Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

What sort of climate do you prefer?

queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

I was wondering what sort of climate do other gonerawers like and has your preferences changed since you went raw?

I grew up in Chicago and I remember in my 20s I actually liked overcast days (not practiculary cold but fall like weather and no sun), I actually thought I would move to England some day since it is always so overcast there! I actually didn’t like it when it was sunny and warm because I felt uncomfortable in shorts (probably because I was very pale and didn’t tan and I was self conscious about that) and I felt better if I got to wear sweaters and leggings to cover up. I was a vegetarian at the time but not raw.

Being in Chicago,the winters are pretty harsh there and you would think that after years of living in that that cold it wouldn’t really phase me anymore but the more I do raw the more I don’t like cold weather and esp snow!

Now, I want to live in tropical area and not wear any clothes (if I can). I want it to be sunny all the time! I want to lay around and tan (now that I am raw I actually dont burn anymore) and my dream is to eat tropical fruit of the trees and swim in the salty ocean all the time. Quite different from when I was in my 20s!

My theory is that when you eat more naturally you want to return to being completely natural – that means being near water, sun and nature.

It my personal belief that humans were not meant to live in cold, snowy areas and that they were meant to live in warm areas where clothes would not be necessary and near salty and fresh bodies of water on the sand near trees and other plants that bear fruits and berries and greens for them to eat.

I think that if you are in the cold areas you will want to eat more warm foods of course – so more cooked things. If you are in a warm or hot areas you eat less and want to consume more fruits and liquids.

How does everyone else feel about this? Does anyone else feel there preferences of climate and temperatures have changed since going raw?

Comments

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

Hey queenfluff! We have a lot in common. Being fair I’ve always preferred northern climates for comfort’s sake and I preferred to be covered up. Big fan of sweater weather! I love the changing of the seasons although summer was my least favorite. But I will say, I am enjoying the sun and craving it much more. I’m a little nervous because I’ve barely used sunscreen this year, no desire, but I’m still getting burned and skin care runs in our family in a big way. I think about all the raw books and all the people here who say you won’t need sunscreen but it’s not working for me yet. I like your theory, my husband is all for the tropics!

• I see myself living in the tropics wearing nothing but afro puffs!

• SueSue Raw Newbie

Give me sunshine and white sandy beaches over snow any day of the week! I actually love to ski and have gone skiing in sub-zero temps, but over the years the cold has become less of a friend to me. I live in NY where we have all the seasons, but give me summer!!

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

I think a warm climate really compliments being raw. My favourite weather is in the summer here (Scotland) when it has been raining and is also warm. Almost tropical, warm and moist, yeah, sounds good. I find the winters quite a challenge to stay warm and have to exercise alot and take spicy soups all the time. An infa-red sauna really helps get me though it.

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

Warm climate, all the way. I can’t stand the cold. My body seems repulsed by it. My skin longs for warm and sun and I too, seem to get browner and not burn unlike before.

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

I like it moist and cool. I used to detest heat. I would get cranky if it hit anything over 75 (Maximum 75). I still like chilly weather from early spring and especially autumn, but I can tolerate heat and sun more now. I wish there was somewhere cool that coconuts liked. :( and figs.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

same here. i used to like rain and snow A LOT more. i still find them beautiful natural phenomena, but i don’t feel “at home” in them. i think because it used to give me an excuse to be introverted and reclusive… and i don’t really get that way anymore.

versepie—australia is one of my favorite places ever. i didn’t go to the sunshine, but i hear that is the nicest part… beware of sharks though. =)

• i’m with have_mersey. i grew up in arizona and i really detest the heat. anything above about, yep, 75 completely crushes me. i’m very fair and have no tolerance for sunlight. i live in utah now and now i know that i also completely detest the snow. anything below 30 is also too much for me. in ayurveda, i’m a pitta, so having problems with heat is supposed to be a problem for me, and i’m supposed to stick to cool climates. which probably explains why i’ve wanted to live in the pacific northwest for most of my life…hopefully we’ll be there in a year. i LOVE the rain, the green, the ocean, and such clean air. bellingham, WA, is my dream home. though i’ve been looking at amsterdam also… :)

chandelle

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

amsterdam is SUCH a cool place to live. what a great city! biking everywhere is my idea of paradise. but i’d be worried about flooding in the next coming years. it’s already way below sea level.

• ooooh, good point. that makes me sad. :( i love the bicycle culture there. we don’t have a car and i really want to live in a place where we don’t need one.

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

thanks for all the great replies guys!

It is very interesting how peoples bodies seem to change when they go on raw. It also seems to be that people who grew up in warmer climates want a “break” from the hot weather (which makes perfect sense) and vise versa for those who grew up in cold.

I prefer high seventies and sunny – but I would like it to stay that at night too – I hate it when the temperatures drop at night and I need a coat. I used to work a job where I had to do physical work in high heat indexes and humidity (those Chicago summer are very humid) so I got really used to the heat than. I would rather have it be in the 90s than below 50 anyday.

Maybe it is also true that when you go raw you start eating more warm weather fruits – like coconuts, pineapples, figs etc. :)

Amysue and Versepie- When I first went raw, I still didn’t tan very well at first either and I still got some pretty serious sunburns – it took a while for me. I think also because before I did that I was afraid of tanning myself too. I started doing a lot of nude sunbathing – areas on me that had never seen the sun before got some very needed Vitamin D. :) (not saying you have to nude sunbathe not to burn!)

But now, the more time I spend in the sun the less I tend to burn so I also thinking that the more constant exposure you have helps too. Like we just moved to California this winter and before than I was in Wisconsin so I hadn’t really been out in the sun for a while. The first time I was out in the sun here I got slightly pink and bit of a burn and than yesterday I laided out for almost 2 hours and I am not sore or pink at all. So for me it seems to be a combo of how often I am out in the sun (the more often the better) and what I eat. I try to eat warm weather fruits before I go out (pineapple, coconuts) and I put on some coconut oil.

Take it slow in the beginning – I would recommend getting some of David Wolfes sunscreeen for when to first start and shorter your time in the sun at first -that is what I did. Now, I don’t even need the sunscreen anymore. David even recommends an hour of direct sun for tanning. Apparently, you only need to get 15 minutes of direct sun on your skin (any part) to get your needed Vitamin D for one day.

It took me a few years before I could really go with out sunscreen.

Pianissima – Same here – I used to be very shy and introverted. I am still a naturally quieter person but not so much now as I used to be – I preferred the cold weather too when I was like that – maybe because summer time and warmer weather was such a “social” time – which I dreaded. maybe I liked the miserable weather because I had an excuse to hole up and hide away and not be social.