Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Whick is better...?

A Juicer (looking to buy Omega 8005) or a blender (Vita-Mix or BlendTec)?I am new and need some good advice (I am sorry if this question is redundant one). I can only invest in one so I need to know what is best to start with! Keep in mind that I am also going to invest in an Excalibur.

I am slowly easing into this new way of eating (and so far I like it and feel great). I probably won’t be able to get the full benefits until I have the right equipment though.

Thanks…

Comments

• rachel_akikorachel_akiko Raw Newbie

I’d go with the juicer, and save up for the blender later. It’s really great to juice every day, and healthier than green smoothies.

• heartshapedskyheartshapedsky Raw Newbie

my vote is for a blender. i love my blendtec and i use it every day for smoothies, sauces, soups and all!

• I recommend the blender. I think smoothies are healthier than juice since you don’t remove the fiber. Besides smoothies, I make soups, cheese, pate, pudding, sorbet—really most everything in my Vitamix.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

I vote for the blender… you can make ice cream, dressings, soups, smoothies, nut butters…

Downside? Making green smoothies makes them high in fiber unlike juicing them. And, they oxidize less than juiced drinks. Well, that’s not a downside, but the high in fiber can be for some… since it can constipate. And, liquid drinks with fiber works your kidneys more than juicing.

We use the blender the most. The juicer is in storage, also harder to clean.

Which blender? Here’s my post on it Basically, I recommend and prefer the Vita-Mix. I have both. The post explains why… but you may want the BlendTec for the same reasons I don’t like it. Preference.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

babydollsea. you don’t need equipment to reap the benefits of raw. no other animal on earth has appliances that help them to grow strong and healthy. appliances help us keep things varied and interest, they don’t add to our health. (just to clarify) =)

BUT if you want to get both, i’d say get a juicer and a magic bullet (cheap). you’ll use the blender more in my opinion, but i use my magic bullet more than my blender.

• I’d definitely go with the blender. Its much more versatile, and a lot easier to use.

• The cool thing about a good blender is that you can do both…if you want to juice, but can’t afford the juicer…you can just blend up your veggies/fruits, and strain it with a nut milk bag and there you have it…fiber-less, fruit or green juice. Go with the blender and DO BOTH!!!

• RawKRawK Raw Newbie

gotta go with a blender, not even close. like Sky Princess said, with a blender and $5 nut milk bag you have a juicer, too. got my blendtec last month and can honestly say i would pay more than the $330 i spent. i use it at least everyday, if not 2-3 times. id use it more, but i have a vitamix at work, so i get brekky and lunch done there.

if you go blender: blendtec over vitamix everyday of the week.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i think everybody made some good points for the blender. i’d ideally have both a juice and smoothie each day but one thing keeps me from using the juicer more: more parts to clean. my blentec is just so easy to clean i use it all the time. the juicer is a pain because it has so many parts to wash.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

We have a beautiful juicer just sitting around because of also not liking to wash all the parts, but we use the vitamix daily :) Clean-up on juicer, about 12 minutes. Clean-up on blender, about 1 minute. Time it takes to juice a lot of produce, longer than it takes to blend it. You can use a blender for pat

• rachel_akikorachel_akiko Raw Newbie

lol, i’m the only one that voted for a juicer. I guess I do use my blender a lot more than the juicer, but I like them both a lot.

• i second skyprincess and rawk—the blender is a juicer (with nut milk bags) and blender in one!

Sky Princess: Great idea about the nut milk bags to remove some fiber! I’ve got to remember that one. I do that for nut milks, but it didn’t occur to me to do that for green smoothies! I’m sure there is still fiber in there, but less is better when you’re constipated by drinking too many fiber-rich smoothies. Great!

So, if you remove the fiber with the nut milk bag… I’m sure not all of it is removed. I would have to use a really fine (small holes) bag because the high-speed blenders really break the food down into tiny sizes.

Would it change the oxidation rate also?

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I have an Omega juicer, and I can make juice and drink it throughout the day because it’s slow and grinding, but with the Vita-Mix, it oxidizes very quickly, so the Vita-Mix rep said eat/drink or within 4 hours or freeze anything you use the high-speed blender for. Also, I think germin8 is right about straining stuff that was blended – the fiber is broken down so tiny that it probably wouldn’t get filtered out. The reason a lot of people juice is that nutrients are easily absorbed without having to go through the digestive system like they would when the fiber is with the juice. The Omega juicer is slow, though, so if you’re doing a lot (I did a gallon or more), plan on it taking a while :)

• Oh yes, definitely the magic bullet and a juicer! They are the perfect kitchen items.

• Gotta jump on the blender bandwagon with this one. We use our Vitamix all the time. You can do so much more with – even make juice!