Insuline resistance and Raw food?

Im slowly coming back to raw any advice on Insuline resistance and Raw food.. I had a hypoglycemic episode last time and it scared me right off raw. plus I was training for a marathon now I just want to feel like I did when I started raw food diet light and healthy!!

Comments

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

Watch eating a lot of fat with high glycemic carbs. This has been a huge lightbulb moment for me recently as I have cut the fat WAY back in my diet. The fat in the blood impairs insulin activity so it is harder to quickly move glucose into cells. With sustained increased blood glucose, the body pumps out more insulin. I wouldn’t have thought this true, but I am disglycemic myself and was eating a high fat diet with little fruit trying to keep my glucose spike lower but I am trying the 80/10/10 challenge on this site and I am feeling hugely better. I resisted this as I was a 40/30/30 girl from the original Zone. If you haven’t tried this approach before, give it a go. I have found that I can add only about 100 to 150 calories of overt fat and still maintain 10% or so. The 10% refers to % of calories that are fat. All I can say as that when I was eating a lot of nuts and seeds and ate hardly any carbs, I would shoot up to 140 or 150 and feel foggy. On the low fat, I have sustained energy, no fog and the few glucose checks I’ve done were good (below 100). I was also suffering severe cravings, esp for sweets. I have none now. That is a miracle for me as I could usually NEVER walk away from something sweet no matter how full I was or how bad it was for me. I could care less now and have breezed through 2 family parties with no problems

• Thank you so much for the info I will give it a try.. Do you mind giving me some tips on you daily sched with food please it sounds like you have found something that works for you I will look in to the 80/10/10? this is on this website? I felt really bad to when I was eating nuts bloated and foggy. What about Avocado?

• Oh please tell me more about this. I tend to get sleepy and foggy if I eat many dried fruits or bananas so I expect I have some sort of hypersensitivity to sweet things. Is that what you’re talking about. And you say I should actually eat MORE FRUITS? I’m not sure I get it…

• HI, I thought maybe I could be of some help on this issue because I have conquered diabetes on raw (doctor confirmed). I would suggest you not eat more than two pieces of fruit a day. I eat a banana in the morning and maybe an apple or something in the evening. The rest of the day I eat veggies and seeds or nuts. I usually have a huge salad of cut veggies and raw mushrooms for lunch with as little oily dressing as I can get away with on it. For dinner I usually eat a nut-seed pate on raw mushrooms and peppers along with other veggies if I want it and am hungry. This has worked very well for me and I am not hungry at all. Diabetes and hypoglycemia are the same disease, just different levels. I also do drink instant decaf tea with stevia because I have found that keeps me on track not craving other drinks but if you could do straight pure water that would be better. At first I ate more avocados (usually one after dinner), because I seemed to be craving them but now I do not do that. It can be done and it did work for me. I do not now have high blood pressure and I lost 45 pounds the first 5 mo. I also was taking meds for depression and bi-polar disorder and after I went raw and quit taking the meds I found out that I have neither. Hope this helped you a little. Rosemary 

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Malene Trut – Dried fruits are not raw, unless you get some that are specifically labeled that way www.therawchoice.com has some good ones. But if you suspect that you have sugar sensitivity issues, it might be a good idea to get tested for blood sugar problems.