there is nothing wrong with eating buckwheat groats in moderation. i have been eating them a bit more this week to wean myself off nuts. you have to play around with the diet in order to find what works. as far as strict: 100% raw is pretty strict if you ask me. I would caution against eating only 2 foods. If anything our diet is too narrow. Variety of foods is best because each food provides different amino acids that when together form proteins. If anything, go with what is freshest and local. So that will mean different things at different times. For example, it is chard season and strawberry season where I live. So I am eating a lot of that right now. Next month it will be different as different fruits mature and different greens appear. So…don’t limit yourself in the wide world of amazing fruit and vegetable choices! If anything this diet has opened my choices rather than limited me.

• Yeah, I’ve been thinking about it more, and I really shouldn’t try to limit myself.

Paradoxically, I think that by looking for the perfect food combo, I was allowing myself to eat a bunch of junk food (which I’ve been doing lately)—I was thinking, “I’ll just eat this junk until I find that magic combo.” But eating that junk 1) preempted me from trying out different raw foods and 2) would have continued because 2 foods is too limited and I wouldn’t have found what I was seeking.

Thanks again, everyone. I’m off to the grocery store.

• SuzicalSuzical Raw Newbie

cal – When I want to eat that way – I focus on blender greens – 1 dark green leaf of choice (usually kale) and 1 fruit of choice (usually apple) WITH spirulina and chlorella. Sometimes just the algae powder in water (it is an acquired taste fo’sho’).

I find the addition (either powder or tablet) of either or both of these algaes works wonders for me, no matter what else I have going on (food wise, life wise etc.).

Those to me are totally nutrient dense foods upon which I could thrive/survive for quite a while if I had to.