Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Overeating

Does overeating refer to the frequency, the size or the caloric density of meals? Thanks!

Comments

• Anytime you eat more than you need and feels good, in bulk or calories—could be any of the three things you listed. But also remember that it is a normal part of transition and helps slow detox, making it more manageable. It’s tough to get used to the lighter feeling of raw foods, and it takes time for most.

• In most cases, size and caloric content go hand-in-hand. If you overindulge in an enormous quantity of food, there is probably a good chance of consuming an excess amount of calories.

Wikipedia claims “overeating is a behavior that, while generally not a medical problem, in some cases is a symptom of binge eating disorder or bulimia. In more general terms it refers to the persistent consumption of excess food in relation to the energy that the person expends, leading to weight gain and often to obesity. This may be a brief or short term process (many people overindulge generally during festivities or while on holiday) or a longer term process.”

I hope that helps.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

some things you can’t overeat though: greens, celery… (barely any calories, and SO good for you!)

if you are having a mono-meal of say, oranges, it would be very hard to over-eat. even though you might start to feel very full, you probably wouldn’t be “full” in terms of calories.

fats are very easy to overeat and if you are hungry you could easily overeat them without even feeling full.

so, it really depends.

if you have a problem with overeating, try eating more fresh foods.

• Pianissima has great points—it is very hard to overeat fresh fruits and veggies. Fats are easy to overeat (since small amounts can be too much). Same for dried fruits. Blended, ground, or juiced foods are also easier to overeat, since you don’t have to do the work of chewing (for ground foods, think: nut butters. For juice, I would not be concerned with greens). Shelled nuts are much more difficult to overeat since you have to do the work of opening them. Spices and salt can make you overeat if you are not conscious, because they can encourage you to eat for that flavor rather than the food.

For me, if I have too much bulk, I can’t digest it, even if calorically it wasn’t very much—think a head of kale and a pound of berries. In that case, I would do better to eat the same amount, but split up over more time. And that’s why careful amounts of fats can be nice, so you don’t have to consume quite as much bulk (like a few ounces or less a day).

• nycgrrlnycgrrl Raw Newbie

i ate some celery soup with a bit of olive oil and avos, and a big green salad tonight, and I feel uncomfortably full. But I think it’s because I’ve been undereating for the last week?

• SueSue Raw Newbie

petalouda, I think overeating refers to the amount of food you ingest in one sitting, whether it be totally organic and raw, or really, really baaaaad for you…..Obviously, organic and raw is way more healthy..but the issue is not “what” you are eating, but rather, “why” you are over-eating. I’ve been dealing with this in my own personal life for many years. When I get it all figured out, I’ll let you know. Until then the best thing I can tell you is, if you’re gonna over eat, do it as pianissima says, with greens and fruits.