Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Lethargy :(

Moments after I have my salad I just can’t keep my eyes open!

I have been 100% raw for over a year now.

My green salad is usually quite simple and comprises of: vegetables & leafy greens & fat & lemon juice. I only experience this after absolutely any variation of my green salad; never with fruit, smoothies or raw desert recipes. When I do, I use just a couple of huge Kalamata olives. I only and sparely use one type of fat (avocados / nuts / seeds / oils). One dressing I particularly enjoy is: blended celery with lemon juice and tahini. I don’t know why this is happening but I want it to go away! This is my favorite meal of the day…

What do you think could be causing this?

Comments

• Maybe, no longer receiving stimulants or stimulating food, you’re in touch with the fact that you need more sleep. Even if you sleep a good amount, you could have a sleep deficit from before that you need to make up.

Is the fat in addition to the olives or including (since olives as a fatty food)? And how much is it usually—one ounce of nuts, for example? One avocado?

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

three possibilities (that i can see, anyway):

1)your tahini is not raw (unless it specifically says otherwise, it’s been heated in processing) and/or you are using too much, so your body is getting tired from digesting it.

2) the salad is not providing you with enough calories and you are tired because of UNDEReating. remember, salad has barely ANY calories, so if you are active, that may not cut it. try eating quite a bit of fresh fruit about a half hour before your salad. anything you like. but if you choose bananas, i’d wait a little longer.

3) detox is exhausting!

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

p.s. same for kalamata olives as for tahini. unless you are buying from a local shop that cures their own olives, they have been either pasteurized and/or steeped in pasteurized vinegar OR cured in heated olive oil OR cured in table salt.

not to overwhelm you… i didn’t used to think twice about buying containers of things!

• nycgrrlnycgrrl Raw Newbie

how much exactly of fat are you putting in? Fat defniitely makes me sleepy. Definitely.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

this is interesting. i almost always have fruit after my salad (i have a pretty big sweet tooth). it perks me up.

i really like our homemade tahini a lot better than the store-bought. if you are using it in dressings, it works just fine. then you can be sure it is raw. I LOVE lemon tahini too and thanks for the idea of putting celery with it.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

this is interesting. i almost always have fruit after my salad (i have a pretty big sweet tooth). it perks me up.

i really like our homemade tahini a lot better than the store-bought. if you are using it in dressings, it works just fine. then you can be sure it is raw. I LOVE lemon tahini too and thanks for the idea of putting celery with it.

• FeeFee Raw Master

Im sure I remember somewhere reading that lettuce has things in it which do make you feel sleepy. However I cant remember which book I read it in, sorry!

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

bitt: how do you make your homemade tahini? petalouda: I read spinach can be hard on your thyroid and therefore maybe making you sleepy?

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

Lettuce does have trpyophan which can make you sleepy, but it may just be the fats. Either too much, or unknowingly processed. I noticed I am sleepier lately, but I think mine has to do with catching up and/or repairing. Especially since today I had more fat than I have had in a long time, but feel alright. Speaking of that, I just reminded me, if I am not sleepy I ought to be packing!

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

homemade tahini is simply sesame seeds ground up. add a little oil if you wish.